Tournament practice

jetpilotg4

• Baller
Just getting back to skiing tournaments after a 17 year hiatus, thanks @Horton, and lets say my tournament PB is still a ways a way from my practice PB. My question how do most of you prep for a upcoming tournament? BTW tied my PB that i set in 1999

• Baller

Go ski enough tourneys to get rid of some of the nerves. If you can ski the site ahead of time (arrive in time for practice). Ski down the line in practice with some regularity...it's amazing how you can ski a really ragged pass, shorten up and ski a clean one that is more difficult. This helps confidence following a ragged tourney pass...wash it away and just be happy you are out the end gates and go to the next one.

Ski multi-round tourneys...not only more skiing for your buck and time but more chances. Stay cool and hydrated on those days helping out where possible...sometimes by round 3 if too much sun you can feel pretty beat.

• Supporting Member

Random hints for the days before:

- Get enough sleep two nights before. (Standard athletic performance advice.) Night before matters much less.

- Ski a "moderate" practice, including going straight up the rope a few times, two days before.

- Rest the day before.

- Completely ignore the results of that last practice! It's about having your muscles prepped. It doesn't make an ounce of difference if you skied terribly. Every day is different, and a bad practice set can only affect your tournament if you THINK it's going to.

• Baller
I generally ski as well or better at turnaments. Keep in mind you need to be prepared mentally and physically. As Thad recommended be rested, unless I have a compelling reason never ski day before tournament. Better to be fresh than one more set of practice. I never feel the need to ski at tournament site, bettter to be rested, every site i have been to has the buoys in the same pattern. Your first three passes in tournament are for getting adjusted to the site. To be better mentally prepared on ski passes that you wont miss on last set before the tournament.