What Are Your Limits ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

With top end skis, around the $2000 mark, what is the limit you are prepared to go to for a new ski, for your level do you need to buy the more expensive ski, do you have to have the latest ski on the market or is it that you just want to be the man or lady on the dock with the latest piece of kit, is it worth while to stay with the ski that has become your best friend and work on technique.

Or though there has been advances in ski build materials etc, the circle continues from narrow to wide, wide to narrow, this bevel and back again, shallow tunnel , deeper tunnel will we see the concave again, who knows.

I am starting to think , it maybe better to stay with a trusted friend, for my level, or try something that is capable of doing more than I can, at half the price, I am not a Pro Skier

What are your thoughts ?

• Baller

Is my wife reading this forum?

I try to buy a new ski every other year. When I do money isn’t a concern yet, I just try them until I find one I do good on. 90% of the time it’s the most expensive top of the line ski out there and I couldn’t be farther from a top of the line skier. But, when something goes wrong, stuck in the rut, injury etc, I always fall back to my 2013? original black and blue Mapple Torque. That’s my trusted old friend and I’m currently back on it.

• Baller
I’m not a pro skier either and am returning to chasing balls after a 30 year absence. I’ve got an old boat old ski rope, handle, vest, etc. etc. For me, new gear is part of the fun and I’m slowly updating my stuff. I choked on the price of top end ski’s until I looked at what I paid for my Jobe Open Class in 1981...adjust for inflation and it’s pretty similar. As I agonized over the idea of buying a new ski and the fact that it probably won’t up my score my son said “...it just might be more fun with a new ski...”. He was right, I demo’d a couple Radars and settled on a senate alloy (ran 22 off for the first time in 30 years on my first set :) )which is working well for me as I chip away at -28. So, my limit this year was 800 bucks as I walked into the shop. I got the ski and bindings for $640 so I got some budget left ;)

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
I am on a ski I bought from SIA after demoing several skies for less than half the price of new In the past I have bought new, with all the slightly used skies for sale it does not make make since to buy new at my level. After 2 years being stuck not improving I started taking lessons and have gone from running my 28 off's 5% of the time if that to 75% and running 3 at 32 off. I would find a ski you feel comfortable on and take some lessons. My first lesson 2 tips had me running my 28's and early and easy 22 offs. So no i will not spend $1500 or more for a ski I am happy with my $600 NRG

• Baller
I recently drove and skiied behind a new Nautique. Despite all the slick electronics, TFT display, ski modes, etc., it didn't ski any different than my older towboat, or better than any of the boats in our club. (Although, the 450 ponies did feel pretty sweet coming out of the hole).

• Baller
I chickened out at $39K for a new, 2009 left over MC prostar promo in 2009. I have dumped $2K on a ski, but usually run 'em a number of years. Spent $17K on my 2000 Nautique in 2010 with 84 hours...still run it today 9 years later it skis great.

• Baller
I'm firmly convinced that money spent on quality coaching is better bang for your buck than the latest greatest ski. This assuming you have a decent ski that suits you to begin with. If it's one or the other I choose quality coaching all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

• Baller
I've historically only purchased new skis when a new model really is a game changer (for me), so I'm not shy about spending what I have to. With that said, I still try to find the best deal I can. I'm still on my '16 Vapor LE that I got from @skidawg when he had a few factory cosmetic blems at substantial discounts (I still can't find the blem in mine btw). I love that ski so much that I'll be on it for the foreseeable future.

• Baller
At almost 63 it's pure fun. I've always purchased older great skis that all still had far more capabilities than I could use. Same as many here. Only just purchased my first ever new ski, and only because of a close family connection with a manufacturer, which was too good of a deal to pass up. I'll ski it now for years. Boats are 80's & 90's vintage and great. So glad I'm not young and ambitious in this sport and pushing for world class performance. WAY too expensive..........

• Baller
@AdamCord, am I correct in assuming that even with the first batch of C75s sold out at $1,995, you guys are nowhere near recouping what you have invested in R&D, materials, tooling, etc.? Not to mention time! With no recreational line of skis, accessories, and water toys to subsidize your venture, will you always end up subsidizing your skiers? Even with all the comments on the cost of the new Goode, is their business model dependent on ski poles, etc. to subsidize the water ski portion of the business? While top of the line skis are all expensive and probably pushing the limits of what skiers will spend, I have a hard time believing any of them have anything but a small profit margin. It's a very small, very competitive, market.

• Baller

@Nando that sums it up pretty well. There's a chance we might be able to get back to even financially this year with how well the c75 has been received, but that still doesn't account for the hours that have been put into this, or the opportunity cost caused by those hours.

Just as a for instance - @adamhcaldwell personally laid up, finished, and skied on more than 50 prototype skis this winter, none of which will ever be sold. That's what it takes to make a ski that pushes the limits of what's possible. But we both love it, and if this were about finances we wouldn't do it.

• Baller

I tried a few since 2012 and ended up finding my "trusted friend" in my 2018 senate lithium. With the profile bindings I'm into it like 1300 or so, but I think I'll stick with it a couple years and that will help amortize the costs for a little while.

I suppose that limit can move based on just how much you love riding on the darn thing right?

• Baller

For me not to buy new sport equipment is the same torture as keping on tough diet. I do think they both are good for me.

Although I feel my that my capacity to be tough is about to get broken ;-)

--

My modest theory about new sport equipment is to be one year behind the news - to give manufacturer a chance to fix all "childhood diseases" and to collect more "indie opinions"

• Baller
Well for me I can not afford new skis... So I work with a certain manufacturer that barters with me for boots. I am currently making 3 boots with my "Hollow Body" plates. Compared to what I get paid for Short Track Speedskating boots that would = over $4000.00 for a new ski~~~! GET SOME~~~!

• Baller
I really like the comments/comparison. $100K for a new boat? Crazy right? Skis $2K, why is the sport slowing down, interest in growing the sport not with these cost. Gas, Insurance, limited ski seasons, etc. SIA helps us all get and sell our used stuff. I got a new ski A3 a few years ago. It was better than I was/am. I took a step backwards with a HO S2 and have enjoyed the easier ski. Next boat probably not unless I win the lottery.

George A. Amonette

78 Water Oak Ln.

Jacksons Gap, Alabama