Should I buy a 2015 Prostar?

Mastercrafter

• Baller

Have my eye on a used 2015 with 150 hours. Exceptionally clean boat and I don’t need convinced that it’s a great slalom tug. Also, I don’t need convinced that SN or Bu is a better choice, sometimes ignorance is bliss. What I do need convinced of, though, is that it’s okay to spend $50k on an out-of-warranty boat on which DIY fixes are near impossible. I know some of these are in the 2-3k hour range now so it’s not a question of whether they’ll get there, but, what does it take to get them there? Will I need a $4k screen? Will I need a $2000 dealer service for a sensor that’s gone bad and I can’t find? Will the injectors fail premturely?

Wondering if I may be entering into a world of hurt, or if I’ll likely have a nice, reliable boat for 10-15 years to come? I’m coming from a 1987 on which I can fix anything myself or throw a reman engine in for $2000. I don’t want to need a touch screen in 10 years and have them be obsolete, rendering that boat inoperable. Unfortunately I just can’t afford to keep a boat new enough to stay in warranty.

Thoughts? Please comment with your experiences, hours, issues, or (hopefully) praise of the reliable systems.

• Baller

I purchased one of the other brands you speak of.

The boat came out of Indiana and I brought it into Canada so this automatically voids any warranty.

2011 bought it in 2012 with 300 hrs

I now have 1250 trouble free hrs on it.

Keep up on the regular maintenance and I don’t see it being a problem.

• Administrators

First of all, I do not think this is a MasterCraft specific or even a specifically a boat question. No modern boat or car is as easy for a “shade tree mechanic” to work on as the 1980s version.

These boats are built to last just like your Ford, Chevy, or Toyota. Things like touchscreens on ALL big brand modern boats are off the shelf parts just like the car versions and there is a whole industry built around replacement parts for decades to come. If boats were a hot mess after 5 years or 150 hours then the boat brands would be in a LOT of trouble. Imagine if the word got out that the new Ford or Chevy was a total POS the day after the warranty expired.

In other words - if the boat you want has been taken care of - it is a deal for the price and if you want it you should get it.

@Jody_Seal what do you think?

• Baller
@Mastercrafter, the 2021 Prostars just dropped at a significantly reduced MSRP and apparently with a lot of significant improvements. As these new boats hit the lots, depending on actual street pricing, I would expect downward pressure on the resale of the 2014s to 2020s. Be cautious paying top dollar for a used one now.

• Baller

@Horton I appreciate your calming words of wisdom. I am driving an out of warranty 2017 F250 diesel with a $10k fuel system and $10k emission system. By your logic I am just fine, by my logic I should sell it and get a bicycle.

I think I am more comfortable with automotive because there are so many more out there, and I’m sure many more millions of dollars spent on research and development. To boot, boats are in a relatively harsh environment, but so is my truck on our salty winter Michigan roads.

• Baller

Yes buy it. Still a fairy simple machine. Motor is fancy but still and old 5.7 that should go many hours.

150 hours should hopefully mean anything that could have went wrong would have and now your job will be to add gas, change oil on time and ski!

Computer controls stuff but the bilge pump, lights, blower etc are still same-ish as your old boat.

My understanding as stated above is they have a “marine touch screen”, not a “2014-2020 Prostar touch screen”. So that’s good, as it is my biggest concern over the 10-20 year timeframe. With all “modern” boats...

Not sure what all you use the boat for but the 2015 will feel 2x size inside as the 87.

50 may be a bit high. But, if the boat is close-ish and maintained and you like the colors and options it could be worth a few extra bucks. And you would be done.

Or you could spend the next 6 months looking all over the place and talking to people and driving who knows where to go look at boats....

• Administrators
@skimtb Good point about the 5.7. That engine was bulletproof. It was a sad day when all 3 mfrs phased it out ( and or made boats that needed more power).

• Administrators
As for used boat prices.... it is going to be interesting to see what happens. Yes the MSRP on the 2021 is ProStar is great but the market for boats is CRAZY right now. Same with RVs, bicycles and any recreational equipment. Everything is sold out. The boat is question is a 2015 but it has only 150 hours. It should not really cost that much less than the 2020 on my lift also with 150 hours.

• Baller
@horton The market is crazy indeed. I sold eight early generation Prostar’s this spring, that I had bought over winter to clean up. There are no used boats around here, all of the big dealers are sold out of every type of boat. People keep saying it’s a buyers market, but I think it’s really a sellers market right now. This 2015 isn’t the deal of a lifetime but it’s exaxtly what I want, colors and all, and at 50,000 it’s one of the cheaper used Prostar is available right now, except some that have seen salt water, college team use, or have very high hours

• Baller

This middle price/age range where the boat is still really expensive BUT getting on 5+ years of age is an odd proposition.

I think once you get into the 35k+ range it's time to think really hard about what the real world difference is between say 40, 50 or 60K really is in the big picture. You're already doing a totally crazy purchase so you may as well just go full crazy and get exactly what you want that's in as new of shape as possible with as much warranty as possible once you're in that higher price range. In other words let's say for 50 you get a 5-season old boat out of warranty. In 5 years that is going to be a 10 year old boat that you gave 50K for. For 60K let's say you get a 1 season boat with 4 years of warranty left. At the end of the day 10K difference if it's a loan is going to be a minor change in payment for a huge upside in boat age. If you're paying straight cash I feel like that is so much cash to be out that you may as well get something older in the 20-30's w/ZO.

• Baller
Definitely a sellers market on 5-10 year old used boats. I recently sold a Brand X with high hours. It had been listed for over a year with very little interest. Then about a month ago I started getting serious calls from all over the country. Ended up getting my full asking price.

• Baller

Yes, it is a crazy time. Which is another reason to be cautious unless you need to buy right now.

Here is a pic yesterday on the lot of one of the highest volume boat dealers in our region. The boats on the left are waiting for service. There are usually around 150 or so new boats there to sell this time of year packed into all the space in the picture, now there are seven, and its an empty parking lot. It is absolutely a seller's market if you have something to sell.

zbfvpvwi9m5l.jpeg

the

I purchased a PS 2015 in 2015 from a ski school. Boat had over 1,000 hours upon purchase and it was out of warranty, but it has not mattered. I have put about 200 hours on it since I purchased. I have had a few minor issues, but the boat, engine and the electronics are still in great shape. They are great boats. Hard to beat except that the gas gauge is not accurate, but seems to be the case with every boat I have owned.

• Baller

One thing I am seeing more and more of is people comparing the complexity of the new boats to current vehicles. While I agree both are equally complex what gets me is access to parts in information. For a few hundred bucks I can have the entire factory service manual and all the diagnostic and troubleshooting information for my vehicle. I also have a massive dealer network and an a huge aftermarket network for replacement parts.

If a 'fancy dancy' touch screen radio goes out in a new vehicle I can swap in a aftermarket radio. I could buy a part of a dealer shelf and swap it in, I could even get a used part potentially. None of that is possible with a boat. You are locked in to a very proprietary system with next to no aftermarket support for parts or anything.

The amount of money I have saved over the 10 years I have owned by truck by simply spending a few hundred bucks on proper manuals and diagnostic tools is insane. We have DIACOM Marine - which is good, but lacks the factory service manuals to back it up.

• Baller
@BrennanKMN The DIACOM Marine software and cable I purchased came with a PDF manual for various engines to help trouble shoot the engine codes. It's paid for itself already. I do like the analog guages in my older SN 200s. While they don't always work correctly, they don't completely disable the boat when they go out.

• Baller
I agree with @jjackkrash . Unless you're in a rush or a $5-$10k swing either way doesn't way into the decision, take a breath and talk to a promo member and/or dealer. You may be surprised what type of deal you could get on one new or essentially new, and get full warranty. But if you just want to get out on the water in a great boat now, go for it. You won't regret owning a '15. Prostars have the best wake in the biz.

• Baller_
@Mastercrafter - you could hunt down reliability / warranty data to help your decision process. Dealers, supplier or mfg direct contact may be a way to get that information.

• Baller

Towing the new tug home today. I’m really excited about it... obviously.

As luck would have it, half the screen doesn’t respond well to touch. Seller (Nautique Dealer) put in writing that they would cover repairs or replacement if needed, once I get it to Action to diagnose. Other than that small... $4000... issue, I love the boat and it’s exactly what I wanted, weird colors and all.

Now.. if my broken ankle can heal, I’ll be skiing.

o2opo1fe9u8w.jpeg

siy3eo009gor.jpeg