Best place for a water skier to live

Horton

• Administrators

I was dreaming about moving today....

Bakersfield

Days without wind, maybe the best in the world. The water is a mirror almost every day. No $h*t.

Days warm enough to ski without a drysuit - 9 or 10 months

Size of the skiing community - tiny

Cost of ski lake access - hundreds of thousands of dollars

Quality of life (schools, restaurants, culture and such) on a scale of 1 to 10 = 1

Air quality on a scale of 1 to 10 = .5

So where is the best place in the world for a skier to live?

• Baller
for just skiing Bakersfield seems hard to beat. What's wrong with the air quality in Bakersfield? There are some pretty nice places in Texas that are close to major cities. Probably any of the southern states would have a lower cost of living.

Obviously, I am biased...

Here is my pitch.

Here in Western NC, in the winter months, one can snow ski in the morning, water ski in the afternoon at the lakes that Clay & Eddie built. About 6 months out of the year, you don't need a warm top. A dry suit is needed for 5 months of the year.

Also, there is amazing mountain biking trails, road biking (e.g., blueridge parkway, Hwy 181), hiking, and white water kayaking (e.g., Narrows of the Green, Chattooga, Wautaga, etc.). There are bigger lakes too for those who like to wakeboard or surf as well as ski.

Just my $0.015 worth.

• Baller

For just water skiing, no consideration for snow skiing......Central florida by far!!!! Year round skiing without even a wetsuit needed, or various combinations of heater tops, spring suits etc for a little more comfort. We do battle the winds at times, but there are a lot of smaller lakes that manage the winds pretty well, or get up early (which we haven't really managed to accomplish.) Pros and top level ski schools everywhere. Great events like the BB&B and KOD. And boating in general, from the multiple chain of lakes, springs, and coastal areas within about an hour of everywhere. I constantly kick myself for living here for almost 30 years and only taking advantage of the boating/water skiing for the last 5 years.

Not too long ago I was browsing around at Performance Ski (another advantage of Central Florida) and stopped to look at the dry suits. I told my girlfriend that the day I have to ware a dry suit is the day I need to move.

• Baller

Arizona, here is why:

Warmer in the winter than So Cal Dry suit Dec 15 through Feb 15th, shorty to April 1st Heater top to May 1st, buck naked to end of October.

Less wind in general

6th largest city in the US one hour away including international airport.

Great people (my opinion, may not get full agreement on this)

Favorable regulations to our sport.

Public water access is good.

Did I mention lots O Sun?

• Baller_

Second vote for Central Florida.

On the other hand, as a water skier I thoroughly enjoyed living in Lake Placid, NY. We water ski from late April to November (okay, so a lot of that skiing is pretty cold, on public water and subject to the vagueries of rain, wind and snow). When you are done on the water, there are mountains to climb, lakes and rivers to canoe, kayak and fish, forests to hunt, world class snow skiing and an internationally known destination resort to enjoy with restaurants and shopping. There are more Olympic sports for your kids to do than time to try them, like alpine, nordic, freestyle and free ride competitive skiing, bobsled, luge, skeleton, hockey, figure skating, and speed skating, plus snow shoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling and rabbit hunting. You can do all of this and not drive further than a twenty minutes from town.

As for the water ski scene, the 2012 and 2013 M2 National Slalom Champions are from our area. My ski partner is a former pro skier. Seven of us from our immediate and active ski community have skied Nationals in recent years, accumulating three medals. We have three slalom courses within about a 10 mile diameter.

Eight miles from town, we have a fully stocked pro shop and Nautique dealership. If you can’t find what you need in the shop, H2OProShop.com is headquartered in the same building, as is the Fogman world HQ.

The air and water quality is pristine. Views in every direction are spectacular. All the women are strong, the men are good-looking and the children are above average.

Damn, I think I just talked myself into moving back home.

Lpskier

• Baller
I know it isn't in the greater Boston area. We have good public access within about 20 minutes of downtown Boston and I am aware of a number of other sites both public and private within an hour of Boston. That said the season is short and housing expensive. I am tremendously fortunate to own a house on public water with a slalom course and have multiple ski partners available with flexible schedules. I would love to be able to ski a longer season though.

• Baller

@Golfguy

Have looked all over the greater Phoenix area and same problem as @Horton in that other stuff to do is 1-1.5 hours away from reasonably priced skiing (Buchli, Lakeside, Spring Mountain). And the closer lakes are only for the super rich (Crystal Point, San Tan) and the min. sq. ft house size is way more space and cost than anyone needs. Especially as it would be used only for the 6 months of our winter.

It kills me that my wife loves Phoenix and would be on board to buy a place “down south” for winter but neither of us want to be that far away from decent shopping, restaurants and other things to do.

• Baller

As far as Bako goes, that's why a majority of us live in really nice communities in the L.A. and Orange County areas and go to Bako on weekends to ski. You can't beat Bako for skiing, no winds (or hurricanes), reasonable size bugs, fairly low humidity and storms,

great sunsets and over 9 months of skiing with no dry suits. One of our owners jokes how he leaves Malibu to come to Bako on weekends. Normally 90 minute drive all highway.

• Baller

While everyone thinks it snows and is cold 10 months a year in Michigan, we actually ski April through early November. What , I think, we do better is access to water. There are over 11,000 inland lakes in the state. I live on a 550 acre lake and you can still find a home on the lake for under 250K. Even though our lake has a slalom course and reasonable conditions most of the time, I rarely ski on it. The reason, 9 miles from my house myself and 3 ski buds lease a 2100" long private lake. It sits behind a locked gate totally hidden from the road and the only boat on it is ours. You get pretty spoiled reallyqlc38eabzv6z.jpeg

quick! The best part, total expenses (boat included) averages around $2500 per year per member.

• Members
@dbski That looks like the site in Tecumseh where I got to train with Wade a few years ago. Incredible site, just wish it was closer to me. I'd still prefer a warmer climate. Our season of skiing comfortably is about 6 months at best. Everything else is varying degrees of misery. One of my retirement criteria is picking a location where palm trees can grow natively. This guarantees a better season length. Then you just need a site that isn't at the mercy of the wind.

• Baller

Welcome to Sweden! B)

1000 usd Will give you membership in type 10 clubs.

Not much need for insurances.

School are free including university.

Medicare are almost free.

Public transportation is great.

You will manage great with English

Ok we have winter and world record in taxes.... o:)

• Baller

I can't argue for MN...sorry it's climate. I live on a public lake with a course, I'm 45 minutes from a private two lake set up, I'm 10 miles from two seldom used public lakes with courses that have wind protection. The season...the really nice part where I wear shorts and a vest the season is short. We use all we can, but geez I think the candidates for the top of this list need be south.

Bako no amenities, AZ expensive, I have no TX experience, some affordable joints in FL for sure not too far from civilization.

• Baller
Northern states of Australia offer some pretty amazing year round weather conditions, Florida like. There are some good lakes around as well - Bushy Brown's man made lake at Woodford QLD is world class as is Stoney Park on the NSW central coast.

• Baller
Can't say if its the best but I have to admit we have it pretty good. Live on a ski lake , few homeowners with plenty of water time. 8 months of no wetsuit skiing. 20 minutes to major city. 10 minutes to suburb. Large lot , big house. Snow 1 hour away , beach 2 hours. Can't complain

• Members
The craziest thing about Arvin/Bakersfield is that we get glass all year long, not just in the summer. The hardest part about living here is when you have to stare at the glass when your ski buddies' schedules don't match yours. Plenty of culture if you know where to look; e.g., right now Little Women is on at The Empty Space for $15. When you're ready to ski - live here. When you're ready to retire - well, maybe consider Asheville or Sedona. Did I mention we don't have bugs or humidity?

• Baller
I know this is going to sound like heresy, but I moved from Central Florida to a place that may be among the toughest to be a skier in the whole country. I now ski more often, have more fun, am less banged up and my scores have gone up. For me, I need the offseason to do other things and to recharge. Once I can get on the water I go all out.

• Baller
Good points @jcamp. Just my thoughts... In terms of overall quality of life when raising a family I think that New England is hard to beat. The skiing is pretty good too. Usually about a 6 month season. Almost 7 months the past few years.

• Baller

@BraceMaker, I agree its tough to get a permit for a course, it's also tough to keep one! The first course on our lake was a sinker. One guy on the shore where the course was located complained we were skiing in the morning and the DNR pulled the permit. 1 GUY! I was the president of our lake association at the time and I got all the prior presidents to sign a letter of protest to no avail. Thats when I bailed and searched out our present situation. Since then another group of skiers went though the process and did get a new permit. Lots of hoops to jump through and the course is in the middle of the lake wide open to the wind. I too enjoy the seasons. I get acclimated to the cold and its no big deal. Enjoy snow skiing, ice boating and winter hikes. Come March though I'm ready for the warmth and to get back on the water. Just wondering if you southerners acclimate to the heat. When I was in Charleston for the Malibu this year it was F____g HOT! Kicked my ass.

• Baller

In the last few years, I've started taking my sky with me to different parts of the world.

If it weren't for language and work — in other words, if I had enough money that it didn't matter — I'd seriously consider Italy. For everything else first (culture, food, etc.), skiing second... but there seem to great clubs/lakes well-placed throughout the country. The same could probably be said for France. A little further south, there's a great club 30 minutes from Madrid, Spain, or another an hour from Lisbon, Portugal.

• Baller

I will put in a vote here on this Geographical Survey for Oregon. We have a pretty active ski community. I have to say, it's too cold to encourage 3-event type of dedication. We have a lot of slalom skiers. Any tourney will have mostly slalom, and an occasional jumper, and almost no trick skiers. But it can be beautiful for about three months of the year. The ski lakes are very natural and if anyone wants to see a venue which has trees and also controlled conditions, come here. Not the place to max out if you want to be the best skier ever but it's fun.wsai41d6gr96.jpg

When you qualify best as: affordability, proximity to work and a great potential return on investment then you would have to consider Ski Texas Phase One. Just finishing up reforming the banks of the south lake, and in three or so years drain the lakes and rebuild them.yvg4obqzpw93.jpg

• Administrators
I was talking to @liquidz today and I'm pretty sure Sacramento is Paradise. Nice weather, a long season, and affordable skiing at world-class sites. If they could just get rid of @dirt the place would be perfect.

• Baller

z5dyaaprxqf2.png

I've been fortunate to ski many phenomenal sites, all over the world, back a decade (and more) ago... and over the past few years, had had the privilege of carrying skis and riding in the boat holding a rope release at many beautiful sites in many countries. Wouldn't trade it for the world. But, as for the best place for a water skier to live? It really seems like a no-brainer to me. Central Florida takes the cake, and Winter Garden, at the Isles of Lake Hancock, is the gem of all, with prime lots featuring double lakefront, and boathouses front and rear. 83k8kt8k2235.jpeg

There are just so many terrific ski options throughout Central Florida. If you are serious about a move here, or buying property, message me and we can begin the process of finding the win.

Drew Ross

Stockworth Realty Group

sv47kecpl3ys.jpeg

• Baller

Yup, I can highly recommend Drew, if you are looking in the central Florida area! He was of exceptional help, finding us our new paradise and guiding us through the whole process of buying a property down here a few years back. Can’t thank him enough for all he’d done and all he went through with us as foreign buyers. I really can’t say enough good things about him. Thanks again Drew, you couldn’t have found us a better place to live and we absolutely love our new home!

qu05wg1bmf5n.jpeg

• Baller

For me the best place to live is where I am now.The Brainerd lakes area of northern MN.I live on a public lake however most of the time its mine to enjoy perfect water and conditions.I ski from may 1st and well into october and ski 2 or even 3 times a day.My season is shorter however I probably get more runs in then most people in warmer climates.The MN economy is strong and lakeshore is reasonable.I probably have 400 lakes within a short distance from my place that would be perfect for skiing.When it turns to ice you can head to a warm climate and do some skiing.For me its utopia.......a skiers paradise!!ir8me6ic2l88.jpg

mtmgabxn232y.jpg

u644crt4ptiv.jpg

• Baller
@DavidN thank you for the glowing endorsement and kind words, and most of all, glad to hear that you love your wonderful paradise! Beyond the exceptional conditions of your place, I can imagine the pleasure of living amongst the incredible group of skiers you have there. And isn't it nice to see that we have a return to glorious temperatures in the days ahead!

• Baller
We just got back from Orlando, and it seemed like I saw a course on every little pond we came across. I'd consider retiring / semi-retiring in FL, but have a pretty strong fear of those alligators. Do you FL guys just get used to the idea of sharing the water with them? Is the law of averages of an attack so on your side, that you don't think about it? I think I'd shart myself if I saw a set of gator eyes staring at me while floating in the water.

• Members
@swc5150 I'd worry more about the gators if I DIDN'T see their eyes. Seriously, no longer ski with them, but did years ago. It was never a problem for us, though they'd get a bit close at times. Crocs I'd worry about. Gators not so much.