Is slalom ski tuning a thing of the past ?

swbca

• Baller_

@swbca mitotoya is the gold standard caliper but overkill for ski adjustments. iGaging has one almost as good at half the price

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00K3PZVKG/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=8”+Digital+Calipers&qid=1610382592&sr=8-9

However I since you’ve been off the water for so long, i recommend you set the ski to “stock” and don’t change anything for the first season.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Supporting Member

Huge fan of the D3 T factor here.

Noticeably different from an older softer boot, and took me a few weeks to really embrace.

But I love it

After decades away, I think you'd simply adapt to it while remembering WTF is up with skiing.

• Baller_

Is it relatively safe to use the Radar Carbitex without a release from the ski ? When I was an active competitor, I didn't lose my ski in a fall more than once per year. But when it has to happen, will the Carbitex let you out ?

At 30 mph what could possibly happen that you would want to be separated from your ski ? :)

• Administrators
@swbca I used digital for years. when I finally switched back to analog I realized how much better it is. The digital ones are undependable especially if there's any moisture around.

• Baller
@swbca Dial Calipers. I have a 8" one for fin length and fin depth and a smaller 4" one slotted for fin to tail dimension. Still going after 21 years. As for boots, D-3 Leverage front boot and rear toe plate. Eight years ago I tried a D-3 T-factor front boot for a couple of days and found it wasn't my cup of tea. It felt like it had to much of forward lean/cant to it. To each there own.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller_
@VONMAN does the D-3 Leverage perform any differently than the older "wiley" style bindings? I can see the D-3 comes up higher but is the height so compliant that its only function is for ease of putting on the ski ?

• Administrators
@swbca the D3 leverage is an excellent binding and is quite comfortable. I still recommend that you look long and hard at the Wiley because it is going to be much more similar to what you skied with in the '80s. Because you are no longer a spring chicken I would also recommend that you not use bindings that are super tight.

• Baller

@swbca Horton is right about D-3 Leverage boots trapping your ankle. On the old lace up ones I never cinched them up. I always trim the boot material at the front so I roll out of a forward fall. It also works on the new Black Out version. Great side and rear support but no longer trapping your ankle. Check out...

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/comment/292239

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
@swbca, while Wiley’s bindings are very high quality, and while their customer service is top-notch, the bindings are still basically a 1970s design. Most everyone I ski with uses Radar and loves them. I made the switch to Reflex after a long layoff (not totally from skiing, but I had really limited skiing for a few years) and as has been pointed out here, it was a significant change. Because of your knowledge of ski technique and design, you will not have difficulty adapting, so, for what it’s worth, I’d recommend going with a newer design. Just my two cents...