How many reflex users bolt the upper cuff?

richfoster

• Baller
I skied all last spring with my supershell cuff bolted and liked it. When I tested my new boot I designed a cuff that would not move backwards from the desired position but could move forward.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I have had the upper cuff bolted on my Supershell for the last 2 years an it produced great results as far as keeping me from rocking back on my ski and allowing me to obtain a more forward stack.

At the beginning of the year I switched to the C75 and also bought the Supershell 5.0. The boot comes with a orange plastic Block that keeps the cuff from going to far back. I still wanted it to be in a more forward position, so I took the orange block and rotated it from it's horizontal position to a vertical position. This has worked extremely well and put the cuff in a more forward position while still giving it the freedom to go even farther forward, while restricting the rear movement. Really the best of both worlds.

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson you have a pic of that? I have a super shell 2.0 with it bolted forward. I experimented with a super shell 4.0 last year and tried it both bolted and stock. Something was just off about that boot for me. Like the slightest movement forward would generate way too much tip pressure. I tossed it In the closet and went back to my 2.0. I didn’t even think of rotating the plastic blocks. Maybe I’ll give it another try once I’m back up to speed this season....or just stay on my 2.0 and sell the 4.0

• Baller

I like to slalom with a flexible cuff. I ground mine down to give more forward capability. I used a fairly soft shell as well. I couldn't get up or run passes on the stiff versions. Trying some Fogmans that had been cut in the forefoot to soften them got me back on track to enjoy slalom hardshells as I loved that feel.

I pinned the cuffs on my trick ski. I still used the softer shell but having it a bit stiffer was helpful.

As my supply of the soft shells dwindled, I tried some stiffer shells. I really didn't like those shells - for either slalom or trick.

I've tried a couple Reflex shells that seemed to have a lot of backward mobility. While I never felt like going out the back, I didn't like the feel overall. I probably would have figured out some filler or block to force some forward lean into the shell. I did try adding a foam filler inside the shell by the cuff to both stiffen and add forward lean - but that's a standard item for all my bindings.

It's a very personal thing to get your binding feel right. Demo or borrow as many bindings as you can. Note that you will likely be on a different ski so separating the feel of the binding from the feel of the ski is a challenge - don't measure by buoy count.

Eric