Us gear

spicoli

• Baller
Thats pretty much the norm I'm afraid. Good at taking your money, terrible between then and delivery, and a good product at the end of the day. Just need to order a season in advance unfortunately. I can't do that. Brenda at InTow is my only handle source

• Administrators

@skibug that is certainly not my experience. If you're not getting the exact handle you want you should call them. They make the best product in the industry and give great service.

@Russell

• Baller
Randy I think is the owner of US Gear. Anyway he put out an email saying he was back. But it doesn't look that way. Looks like it didn't take long to get back same practices, I'd love to get another one. Using a ML for now.

• Baller_
Someone needs to buy Randy out and sell these things. You can talk In-Tow and ML all you want but the products do not compare. I spoke to a ML sponsored skier this morning and he said that nobody has been able to figure out how USG put them together but that ML is trying very hard to do so. I guess they (ML) will have some updated stuff this spring.

• Administrators

@scotchipman Spectra handles are (at least theoretically) harder on your body.

Another reason to use Masterline is that the company is run by skiers. They understand what they are selling.

• Baller_

I guess I never understood the arm thing. I would think if you put your hand/arm through the small slot between the guard and handle, the arm would not come back out. I have not seen any that would be good at preventing this.

Brenda makes a great product and I was using them back way before she was a BOS advertiser. I would recommend her products to anyone

• Baller
@Horton...not only have I called, I have been to their factory and talked to their 2nd in charge, Randy. I had a discussion with him about it. They are only offering the 1" diameter handle in the ergo. This is due to the tube size and rubber combination. They currently don't use different diameter aluminum and they don't have a way to grind the rubber like US Gear does. That is how they get the custom size diameters. At the time, Randy told me they may look into offering more size options; but, it was going to be based on the demand and volume of sales.

• Baller
@MS I wonder what they can't figure out. I actually gave them one of my US Gear handles to restring while I was down there and they did. I have also restrung 3 of my own US Gear handles....I have 6 of them and I would buy 2 more if I knew I would get them. @Horton I actually bought one of the ML Ergos at the beginning of last year and wound up selling it on SIA. Just like skis size, gloves, and everything else handle diameter makes a difference; especially when I use Masterline Prolock Gloves.

• Baller

I like my In-Tow spectra handle, bent with the cross bar. Definitely lighter than the Masterline's. I have had Masterline handles and they are great too, but I like the feel of the In-Tow better. With all the layers in a poly handle not sure any more stretch there than the spectra. My elbows like the spectra bent best.

If anyone wants to see good pictures of the In-Tow handle with cross bar look at the current Water Skier magazine (Jan/Feb 2017). Page 26 Lori Krueger, page 31 Dane Mechler, page 46 & 47 Seth Stisher. There's this Freddie Winter guy that uses In-tow too.

Brenda used to be a 3-eventer, though I don't think she skies anymore. She has been making ropes and handles a long time, herself, to order. For a lot of big names and a lot more no-names. She understands what she is selling, is passionate about it (passionate about ropes & handles is a little weird, but cool, good for us). Anyone who implies otherwise is being unfair and doing a disservice to the water ski community.

• Baller

I went through this last summer. My beloved ML ergo handle sank to the bottom of the river in 12' of water when it got flipped in the water while trick skiing. Of course ML was out of stock at the time as there was a problem with the aluminum supplier, and wasn't sure when one would be available. I can't remember his name, but someone from ML said he'd call me when they were going to start making them again...I thought "sure you will" to myself.

I decided to try US Gear from all the great product reviews here, despite the negative reviews for customer service. I went online and ordered a rope and handle, seemingly without issue. Of course weeks went by without any order confirmation from US Gear, and the ML guy called me one afternoon and said the aluminum was in and he'd be willing to make my handle if I still wanted one. So I said yes, of course.

A few days later I got a mass e-mail from Randy at US Gear stating he had some severe medical issues and he would be trying to catch up on orders. I emailed back explaining I had already purchased one, and he got a little snippy about canceling my order...not too bad though. Basically just saying he didn't understand why I wouldn't want the handle anymore after he was ready to fill my order. I explained again, and even sympathized with medical issues as I understood completely. I also suggested just a simple banner on the web page indicating there would be no response to orders due to a medical issue if something like that happened in the future. Or a voicemail message indicating the same, as I also tried calling numerous times.

Moral of the story...put some cheesy floats on your ML handle bridle like I have now and it won't sink. That, and ML really does offer some great customer service.

• Baller
@Drago 2 are essentially warn out. Then I have a bent and a straight in both 12 and 13 inch = 4. 1 out of those four is a different diameter. Change them up so they don't wear out and good for the elbows to rotate size and bent...not bent.