Starting RTP

JAS

I start one foot in, it’s so much easier and burn way less energy. At 180lbs I’m up at the hit of the throttle. I use to start with both feet in cause I learned that way and figured out the one foot thing and I never went back to using both feet.

• Baller
@dbski that's something I never did figure out. When the boat goes I sort of just push my butt towards the handle as the boat accelerates and that flattens the ski and puts my hips and chest on top of the water. I don't even get my upper chest wet. So I think people just assume you have to plow the water?

• Baller
I agree with @BraceMaker. For years I was told to keep the tip way up. That led to major plowing and a lot of wasted energy. Once I changed to focusing on keeping the back of the ski high and my weight a bit more forward, I got up with almost no effort using a soft boat pull. Not saying this works for everyone and maybe it's more of a mindset and not what I actually end up doing. If you feel you put a lot of effort into the start then try some different things to save that energy for the course.

• Baller
When I drag my rear foot I really extend my rear leg back and point my toes. The top of your foot acts like another planing surface and aids getting up faster. I let my chest come up over my bent front knee. The older I get the more important it is to lessen stains on the back. I've had one back surgery already, don't want anymore!

• Baller
I agree with @vtmecheng, @BraceMaker -- keeping the tip way up doesn't seem to be efficient. I do remember seeing a video on youtube of a burly skier that started with the ski almost vertical: the boat seemed to give him a hard pull and he was out of the water in no time. For me, what works with little strain on my back is to touch the back of my ski with my butt and the top of my front boot with the handle. I'd say the ski is 25-30 degrees from parallel to the water. Starts in this way are easy now, but I struggled for a long time when I was learning...

• Baller
I started doing the both-feet-in start about a year ago. I agree with @Stevie Boy that you don't always have time to basically put your rear foot in after you get up. I used to kick it forward (trying to get into the RTP) all the way til just about the pull-out for the course, which was kind of unsettling. It was a lot harder at first when I started with both feet in. But I changed how I get up and it's no big deal now. It helps to not keep the ski straight up when you are just finding your start position. It needs to be somewhat across your body (point the tip about 30 degrees toward the side for your front foot). That keeps you from falling over when you are getting dragged. Once the pullup starts, you will straighten out naturally (no effort ... it just happens). I also try to put the handle about on top of my front boot. Basically don't separate the pulling point (handle) from the fulcrum or lift point, which is your feet. That helps keep you from getting pulled around any direction (sideways, over the front, etc.). I also built my own heel strap, so now I can keep my rear foot in pretty much the same position all the time. That helped me and it might be mental but it feels more secure/consistent that way.

• Baller
Either way works fine. Dragged a foot for decades... Usually both feet in now. If I'm wearing a shin guard on my back leg, it won't stay on if I'm dragging it.. .Now that I'm learning to ski the course, I prefer to have both feet in rather than risk the last second struggle to get foot in place.

I have dragged forever and find my back foot is in before I am on plane. However, wearing a rear knee brace now I may start back foot in as the drag pulls hard on the brace as @Bookm_dano noted with his shin guard.

@BraceMaker and @vtmecheng you are basically using techniques to get the tip of the ski down/flat on the water without submarining it at the start if I read your tips correctly?

• Baller

@OldboyII Rotate it like a trick ski (RFF - the left rear foot twists counter clockwise). Twisting it the wrong way destroyed my hip.

I switched to a toe kicker because I couldn't get up two footed after my hip surgery. Actually I couldn't ski on a RTP so I made a hardshell toe kicker.

Hurt my front knee this spring. Now I have to get up two footed on my clever kick in hardshell. Go figure.

On tricks, I always get up one footed. Much lower energy. Plus it reinforces the habit of keeping your weight off the back foot.

Eric

• Baller

For me I don't really think about the tip. It is just that the end result of the position is that once the rope is taut and you start to press your hips up while keeping your knees bent the ski will initially come down and you will go up.

I think my start changed when I started trying to learn trick skiing. It's all about surface area and being on top of it, and there is no need to hold a tip way out of the water, even if it goes under it will come up.