Handle guards

tjm

• Baller
Last fall I bought 6 MOB handle guards. One for me and five to pass out to fellow ski club members. Interesting that only one person saw the benefit, much less the free nature of the offer. My only motivation was to promote safety. Oh well. If anyone wants one pm me, $5 to cover postage and hassle and one of them is yours.

• Baller
Disappointing the others saw no value in your effort. It surprises me how many skiers do not use a handle guard, particularly high level skiers. And all the kids should have them. I knew George, tragic he died in such a gruesome way. 20 bucks would have saved him.

• Baller
A ski buddy of mine got his arm through the handle last weekend. He was very lucky, only out for a month. I had one in 2004 and was out for 4 mo's with forearm surgery. Another guy in our area had much of the flesh taken off his arm about 10 years ago. I personally know 2 others that have had severe trauma by getting tangled in the handle. I'm not sure why people are so reluctant. I never notice my own homemade guard. It's a no trainer in my opinion.

• Baller

This happened 2 years ago when my arm went through the handle in a fall, I felt something pop when the rope tightened and it was sore as hell but I was lucky there wasn't a lot of damaged, I have been using a handle guard ever since.

I have noticed when Freddie Winter falls he holds the handle as long as possible and then throws it.

25qjhygp9wyi.jpg

• Baller

It was never going to happen to me. but it did after 53 yrs of skiing.

now all my friend ski with them

it's like riding a bike or motorcycle with out a helmet. why not use one. no down side

protect your love ones get a guard!

pl1uejufgzcx.jpg

• Baller

@OldboyII - I tend to agree with you there.

Perhaps some folks can comment on their experiences and/or near misses with handle guards and without.

Incidentally, I tried the MOB guard last week. It's very well made, no complaints there. But I repeatedly missed the handle over a 2 set period.

Next I'm going to try trimming it down to allow more space for my paws to reach the handle and not bump the edge of the guard.

• Baller

@Booze some skiers need more finger room than others. 3.5” clearance works for most, but some need more. I have a variety of options in sizes and shapes, I will bring some different versions when I come down to ski.

@OldboyII The gap between the guard and handle is unavoidable, but is likely only a problem if you fall into the handle while continuing to hold the handle. Otherwise it is likely that the guard would deflect re-insertion of your hand. Falling forward into the handle while holding on can result in the same type injury as without a handle guard.

The main goal here is preventing your head from going through the bridle. That pretty much insures death. Each skier can choose what coverage best suits their needs.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@OldboyII my thinking on the handle guard is if a 32 off hacker like myself can put an arm through the handle there is a distinct possibility that my head could go through it and as @mmosley899 states "The main goal here is preventing your head from going through the bridle. That pretty much insures death. Each skier can choose what coverage best suits their needs".

I could probably survive an arm through the handle but not much chance with my head, we are all free to make our own choices and mine is to use a handle guard :)

• Baller

Agree with @ski6jones. No question the guard will prevent your head from getting in. Closing off most of the area will minimize potential for hand/arm getting in, and I don't think will have much if any resistance to the arm coming out if it does get in.

I don't have years of experience skiing before I added a guard a couple years ago, but i the last 3-4 years I've had the guard, I have never touched the guard when grabbing the handle out of a turn.

My dad and I started using one again. I hear from the other guys on the lake “the pros don’t use them!” It’s like it’s not cool if you have one. I hear these horror stories and have taken some good falls over the years. I have never had an issue with the guards getting in my way.

• Baller
I was at Gordon’s in Acapulco in ‘08 right before Brett Yager put his head through. Found out about it and was about to put a handle guard on my handle but just didn’t get to it right away and put my arm through at 35 and dislocated my elbow. Out for the season. Agree w @ski6jones - handle guard is not keeping your arm in there.

• Members

I bought a Masterline handle guard in May and have used it ever since. I had been good about keeping it tight and low towards the V, insuring I had 3+ inches of room between the guard and handle to allow my fingers to grab. I forgot to re-tighten and pull down today, and it slid up a bit and caused me to miss the handle (my palm hit the bar as planned, but fingers couldn’t wrap). I lost handle and fell. No big deal, but I wouldn’t want to do that in a tournament I spent a lot of time and money to attend.

So, I will still use the Masterline handle guard tomorrow, but I will make sure it is tight and low and will put a zip tie on each leg of the rope to keep it from sliding up. My PSA for the day.

• Members

@BS74 I had the honor of skiing with British skier Aiden Willers when I spent some time with Andy Mapple at his lake in Orlando. Aiden is an amazing guy, but he has had to overcome a horrific arm injury from getting caught up in the handle.

I said all that to say this: If you think a dislocated elbow is the worst that can result from an arm getting caught in the handle, you're gravely mistaken. Many injuries are MUCH worse; a merely dislocated elbow would be more like a lucky break (pun intended).

• Baller_

This is why we all need a handle guard. This could have gone much worse. If this video does not start on John Gorski's -35 pass, go to the 1:34:30 mark in the video. @A_B, it does not look like John has a handle guard, so maybe you might want to mention it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm0Aicdzb0o?t=5679

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@BS74, I think he escaped multiple chances for injury. Most of us think the handle will be pulled cleanly away or, at the most, we may fall into it as it is pulled away. John dived over the front of the handle and had it behind him for a bit. Could have gone through, could have had it catch him as it was pulled over him, could have been tangled up as he tumbled with it.

He did seem to have the presence of mind to grab it with his other hand as he crashed. While he didn't totally control what was happening, I think that helped mitigate some possibilities.

He was lucky.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@EFW : this site is not the place for covid discussions, so I'LL just say your remarks calling people Stupid for not getting a shot is more stupid!if you know the long term effects year from now then please share! There's lots of legitimate reasons not to get one. I don't want to get banned on this site so I won't respond anymore

• Baller

“The main goal here is preventing your head from going through the bridle”

18” ski rope and 5 mins . No cost.

Not used behind boat yet but tested the securing knots and rope” bar “ by hanging my winter weight of 200 lbs.5y5grnaqoqes.jpeg

j7bqnt99gsww.jpeg

na7vc4iw0zmw.jpeg

on all parts of bridle. Knots naturally tighten when pull is applied.

• Baller_
@condorpilot That will keep your head out, but if your arm goes in, not only will you badly break your arm, you’ll peel the skin right off to the bone, taking everything in between- muscle, tendons, ligaments, veins and arteries- with it. As @Deanoski correctly points out, a plastic covering over your added rope that spins if needed will at least give you a shot at not peeling off the skin. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the comparable In Tow product is encased in a plastic tube that can spin if needed.

Lpskier

• Baller

Just as is the case with "impact vests" there is a bit of speculation as to the different possibilities in an accident. There really isn't any research or testing regarding vests and whether thicker padding will be better or worse when a fall impacts your ribs. Same goes with handle guards, except to say that if your head gets fully into the triangle in it is almost 100% fatal. So ANYTHING that keeps your head from getting fully into the triangle is better than nothing. We do have one documented situation where there was a handle guard and the handle still caught his chin and caused damage needing a long recovery. This can likely be minimized by a stiffer guard, so if your head hits the harder plastic guard it will minimize the chances of the handle grabbing the chin.

Then there are arguments that if your arm gets in a guard may prevent it from coming out, or that a rubber coating may minimize damage etc, but less space for your hand to get in may prevent the arm from getting in in the 1st place. All of that is pretty much speculation and theory, so for one person to say it is that way has to be taken with a grain of salt..... ANYTHING is better than nothing, again pretty much preventing the head from getting in and almost definite fatal results. I feel less space for an arm to get in the better, and agree that a firmer plastic to minimize the chin getting caught on the bar is better also. But again....all is just theory.

• Baller

@Rednucleus my arm went through the handle 2 years ago, happened really quick in a fall at 1 ball, I felt something pop and although initially it was very painful I was very lucky not to have caused some serious damage, I wasn't using a handle guard but my wife and I haven't skied without one since.

svuvdzto1bev.png

• Members
If I recall correctly, French skier Patrice Martin (who was recently named as one of the candidates for the "World Games Greatest Athlete of All Time") retired after suffering a serious injury as a result of getting an arm through the handle in a fall. This was during a big "all stars" tournament around 2009 or so.