Change in rope length vs rope twist

ski6jones

• Baller

I measured my rope today with various numbers of twists and found a maximum change of just over 1 inch with 50 twists.

I measured the 28 off loop with 0 to 50 twists incrementing by 10 (red) and 50 to 0 decrementing by 10 (green). The rope is about a year old. I tried to reduce measurement error by;

Measuring under constant tension, about 45 pounds,

Using constant tesnsion on the measuring tape by pulling it to the same length on a fixed object before making the measurement.

Divisions on the tape were 0.002 m.

It would appear that even with 50 twists, which seems like a lot, the change in length just exceeds 1 inch. The differences are from the initial measurement so there appears to be some hysterisis when unwinding the rope. Below 30 twists the difference is negligible.

z4aco3hslqlq.png

• Baller

@mwetskier if you are running 38 and shorter the inches make a difference. At 32 and longer not two inches doesn't make a difference.

How much stiffer a twisted rope might feel to me is a bigger issue. I can see where a twisted rope would feel stiffer which is a bad thing for your hands and elbows.

• Baller

Below about 30 twists and the change is a few millimeters. When twisting the rope up to 50 it really started to resist being twisted. I don't think the rope would naturally twist that much, which I think also means the change in length is negligible for the number of twists the rope will take before the force required to add more twists becomes too great.

I took out about 10 twists from my rope that were there from the last time I skied before starting to measure.

On the stiffness of the rope I would think twists would make it feel less stiff. Another project for someone.

• Supporting Member

Cool data! I think you slightly buried the lede, though. The take-home is that any sane number of twists has negligible effect on rope length.

Pretty fascinating that the rope just barely lengthens from the cycle of twisting and untwisting. (Right?)

• Baller
I don't think the difference of a twisted rope will make a difference in my skiing, but it still drives me mad and I will continue to unwind it. My questions, is when I fall and picked up the rope is always (or all most every time) twisted counterclockwise. Seem that it should be random.

• Baller

@jackq I think it depends on the handle. Some handles tend to propeller one way or the other based on how they are strung. I've found that since I started using a head protector on my handle, no more rope twist.

btw, I also can't help but unwind if needed while waiting for a start!

• Baller_
I would expect a twisted rope to stretch and contract more than a non stretched rope. As it shortens, a load on it will cause it to stretch back closer to untwisted condition. A straight rope has less ability to stretch than a twisted one.

• Baller_

I was pondering the how to - perhaps attach one end to a fixed object, use a (fish) scale on the other and measure load v distance and overall length all relative to # or twists.

Might make a great kids school project.

• Baller_

So, I may need to reconsider my previous comment. I untwisted my main line and took a set and surprisingly the rope seemed to have a bit more stretch. Could be other factors but it sure did seem to be a bit more forgiving and stretchy. Just adds to my thought that it would make a great experiment. Of course like everything else in this sport, could be simply a mental thing.

@dave2ball : the fish scale was more of a reference, I would think a 0-500 # scale would be wanted to get enough pull and accuracy. You could do it crudely with a few people of different mass and off the back of a tow hitch, simply measure distance v person leaning back at a prescribed angle, may not get enough accuracy that way. You may just get a subjective response using people leaning back in a fixed setting.