I seem to hate all gloves now

Than_Bogan

• Baller
Interesting inputs on the Tail 41s - I have had Reds, Yellow, and the new Blacks. New are by far the worst, especially the grey material between fingers. I think the new Blacks fit like the old Reds, and my favorite were the Yellow, so there you go. One thing is for sure though. No two tail 41s are the same. The build quality of each vary all over the map. I never order gloves on the web because of this, and usually have to try on and swap L or R gloves to find fingers that are the same length, and proper fit. It would be nice if the companies could reel in the build quality control on their gloves.

Skinny to average hand size with longer fingers here. So I struggle with size between M and L. Couldn’t get my L red 41 tails to stay Velcro’d on back of palm so went to the O’Brien x grip. Those were better for my hand. At the same time I got a pair of O’Brien pro skins for my daughter....in a M. I’m now borrowing those the last few times out. I love those things. But they may be discontinued now.

Than, Pro gear gloves are the way forward. The key to using them is to make sure the velcro on the back of the hand is real tight, that is first hand from Clint at the Swiss who makes them. This stops any rucking, which causes hand problems. The grip is the best and they are tough.

I changed last year from many years of K-palms, I wouldn't go back. I believe Cale uses them, so check with him being a Denali pilot. Give it a few sets and you will forget about gloves. Regards R.

• Supporting Member

@roberto Well that is super-interesting, as overall my first experience was quite positive, but I definitely had some bunching issues (and according to google dictionary that's what rucking means :) ).

I'm also in communication with an expert user (who sold them to me), but your post seems prescient.

Does it matter that I'd have to hang the back flap beyond the velcro to tighten the back any more? Or does that imply I should go down even another size (to two below what I use for "normal" gloves)?

• Baller

Just my $0.02 worth, I don't recommend ditching the liners but I could suggest an alternative to the kevlar glove liners most people use. I'm now using these Ansell Hyflex 11-318 cut resistant safety liners (ansell.com/en/Brands/Hyflex/Metal-Fabrication/hyflex-11-318 and they are terrific. They're very lightweight and tight fitting and they seem to be holding up much better than the yellow kevlar glove liners I used to use. They're also thin enough for me to get them inside my Masterline K-palms that have extremely tight/narrow fingers.

I believe the cut resistant fabric in them is Dyneema. I actually communicated with an applications expert at Ansell about whether Dyneema or Kevlar would be best for our specific application and they recommended Dyneema over Kevlar and after one season using them, I wholeheartedly agree. I actually might start another thread just to make people aware this product is out there if I can't find it talked about in any other threads.

I also recommend a skinnier and curved handle for better grip.

• Baller

Just my $0.02 worth, I don't recommend ditching the liners but I could suggest an alternative to the kevlar glove liners most people use. I'm now using these Ansell Hyflex 11-318 cut resistant safety liners (ansell.com/en/Brands/Hyflex/Metal-Fabrication/hyflex-11-318 and they are terrific. They're very lightweight and tight fitting and they seem to be holding up much better than the yellow kevlar glove liners I used to use. They're also thin enough for me to get them inside my Masterline K-palms that have extremely tight/narrow fingers.

I believe the cut resistant fabric in them is Dyneema. I actually communicated with an applications expert at Ansell about whether Dyneema or Kevlar would be best for our specific application and they recommended Dyneema over Kevlar and after one season using them, I wholeheartedly agree. I actually might start another thread just to make people aware this product is out there if I can't find it talked about in any other threads.

I also recommend a skinnier and curved handle for better grip.

• Baller

I may try the pro gear, but if they are similar to the Miami gloves it will likely be a no go. I know this sounds crazy, but in our lake the Miami gloves feel "slick". When I'm at other lakes they feel fairly tacky, but at home it feels like there is no stick.

• Baller

I'm on the original blue Vapor Boas with liners. They work great until the water is above 75 degrees for me. Then the blisters start. However, I've discovered that Nexcare Waterproof First Aid tape is a miracle product. Far more effective than duct tape. It's rubbery and compresses a bit, but works awesome. Doesn't leave any messy residue to get all over throttles, steering wheels, etc. Pulls right off, but only when you want it to.

I got a giant blood blister skiing this past Sunday under my middle callus on my right hand. Thought my week at the lake was shot. I randomly found this stuff at Target and decided to give it a try. Blisters are gone and hands feel great. Been skiing daily at least two sets a day.

Try it! I may even ditch the glove liners. If it works for me at 255 lbs and heavier on the line than average, it'll work for you.

Amazon Link to the stuff

I run it in strips from the first knuckle on problematic fingers, down across the callus, terminating on the heel of my palm. If covering a blister on a finger, wrap it twice. If covering a blister on a palm, use two layers crossing starting on the back of your hand and going around either side of the corresponding finger in strips that terminate on the heel of the palm.

• Baller
I'm using the Pro Gear gloves for the first time this year. I went smaller than normal on the size and put them on wet. No callus problems this year. They seem to be holding up well. A lot better than the HO Legends I had last year. I do wish they would switch to the high strength Velcro like they use on the Legends. Regular Velcro just doesn't last that long.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan my situation is very similar to yours. Had some Chris Parrish 436 that had amara palms and they were the bomb. Next gen of those gloves werent as comfortable. Tried other gloves with no success until the Tail 41’s that we’re red. Liked the green Tail 41’s too. Wanted to get the radar boa but they weren’t comfortable so I settled with a stretchy blue HO syndicate (I believe it is at least) glove. At first I liked them but now not so much as I have kind of shredded them. To compound the problem my forearm has been aching after any cracks at 32. So the dilemma is what to do now.

Well, one thing that helped me was to start using a bigger handle which has really helped with forearm fatigue. Now I’ll probably start using a bigger diameter handle from now one. I’ll continue to wear my red and green tail 41’s until they really rip apart.

Just read that in tow is looking into a new glove design so we’ll see how that goes. I’m up for giving that a shot.

Until then I’ll keep using a bigger handle and keep searching for gloves I love.

Hello Ballers!

I read through this topic a little bit and have tried my best over the last two years to solve this exact problem and make a great waterski glove.

This is year 1 for me making gloves under the brand Stealth . We have one glove at the moment and have aimed to make a plain and simple, comfy, grippy, great looking glove that should last longer than the others.

So far we have had great success.

Please hit me up in person or send me an email to ryandodd@live.com to place an order. If you buy them direct from me and don’t like them you can send them back to me I will refund or exchange sizes and I’ll pay your return shipping. I really believe in the gloves and am willing to take the time to get you in the right size and to love the gloves you wear. We have sizes XXXs for kids and girls all the way to some massive XXl

They are also sold at Perfski, Shuswap Ski and Board in Canada, Wing Wetsuits in Aussie, Buy Wake in Korea, Skifly.com, Pickos Ski Shop, and Miranda Ski School.

Grip and Rip Ballers

Hello Ballers!

I read through this topic a little bit and have tried my best over the last two years to solve this exact problem and make a great waterski glove.

This is year 1 for me making gloves under the brand Stealth . We have one glove at the moment and have aimed to make a plain and simple, comfy, grippy, great looking glove that should last longer than the others.

Please hit me up in person or send me an email to ryandodd@live.com to place an order. If you buy them direct from me and don’t like them you can send them back to me I will refund or exchange sizes and I’ll pay your return shipping. I really believe in the gloves and am willing to take the time to get you in the right size and to love the gloves you wear. We have sizes XXXs for kids and girls all the way to some massive XXl

They are also sold at Perfski, Shuswap Ski and Board in Canada, Wing Wetsuits in Aussie, Buy Wake in Korea, Skifly.com,

Hello Ballers!

They are also sold at Perfski, Shuswap Ski and Board in Canada, Wing Wetsuits in Aussie, Buy Wake in Korea, Skifly.com,

Hello Ballers!

Hello Ballers!

This is year 1 for me making gloves under the brand Stealth . We have one glove at the moment and have aimed

to make a plain and simple, comfy, grippy, great looking glove that should last longer than the others.

Hello Ballers!

This is year 1 for me making gloves under the brand Stealth . We have one glove at the moment and have aimed

to make a plain and simple, comfy, grippy, great looking glove that should last longer than the others.

Hello Ballers!

Hello Ballers!

Hello Ballers!

Hello Ballers!

Hello Ballers!

• Baller

@RampDodd I think we got it

@Skoot1123 The InTow gloves have been in the planning/design phase for way too long now. They were supposed to be in April of this year but went through another redesign process. I'm patiently waiting to try these too.

Also, Masterline just re-introduced a new version of their Curves (and K-Palm) gloves today. Looks interesting, wonder if anyone here may have tried these yet?

• Baller

@Than_Bogan Any updates on your experience with the ProGears?

After tearing 2 of the fingers off of my red 41 tails, I got a pair of the new black ones, and I'm less than satisfied. The material on the back side of the fingers is much more elastic, and I haven't been able to keep them from moving/bunching some. Maybe I needed to drop a size compared to the reds I had, but I can barely get these on dry. Also, the stitching around the fingers is an annoyance.

• Supporting Member

I'm still mid "figuring it out." The ProGears definitely show promise, but I'm not entirely comfortable with them yet. They're supposed to fit super-tight, but they don't really seem sized for that. Instead of a super-tight glove proportioned to my hand, it's very obvious that I'm just stretching out a glove proportioned to a much smaller hand. As a specific example, the divides between the fingers are about lined up with my first knuckle.

I am told that many come to love that fit, but I'm not there currently.

• Baller

@scorban2 I have been happy with the pro gear gloves from a fit and grip standpoint with minimal callus buildup. I have worn a hole in the palm near my little finger in the last couple weeks.

The biggest complaint is the Velcro is starting to wear out. The straps are starting to let loose when I'm getting up at each end of the lake.

• Baller

@DaveD Velcro is a "hooks and loops". The part which wears out is "loops".

Normally "hooks" are on wrist of the glove and "loops" are on the strap (because it is softer than "hooks".

Any workshop or shoe repair shop will replace this part of velcro on the glove strap within minutes. And your glove will be like new.

Or.... DIY ))

• Baller
Been using ProGear gloves for about 9 years now, and love the feel and grip on the handle. Make sure that they fit real tight when you put them on dry. They will stretch out a little when wet. I don't use power pads or underliners ever.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
Have always been tough on gloves. The forefinger on my left had will wear a hole in the glove within 2 sets. Have tried several gloves and found the Tail 41's to be the go to glove but still put a hole in them. As everyone has said, the green ones just do not last. 2 pair of Connelly Claw 3.0 just arrived and these look and fit great. They even have pads on the fore and pinky finger. These are the best, most durable gloves I have ever used. I bought 2 more pair because they are on sale at Oveton's.

• Baller_
Just got a new pair of gloves from a big name manufacturer. Great fit, really comfortable and wonderful grip. The only negative thing I can say is that it only took three sets to wear a hole in them. The really good news is that my retailer and the manufacturer will stand behind them.

Lpskier

• Baller
I stick with Masterline pro locks. This thread is evidence that when it comes to gloves there’s no clear winner- all have some negatives & wear out too fast. My complaint with the pro locks is sometimes the dowel twists a bit & it feels weird when grabbing back onto the handle after a turn. I stick with them, though, mainly because I ski almost everyday and I believe (I hope) they protect my elbows & wrists from tendinitis- not sure if they actually do but I’m thankfully pretty pain free considering how much I ski.

• Supporting Member

Update:

I have gotten the Small ProGears to work for me. I've been wearing them for some good performances, and they haven't stood in the way. That's a bigger endorsement than I can give to any other glove I've tried recently! The grip is good, my forearms aren't dying, and my hands haven't gotten beat up, even with no liners.

For me to make a strong endorsement of the product, however, they would need to reshape them a bit, so that the main glove is as tight as the Small, but the overall length is longer, so that it would be a lot more comfortable for simple tasks like putting soap into a binding. I'd probably also suggest at least a slight pre-curve.

If you decide to give the ProGears a shot, definitely hit up @PSM. Pete has been enormously helpful in getting me some gloves that actually work for me.