Dr. John W. Horton 5/6/1930 - 8/21/2019

Horton

• Administrators

The Horton family and the water ski community lost a pioneer, a friend, an amazing father and an incredible grandpa today.

Rest in peace Jack Horton. With love, your family.

Below is a small excerpt on Jack Horton’s influence on our sport, written by his granddaughter.

A desert oasis, built by the brute of bare hands that were often marked by hard-earned callouses, the telltale sign of an athlete…a die-hard, dedicated athlete…a waterskier.

Horton Lakes was built in the 1960’s. From the moment the first pile of Mohave desert sand was shoveled and the banks were leveled smooth, a family history was born. But, it wasn’t until the two islands at either end of the lake were resurrected from the ground that a global legacy caught fire. If you haven’t heard of the Horton name, are you truly a water skier?

Jack’s cutting-edge design, constructed with wind-breaker tree lines and roller diminishing turn islands, is the reason why we can religiously wake up at the crack of noon and still be welcomed by a butter-smooth lake. In fact, this blueprint is one of the many contributions he made over his lifetime to our beloved sport and one of the reasons why he holds a spot in the Water Ski Hall of Fame.

At his little diamond in the desert, Jack opened his doors to anyone who was crazy enough to strap on one of his old pairs of Connelly combo skis (tied together by a faded, frayed rope mind you) and hang on to the paint-chipped white boom as he sat behind the wheel outfitted with an ear-to-ear grin and a straw hat brimming his face.

When Jack wasn’t tirelessly piloting his Ski Nautique, he was sitting in the coach’s seat, his sharp eye watching every buoy turn or edge to the wake, each set never complete without his most famous tip - keep your lead shoulder up!

Horton Lakes served as the catalyst for many skiers’ accomplishments. Whether it was opening his site as a training ground for the Masters or creating unforgettable summers for staff, Jack and his passionate love for life on the water impacted many and left an indelible mark on the sport.

Jack was a legend, a family man, a passionate water skier, and the best grandfather a family could have asked for. He will be dearly missed.

• Baller
I broke my ankle skiing at Great Lakes in 1998. Ended up swimming to the shore right in front of Doc who was in the judges tower and he scrambled down to take a look at it. He got some ice in a matter of minutes and helped carry me to my car for the long ride home to AZ. I’ll never forget how caring he was.

Very sorry for your loss, John. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I have heard a story from a friend who had the privilege of getting to know him which illustrated his kindness and his friendship. His accolades as both a caring physician and a waterski legend were both earned and well deserved.

• Baller

My condolences. I am very sorry for your loss.

One of my dreams, since I read an article on artificial waterski lakes in Waterski magazine many years ago, was to build one. So, although I never met Dr. Horton, he was the inspiration behind one of my dreams, that fortunately materialized.

• Baller
Jack was an incredible man. I found his lake via google in 2008. I was driving past on a visit from Australia. What a character. How welcoming. I drove back from LA for a second visit. All his awesome creations from his two ski lakes to his boat lift and the system that used lake water temperature to cool the house that didn’t keep it quite cool enough for his wife. Sorry for your loss Horton family. He’d be proud of you all continuing the tradition.

• Baller
So many memories with Dr. Jack and so many memories because of him... his influence, ideas and legacy. What an amazing community of friends and family that literally spreads around the world because of him. I'm also very grateful for the friendship of his kids and his grandkids. Sending my love and condolences your way.