Dangers of slalom

vtmecheng

• Baller
The more I talk to other course skiers, the more I hear about all the injuries they have endured skiing. I've heard multiple times how this is a sport that can be done into later years. Then I hear about all the backs, shoulders, ankles, knees, legs, etc that are seriously injured. I'm wondering if the risk is actually higher than we like to talk about. It makes sense, strapping a beam to our feet, holding on to a rope that pulls us fast and with power, and accelerating/decelerating over and over while changing direction. I'm wondering what the reality is. Is the risk of significant injuries actually real high?

• Baller

Sure, or you could trip over the dog on the way to the fridge. Everything has risks, some more than others. I've stopped doing as much damage to myself over the last couple of years by learning when to just drop the rope. I broke ribs 2 years in a row.

By comparison the waterskiing is a lot safer than my snow skiing or motorcycle riding . At 49 I'm not ready to quit doing fun stuff just because eventually you get hurt.

• Baller

I would say the risk increase when you're pushing your limits,going for an extra bouy or trying to run a new loop.

If you ski within your limits and don't mind not progressing much,then it's not that dangerous of a sport.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

@oldjeep sure I could get hurt walking to the kitchen. It's about how high the chance and consequence are. I have a low chance of tripping on my way to the kitchen and if I do I have a low chance of doing serious damage.

I'm not saying I'm not going to ski. It's too damn fun to stop.

• Baller
At 62 still skiing 6-7 days a week this time of year. As said above, being in the house causes more injuries each year. Agree with @Andre - know when not to go for it. At my age if I’m likely to lose it I toss the handle. Goal is always - ski again tomorrow . So blessed to never had any injuries. - but no way going to give this up.

• Baller
To me the benefits trump the dangers. When I look at others my age that aren’t active in some physically demanding sport, many appear to be overweight and heading to an early exit. Some of them half my age. Figure out how to clean up deficiencies and it gets a lot safer.

• Supporting Member

Make a list of highly dynamic sports that have high participation from people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond. It's short. I'm having trouble coming up with another one.

I think this implies that, at least within its category, it is unusually safe.

• Baller

Far better to wear out than to rust out.

Attend a Nationals tournament and look at these guys in their 60s and beyond. 90 plus percent of them are in great physical shape. And, I bet many have had an injury, or 4 or 5.

Like snow skiing, the more you learn to ski with technique, versus power and strength, the lower your risk of injury.

And, always check your equipment. There is a whole other thread on that.

• Baller
I’m an older skier and have had many injuries over the years....most from trying to ski beyond my personal limits. In my day job I’m Safety Director for ESPN which includes the X Games (we’re halfway through X Games Minneapolis now) and I believe that everything we do here has a higher level of risk than slalom skiing. BTW: First ever X Games gold medal was awarded for barefoot jumping!

• Baller

I have participated in many more dangerous activities over the years - rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, white water canoeing & rafting, paragliding, etc. never a single issue, why? Because I know my limits and am careful about when I push it.

Worst injury I ever had across all sports - blown Achilles from running the bases hard playing fast pitch softball - yes, softball. go figure...

• Administrators

Assuming that you do your sport with vigor - water skiing is safer than...

Wakeboarding

Snow skiing

Snow boarding

Anything downhill on snow

Mountain biking

Road biking

BMX

Motorcycle anything

Football

Rugby

The list goes on

• Baller

This is interesting. Do you think there is a greater risk to someone new to the sport? I am guessing so due to poor form and not letting go of the handle.

Not sure I agree that road biking is more dangerous but do agree on the other sports. Road biking is mostly dangerous if you ride on roads that shouldn't be ridden. I know people who have gotten hit but it's uncommon considering the number of people who ride every day. Much like skiing, bike control and maintenance are important too.

• Baller

I think at the intermediate level is the most dangerous point. When your getting faster and faster but don't necessarily have access to the training that will put you on a good and "safe" position on the ski. Also you want so much to progress you probably don't give up on a bouy when you should.

Considering I skied with a 80+ man a year ago (28 mph @ 22 off through the course) I would say that this is a reasonably safe sport that people can continue to participate in for a long time as long as their willing to do what it takes.

I plan on skiing when I'm 80+!

• Baller

Today is my 71st Birthday, and how did I spend it, SKIING !!! Doesn't get any better than that. Have there been injuries, sure. Mostly weird things like hitting a sunken coconut on the Wailua River in Kauai and breaking an ankle. Then there was hitting an alligator at 35 off crossing the wakes at max speed at Okeeheelee years a go. That was good for a year off. Sh*t happens.

But reflecting back, I survived years of skydiving, racing cars, dirt bikes, 25 years of flying Airshows upside down, less than 10 feet off the ground at over 300 mph, and 2 Combat Tours flying fighters.

Since I turned 71 today, I was explaining to my ski partner, not skiing is more dangerous. The health benefits from skiing greatly outweigh the risks. It's the greatest exercise that you don't even notice your doing because adrenaline is flowing. At the gym I am totally aware when lifting weights the whole time it's happening, and it's not fun. When skiing, all the attributes I experienced from road course racing, split second thinking while flying, G Forces etc, and pure excitement are all there. Plus, no matter how good you get, you just shorten that rope, and the challenge never ends. Which makes it more exciting and you can never get bored.

Bottom line, I consider it to be the closest we will ever get to the FOUNTAIN of YOUTH !!!

May we all ski past 100...That should be the goal !!!

• Baller
Fat is way more dangerous . It amazes me how people are afraid of the wrong things like the harmless spider they might see on their way to the fridge (the real killer) The fork and the couch (lounge suite) are a seriously deadlly combination and humans need exercise, fresh air and sun exposure to thrive. Oh yeah, scars give you something to talk about, you can bet a person with scars has been up to some cool shit.

• Baller

@vtmecheng The risk is definitely worth it.

In a world trending more and more towards "virtual risk", driver-less cars, automated, safe everything; water skiing and a few other activities I engage in are slowly vanishing as the current generation feels less and less ambition to venture out and engage in real life.

Gone is the rope from our lake that we used to swing from as kids. Man, how that tree would bend.

Gone are kids riding around on mini-bikes and go-karts getting chased by the cops.

When they come out with driver-less boats, I'll probably hang it up as the camaraderie of being with your buddies will be taken away too.

What's that saying? "better to hit the grave broken and worn out than in a pristine, unused condition".

I've broken a bunch of bones, playing sports, crashing bikes, and definitely in the course. I hope someday and alien race millions of years from now can look back on my generation, after finding my bones and being able to determine, "man, these humans kicked ass!"

All I can say is at what sport if you take it to your best can't you get hurt at? At 68 I have done so much and yet not many things I would not do today. I don't look at what can happen just don't be completely stupid without practice. Still enjoy my skiing but may well be slowing down this year. More just old body heaving issues not related to sports. And yes for skiers and boat water lovers the sun we worship can be our worst enemy.

I am the youngest one in my ski group at 51 the oldest is 72 and still going strong. And although i get my pains i do agree that knowing when to throw the rope or not trying to grab that one more ball when you know your way late is key to not getting injured. But i will take a fall on my ski any day compared to a fall on my mountain bike. Damn, I don't ever want to grow up :)