Handle guard saved my life

Deanoski

• Baller_
@vtmecheng, you can still fold the handle at the panels with some zip ties there. It will just rotate on those tie loops. They don't need to be tight, just there to provide a block to prevent a hand-sized item from going through.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@DaveD is right. I use the Ty-Rap zip ties. In addition to being UV resistant with a good tensile strength, they seem to be strong enough to stand up to the razor sharp edge of a Goode ski. I've cut the thinner black ties on deepwater starts.

Search Amazon for "Ty-Rap TY524MX 2-Piece Standard Cable Tie, 5-1/2 in L x 0.14 in W x 0.05 in THK, Nylon"

You should be able to by a pack of 100 for $12.50.

• Baller

Note: Being "black" does not mean a wire tie is UV resistant. Having additional chemicals added to the plastic is what makes them UV resistant, and the packaging will say they are UV resistant. Otherwise, you simply changed colors. They will also cost more. That said, not sure UV resistant is that important if you don't leave your handle lying in the sun for extended periods.

We have found our wire ties used on buoy anchor lines begin to fail after about 5 years of everyday, all year exposure to the sun, filtered a bit by the water.

• Baller_
@Zman, everywhere I have used white zip ties, they have become brittle and have broken very quickly - even under a buoy underwater and out of the light. I haven't had any issue with black zip ties. I must be buying the UV protected versions by coincidence. The difference in longevity between the two is startling - to the point I would never buy a white zip tie for anything.

• Baller

@MISkier Can't argue with results. We use black as well. The cheap ones, not UV rated.

Better life probably has to do with other plastic additives that you cannot add to plastic and still be almost clear plastic.

• Baller
I'll change the ties out at the end of the year when I buy a new handle. The current setup should last through October. I played with how it is tied, trying some different ways to run the zip ties. I like how I currently have it and I did add one between the top and bottom because they are a bit more apart with how I have them set now. Using the cheap ties was good for experimenting.

• Baller

@rockdog I’m thinking the same thing about the spacing... I just used cable ties, but paracord would work also. I have 12”, 13” and v2 guards available, using a stiffer material that will not flex as much as some.

4ya9xy0qn5v8.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I tried duct tape. Maybe it was cheap tape, but that lasted 1/2 of a morning.

Upgraded to gutter guard. That lasted a few outings before starting to rip at the little ends. And adding more zip ties than shown in the pic

Just got the @mmosley899 / MOB guards. Seems perfect. Very rigid and opening is just under 3” which seems right.

Thanks Mike.

Oh, thanks to whoever said to use nail clippers on the zip ties. That plus a little emery cloth sanding is great!

f6hv7rpervyd.jpeg

6048808z2k1o.jpeg

• Baller
@mmosley899 I tried one of your guards yesterday that I got from a friend. Nice product, but I managed to hit it with my knuckles a couple of times and misgrab. Any chance of making one/some less deep? Thanks

• Baller
@kc I have made several different versions and I can help you find one that works. Which one did you try out? Email or message me your details. Anyone else can also let me know if you need something different. I want everyone to be safe!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@Drago correct, I should of had the Din or spring tighter I was on 5 1/2 I also used the old 400 and 404 release the new 850 release was on my ski since april with no issues first prerelease in 14 yrs. the new 850 release lighter then the older heels.

no more mechanical release bindings for me Ho animal or T factor is in my future

• Baller
Handle guards keep your head out of the handle Y, but some have had problems with the chin (alone) getting in between the guard and the bar. Is it true that a stiff, inflexible guard will push the handle out of the way when the chin hits it thereby preventing the chin from getting in (as well as the head)??

• Baller

@dbutcher I believe in you are correct a soft guard can catch your chin , it happen to me 2020 July 18th I from now on will use a hard plastic guard, is the hopes of ever needing it again.

but if needed it will deflect away with a hard plastics material

everyone should use a handle guard IMO,