HRT bindings

PacMan

• Baller

So I've been using double animal bindings or something close to it basically forever. Lately I've been looking at different binding setups and have always been curious about the Hybrid Rear Toe plate bindings that Radar makes. I feel like it would allow my rear ankle to flex much more freely while maintaining some of the "locked in" feeling that a full rear boot gives you.

I'm just curious about opinions in the community about this style of binding and how well they release.

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the T Factors and one of the HRT's but am planning on trying the syndicate hard shell too but figure the HRT would be good to try before changing the front binding.

• Baller_

From double boots, I tried just an RTP and then an RTP with a heal cup (basically an HTR) and gave up. Felt beyond out of sorts.

Back on double hardshell (animal bindings are stiff like that), after some time, I tried again but this time with a hardshell front and a Reflex Rstyle to help with the very uneasy and bizzar feeling of nothing holding my rear ankle like the animal bindings would. I used a tall reflex liner with the Rstyle and a Velcro strap around the top of it and tightened till it felt like I had a full rear boot on. Basically faked out my own mind into thinking I had double boots on but with the free movement of an HRTP. Worked very well.

• Baller_
Went from rear Wiley to HRT last summer. It took a few sets and some tweaking but love it now. Tried the BOA HRT but is on a feather frame and cant move on the plate like the string tie version on rear plate. I can get closer to my front with it.

• Baller
I went from a double Radar setup to the HRT early last summer due to torn calf muscle in rear leg from non-release. It was an easy change offering a little more freedom of ankle with a solid base encompassing the entire heel. I come out of it easily and my front foot releases more consistently. buoy count went up.

• Baller

Cool, thanks guys.

@BraceMaker I thought for the mob system you want a boot that will not come off because it will sink. Are you using the double mob system or are you using just the plate for the boot to mount it to your ski?

@MS good to know I was looking at the boa but will probably go with the string tie now. I have my rear as close to my front foot as possible and want to keep that if I'm gonna try something new.

Switched to an HRT this year. Took a good 3 to 4 sets to get used to it. It was all sorts of weird feeling water on my ankle while turning, and very foreign having that much freedom. I really wanted to make this work so i stuck it out, and now really really like it.

One trick i do to make myself feel more connected, I put my foot in and instead of kicking it forward towards the front boot, I pull it back so my heel makes contact with the heel piece. Then i tighten down. I did cut my feather frame down to allow for bolting closer to the front binding. And yes they release, a bit easier than the Vapor bindings (so now i run my vapors a bit looser up top)

• Baller

I am a fan of the HRT. Like @MS I had a lace up and then the Boa, although I waited until it came out on the aluminium frame

https://perfski.com/ski/slaloms/waterski-bindings/radar-2019-hrt-boa-aluminum-plate-standard.html

You can offset the binding to whatever degree you want as with any other binding on an aluminium plate.

The lace version does feel a bit firmer.

I have had no problems releasing from either.

• Baller
Is it possible to take the HRT off of the feather frame boot and mount it to an aluminum frame? (from some other binding I'm not using anymore). I would need an XL boot and they only put that on a feather frame. This is to be attached to an HO ski.

• Baller
I skied a RTP all my life --- but switched to DHW about 12 years ago. tried the HRT for a few sets (probably should have given it longer) but missed the wrapped up connected to the ski feeling of tight Double High Wraps. So @MS got a good deal on his 2nd HRT.

• Baller

I only see downsides with the feather frame. Still wondering why Radar is even offering these.

Feather frame fits only Radar brand skis, limits the amount the binding can be pivoted, limits the amount the boot can be mounted forward/aft, seems less sturdy, ...

(Talking rear boot here.)

• Baller

I had double T factors and went to a HRT last summer. As others mentioned took a few skis to get used to it but love it now.

The biggest issue I had with the t factor in the rear is it limited my ability to move my rear leg/ shin forward and when I did I would get chaffing on my shin. HRT has eliminated this problem.

HRT has also helped me use my front leg more and less back leg stomps in the corner. All in all a great transition for me that has helped to improve my overall technique.

I have the BOA version and like the ease of use but haven’t ever used the bungee version.