It’s March, get out and ski!

cougfan

• Baller

@ALPJr it was quite the adventure! Saw so many interesting things from the water that you can’t see from the highways and city streets of Seattle and other lakeshore roads.

@Fastguy888 don’t really know how far we went but we covered the whole lake from north to south and back while going on a couple of detours and we even circled Mercer Island! Yes we did stop for gas at a marina on lake Union better safe than sorry ? didn’t want to chance having to paddle all the way back with our skis? Was one of my best days on the water skiing and enjoying 2 of the Wednesday night crew. We just need to get @Rednucleus to join us on our weekly Wednesday outing/adventure. Anyone know of a young veterinarian looking for a job??

• Baller_
I either have to retire or croak to join you guys for an all day Wed adventure. My big question @cougfan is WHAT'S FOR DINNER? For those that have followed the Wed Crew's Bow Lake adventures, the gang's plan this year is to visit a different lake every week. We "lost our lease" at Bow - the lake lots have been sold over the last few years so our Wed paradise there has ended. But big thanks to Mr Spady for his Bow hospitality over the years. Many wonderful memories & new friendships - that's what skiing is all about,right?!
  • Like 1

• Baller

First ski of Mar. 25, 2021 Okanagan BC Canada. Water temperature 2c air 9 c slight rain. First time up on new ski and bindings it was great but cold. Sons Centurion Falcon second run of year had done a lot of work on it and it was running well. Hope to get out again soon.

• Baller
Thanks @Rednucleus! I managed to ski through November with just a wetsuit but had to winterize December through last week. I think all those years growing up skiing in the Columbia in Eastern Oregon numbed me for years to come.

• Baller
I finally got out today for the first run of the year. 41.6 F water and 44.0 F air. All the winter training paid off having a solid run which felt more like a 2 week lay off rather than a 4 month lay off. Training works and a must for 60+ aged skiers.
  • Like 1

• Baller_

Ok time to resurrect this thread for 2024.  Had a lovely "snow ski" at Hilltop this morning. Water down to 45, air 35 and big snow flakes doing LASIK on my corneas.  Sometimes I question the wisdom of my winter ski friends - but as my wise old ski pal Bruce says, "WE SKIED AND SOMEBODY ELSE DIDN'T!"

• Like 4

• Baller
2 hours ago, Horton said:

Rounded 72 balls today. Trying to work my way out to a 100 buoy day before I can shorten the rope.

Well, long line does have its challenges…..

• Like 1

• Baller_

I have been free skiing during the last week (3 times).  Water is probably low 40s and the air has been low 50s to low 60s.  We have a couple low 60 degree days this coming week as well.

My very first cut this year (on 3/2) set a really bad tone, though.  I went OTF and smashed my face on the ski.  Substantial nosebleed and swelling, along with some scrapes down the side of my face.  I don’t think I broke it and it just finished healing.  I’ve done better since, thankfully.

image000000.jpeg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MIskier, I have done that on the first cut, first ride on a new ski when I mismeasured the binding setup.  I ended up eating the the tip, damaging the ski with my teeth, and needing dental work.  So I feel your pain.  

Two conditioning free-ski rides Yesterday, air 50ish, water 42.  Looking forward to next weekend; after 5 straight days of rain and wind we are supposed to get a big warm up and very little wind.  

• Thanks 1

• Baller

Free skied last Sunday with air temps at 69 and water temps at 53. It was definitely a wetsuit Wooooooo after that water came trickling down your back. Couple of hard cuts and I was like yep, just like riding a bike. Shoulda eased up a bit and knocked off a bit more rust as I too went out the front. Nothing hurt but pride. 

Did officially convert a Wake Surfer this week to a Slalom Skier. He has been running the course with us neighbors in 2023 and caught the bug. His Moomba Surf Machine is on the market and he is the proud owner of a 2010 SN 200. Time change is now in effect and Moomba is almost done so here’s to Ski Season 2024!!!

IMG_6643.jpeg

• Like 3

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

@jjackkrash,

Side note:  On that infamous day, I was one month post-surgery for a gum tissue graft over an existing dental implant (unrelated to skiing).  As I took inventory of the various impact points on my face, I wondered if I had undone any of that work or created new, expensive issues.  Furthermore, the cost of this sport is occasionally discussed at home and any additional skiing-related monetary outflow might have been frowned upon.   All was well, except for my swollen nose and a few abrasions.  I called my wife on the way home just to prepare her for my new just-been-in-a-bar-fight appearance and assured her everything was minor and that I did not think I had a concussion.

When I got home, she perused my face with an eye-rolling look of exasperation, shook her head slowly, and with disdain simply said, "Dumbass".  We both laughed quite hard.  

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Got my first set of the year in yesterday, my first set as a member at NoName lake. Pretty shaky skiing but felt really good to get out there. On our public water course we can’t get started until May so it’s a real treat to get started in March on a beautiful spring day, air 69, water 59.  Getting out there again today to get some driving and more buoys in. 

• Like 2

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Administrators

@Mateo_Vargas

when I skied with "Kevin the Person" the other day I told him what a rat bastard you were for shortening to 35 and just smoking it back to back while I'm still obsessing about 32 off perfection.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

We are a couple of good rains

away from enough water at Cedar Ridge to start skiing after draining the lakes and a complete makeover!

Luckily we have Quick Set and 

Joey Hayes lake.

Planning on visiting @MS, and 

@Jayski in the next few weeks

• Like 3

• Baller

Put in a lazy ski for 2-3 miles down the lake today while basking in warm sunshine (50F air, 42F water). I just love that first ski of the year feeling. Now I have to wait an entire year for it again.

• Like 2

• Baller

There may have been a bit of ice still floating around but stoke was HIGH!!!! March 17th Free Ski - Mara Lake, B.C. - Water temp was 42F - air about 63F ( Not a dry suit to be seen 🤠)

IMG_0171 (1).JPG

IMG_0170 (1).JPG

IMG_0161 (1).JPG

• Like 2

• Baller_

We had the earliest "ICE_OUT" in 70 years.    So we put in our dock with plans to ski April 1.

This was this morning and 6 more inches of snow are expected today.  Steve Nelson, our local M9 current world trick champion has been skiing for 2 weeks.  He had to buy a new Nautique to practice for the last world tournament.   I have his old Master Craft still safe in a heated garage.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• Baller

First sets of the season at SkiFluid.  Had an awesome time - even with the wind, the lake skied well.  Got some really good tips from Kyle Eade as well.  Most importantly the kids want to go back.  I’m definitely up for that. IMG_1845.jpegIMG_1839.jpeg

• Like 1