Ski-it-again trustworthy?

georgert

• Baller
I'm guessing this has been asked before but I can't find a relevant thread. In considering purchasing a big ticket item on the ski-it-again website, any suggestions on making the transaction and feeling safe about it? The FAQ on the website says arrangements are strictly between buyer and seller and to make sure the partner is trustworthy. I suspect sellers are legit, but I'm just asking to see if anyone has experienced getting burned, or at least have recommendations on conducting a good transaction.

• Supporting Member

I have had only the best of luck buying and selling. The fact that someone is selling/buying on the site gives me some comfort. Contact the seller and if they are willing to give you their cell and address and they know skis/bindings etc. then I'd go for it. Clincher being if they are on BOS, I doubt they want to ruin their reputation on a ski sale.

That said, I wouldn't buy a $80K boat without seeing it.

• Baller
i have sold and bought several items on that site. In the end it's not the site but the person you are dealing with. Most skiers/boaters are honest folks. If you are buying a boat I always suggest a lake test and a compression test. Or maybe even pay a mechanic to look at it.

• Baller

I've done a few transactions using ski-it-again and have never been burned. It is largely an obscure and I don't feel a scam-worthy destination.

I have used a few mental precautions. First, does the deal seem to be a good deal but not an exceptionally great deal. Second, when I asked questions including about the seller's background, did the answers seem legit. Including, a little chit-chat about where you ski / they ski, whether they are out, why selling, etc. Ideally looking for some contact information that matched; name, email, location, area code, etc. All probably intuitively obvious. Nothing special.

I've also not bought anything real expensive except where the final transaction was in-person; nothing more than a couple hundred dollars besides what I've done in person. Once bought a ski ramp, but that entailed an in-person meet-up to see the jump, make the payment and hook it up to my '74 Ford F-150. (Ok, made arrangements for transportation.)

Bongo

• Baller
My sense with ski stuff (and motorcycles, snow skis other hobby stuff I’m into) is that it is super-narrow niche market stuff for the most part. I usually know exactly what I’m looking for. A seller with a match is more likely than not a kindred spirit. I’ve had good luck that way on S.I.A.

• Baller
Ski community is pretty small world and I think we all consider each other ski family. Small ticket items I would trust a handshake deal. Boats and big items would definitely take a trip to check it out. I have had great experiences buying on SIA. Again, I consider skiers in general to be top notch crowd and a dying breed.

• Baller

I have had mixed experiences with SIA sellers.

Most stuff is indeed what it’s advertised.

But - What’s “like new” condition to one might be “just ok” for another person.

Also I like to ask the seller a few questions about condition, usage, and reason for selling before I proceed. Even though you are still relying on the honesty of the seller, you might get an idea. And the pictures doesn’t always show the condition very good. Even close up pics can be deceiving.

I most recently bought a used GT-R that was advertised as “brand spanking new with just a couple test rides on it” from a known collegiate skier and it turned out the ski was not only a demo ski (marked with a “D” on the back) but it also had seen quite some usage. The bottom of the ski had more scratches and rub-marks than my one year old d3.

I didn’t want to make a fuzz about it afterwards (she probably needed the money anyway more than I) but was indeed a bit disappointed. Mostly because I felt being lied to in the email communication we had.

The ski skis fine and I love it, but I would have wished it came without all the scratches and signs of pre-usage.

So, just be a little aware and you should be fine.

• Baller

I have had really good dealings with the site. Bought and sold a few skis and gloves.

I even had one guy ship me out a ski before my payment was even through. He is a BOS member but I forgot the name. Spoke on the phone for an hour about skiing.

I check SIA almost daily even though I have no intention on buying anything.

• Baller
Big ticket sounds like a boat ? Pre Covid days weren’t too hard to find a baller in the area to go check it out. May still be able to get someone to help ?? Bought and sold a few boats there. Felt very safe buying sight unseen after several ballers vouched for boat and seller of my last boat purchase. Promo’s are a slam dunk !!

• Baller
SIA overall is very good. Agree with @Horton on paypal use for additional sleep insurance. Bought and sold several skis and bindings without issues. Having said that always do your homework on any purchase by asking as many questions as you want.

• Baller
SIA is a very good sight but when you're dealing with people, things can happen. I'd say 99+% of deals will be good but things can happen. Myself and a friend of mine just had an issue on a 2010 Nautique where the boat checked out during the test drive but when we got home, it wouldn't crank, had hydro-locked with water in the pistons. We bought the boat "as is" but "as is" was a 9 out 10 clean functional boat. I felt the seller should have given us back some money after doing an oil analysis on the engine and proving what went on. At this point, he has denied any money being returned. I'm thinking strongly about putting all the facts on SIA and getting opinions on what others think should be done just in case "I'm wrong."

• Baller_
@georgert - given your post implies big ticket item (boat?) and with the previous post, I suggest at a minimum you do a compression test and probably should add in a leak down test. Those tests should reveal any combustion chamber engine issues. An oil analysis test could also reveal any bearing issues. Good luck and happy shopping. As a reference, SIA would be my first go to when looking for any water ski related goods.

• Baller

Ive bought lots off SIA

My big purchase was a 2011 200 from Angola Indiana I live in BC Canada

Although I was a little nervous sending all that loot via bank transfer for something I only saw pictures of.

But it worked out great and I’d do it again

• Baller
I use SIA quite a bit, with zero issues. I sell all my skis on there, about 30 skis so far. I’ve sold to people outside the US as well. Primarily use PayPal and Venmo. The ski community is small, so you can usually get more info on someone.

• Baller
Live in Toronto, Canada - buy from guys on both sides of the boarder and have never had an issue. bought everything from a neoprene cap to a ski - 15 purchases via SIA not one problem. Great people and most are well ingrained in the water ski community. Larry runs a great site / community place there.