Ropes: A Word of Caution and A Request for Suggestions

PeterAK

• Members

Tonight my ski rope broke pulling my partner. I hit it and he made it about five feet before it snapped a foot in front of the handle. The rope recoiled and zinged my left arm, which didn't cause injury, but did sting for ten minutes. If it had shot a foot to the left, it would have hit my seven year old son in the face. It was a few years old but I don't ski as much as many of you, and it didn't show any fraying, certainly not in the spot it broke. I have considered buying a shock tube but it hasn't been on my list of boat stuff to spend money on. It is now.

I'm an open water skier. I don't think I need to spend the money on a tournament quality rope. I do have large hands so a wide handle would be nice. Any recommendations for a good rope that is priced reasonably, and where to buy a shock tube?

My seven year old started skiing last year and can ski long line if someone is in the water helping him stay stable before hitting it. This year he started wakeboarding. Tonight we had the boom on for my buddy's son to try skiing, and my son decided he wanted to ski again. Without telling me, he kicks off one of the skis and gives me this shit eating grin. Love it.

id8p2kc38j19.jpg

• Baller_
20 some years ago my buddy was pulling hard across the wake as his rope broke at the handle. Shock tube didn't keep the rope from hitting my son just above the eye. He was 18 months old in mom's lap at the time. Often wonder if this is why he has never shown an interest in the sport I love :(

Was it the handle rope or the actual ski rope? Leaving ropes out in the sun is really hard on them. It won’t fray them but weakens the fibers drastically. Sun fading is a hint that the rope is damaged but not a reliable sign. We use Masterline ropes at our lake. They’re great but we still replace them twice a year. Every member provides their own handle. I replace mine every year and I never lend it out. I keep a loaner handle in my locker if someone needs to borrow one. Shock tubes are available everywhere but I’ve still had handles hit the windshield even with shock tubes. Also, a rope doesn’t have to break to come back at you. I launched one into the boat letting go when I couldn’t hold on through a turn when I grabbed a little too much angle.

• Baller

A shock tube will help keep the rope from wrapping around the driver's neck and it cuts down on recoil somewhat, but I am skeptical that it would have prevented what happened to you. I almost had my shoulder dislocated from a handle snap while driving (and it left a hideous bruise), and we were using a shock tube. A rope snapping under load is going to recoil even worse than a handle snap. (I still recommend using shock tubes).

It is also a good practice to pull any rope out of the line up when starts to have that stiff and tired look and feel to it. Worn ropes look and feel tired even if they are not frayed. I generally won't push a rope longer than a full season in any event.

• Baller
One of our bigger skiers popped the handle and the rope recoiled around the drivers neck. The handle hit the water and he chopped the throttle but as you can imagine, the rope was still under great pressure and choking him. I was spotter and was able to grab the rope and get it off of him. It happened so fast, I never ski without a shock tube since then.

• Baller
@PeterAK my son never got up in the water on two skis without someone holding him he went right to one ski and we did it long line. My son's sister who is older dropped a ski and learned to ski on one and my son wanted to do it. He was too small to control the skis in the water without the bar connected and asked if he could try one. It took 3 or 4 tries before he got out of the water but pretty quickly he was a slalom skier.

• Baller
The rope is the most dangerous thing in the boat, under tension, laying across the water, or just sitting there in a coil with the potential to come under load at any time (gets caught on something at speed, etc., who knows. In general I try to be very aware of it all the time as a driver, spotter, and skier. I also replace annually.

• Supporting Member

My two cents, which is mostly just a summary of the above:

Get a high quality rope.

Keep it out of the sun.

Retire it if any significant fraying happens.

Retire it after two seasons regardless of what it looks like.

• Members

Thank you all for the feedback.

@Bailey the break was between the v and the loop on the handle section.

I've ordered the Masterline rope linked by @ski6jones, along with a Masterline handle and shock tube.

• Baller

You inspired me today. Decided to replace my year old Masterline handle and rope that had maybe 30 sets on it. Decided to try InTow this time. I like the idea of the customization with her.

I was spotter in the boat when a ~225 lb -28 skier popped the handle and it caught the throttle. Went from 34 mph forward to almost 34 mph in reverse in blink of an eye. Needless to say transmission self grenaded on itself.

• Baller

I know this makes me sound ancient, but back in the day before 80 strand ropes became the standard we broke ropes frequently.

It was in 1991 (I believe) that I saw my first 80 strand at Bennett's. Keith Doucet was a big dude who won Nationals in M1 that year before going open. He broke so many regular ropes that he had a thicker one made out of the heavier (now normal) rope. I remember it looked odd as the entire rope was blue.