Any injuries to beck leg whilst using RTP or R style?

Deep11

• Baller

Apologies for yet another binding thread but since fracturing my fibula I'm considering my options before just "getting back on the horse".

What I have found is that rear strada/vapor does not release in a twisting fall when front foot out. Even with loose bungee. Clearly an unusual situation but focused the mind a little if planning to get back on the water.

Considering MOb from to maintain my vapor and RTP rear for guaranteed release - anyone see a problem with this?

OB1 have you had any issues with your MOb setup?

Many thanks

• Baller
I'm using reflex r-style. I had a fall last year were the front released and rear stayed in. It didn't hurt my ankle or knee but twisted my lower leg. All other times I've come out of both. That fall was one of my worst, one of those times when I should have given up. I had slack coming out of the ball and when it caught up the front of the ski dug in. I went into a twisting tumble. Luckily my leg was just a little sore for few days.

• Baller

This is from the Back When, but I found that my rear ankle would hurt when I got

squashed on a poor turn. Jumping probably also aggravated it. Anyway, I turned my

rear binding a bit, maybe 15 degrees. Nowhere near what is done with a trick binding.

It helped a lot. Some time later, I looked at a ski that Warren Witherell had, and he did

the same thing. "Great minds think...?!" Ho-ho.

Trivia: In his prime, was Warren ever a World Champion or record-holder in Slalom?

Or in another event?

This is video of Aidan (my son) using Double OB4/MOB system with Radar Vapor Double bindings.

He's now using OB4/MOB Vapor front with a RTP, I'm on OB4/MOB double boots.

I've only once had the rear releasing and the front not, and that was just because there was not enough stress to release the front boot, so no injuries.

• Baller
Had a Reflex pre-release at hook up and thought "Oh Chit" when I heard the click. My back foot only came out of the R style an instant before the Achilles blew, but not until after the ligaments were trashed. So it can happen.

• Baller

Because you also asked about RTP, my wife's big toe on her back foot was broken and ligaments torn on a fall crossing the wakes with a RTP.

No binding system is perfect and these are not statistically significant sample sizes.

• Baller
I have been on the MOB set up with RTP since the product came out a few years ago. I have been extremely happy with its performance and @mmosley899 provides great customer service. The rotational release of the system is what sold me on the product. I messed up my ankle a few times in a twisting fall in a reflex.

• Administrators

With any binding (Rubber, Hybrid or HardShell) if you can not get out on the dock it is dangerous. Below are two videos of me testing my personal bindings. Following these procedures is NO GUARANTEE of safety but you will have to be pretty unlucky to get hurt if you follow my methods.

• Baller

@ski6jones The boot plate that is attached to the boot is pinned in with a plunger in the front of the boot that seeds into the "socket" piece in the boot plate. The rotational force of a fall while skiing is enough to release a properly set up system. The plunger system allows the binding to release to the left, right, OTB. With the wedge holding the plate in the back of the binding during an OTF the spring in the front of the binding is compressed and the wedge allows the boot to release.

Does that explanation help?

ugdcbt5anf7w.jpg

• Baller
@horton I just want to make sure my foot comes out. I have a long flat foot, not sure if that makes a difference but I don't need the buckles very tight to feel attached to the ski.

• Baller

@Deep11 you can easily mount your existing boot on the new wider MOB boot plate with brand specific mounting holes, then use it with a rtp or you may want to try the Radar HRT. I like the HRT as an option for skiers who have been used to double boots.

tjqzpq6nae1w.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Members
While using a RTP my neighbor blew out in a turn and broke his rear ankle when the ski bit after the blowout. In that particular situation perhaps a Wiley rear would help provide some lateral support.

• Baller
@Horton my ski partner has a high instep, @parkerc2112. He said his foot felt like it was going to come out all the time regardless of how tight the buckles. I was thinking maybe move the buckle up a little but he ended up going with a Wiley's RTP and really likes it.