How old are you (poll)?

ski6jones

• Baller_
Tournament skier in the 32 off range at 34 mph. Will also take a shot at 36 mph in a class C. No Nationals. Started tournaments 10 years ago. I'll free ski at the beginning of the season and during my annual summer vacation trip, but mainly prefer to be in the course.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Just started boating and learning to ski about 8 years ago, just before turning 50. Only skiing regularly (more than once a week) for 4 years or so, and almost only course skiing. Started doing tournaments not much after I could just get through the course at 28mph.

• Baller
3 event tournament skier back in the 80’s life got it the way and barely skied for 30 years. Now attacking the course like I’m going to tournaments but probably won’t.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
Each year seems to see a performance slide. I haven't got back in the groove yet this year, but last year I ran 32 off quite a few times with 2-3 at 35 best. Used to ski 4-5 tournaments a year, now I'm down to 1-2. Ski 3-4 times a week. In my peak I ran a tourney best of 1.5 @ 38.

• Baller

65 this year and competing since 2015 and love it and still improving until ......I'll let you know

Hard part is I ski on a open water in Geneva (Swiss) and the water is very cold (45° to 58) and we go to a tournament and the water is 68° to 78° ..... not the same feeling ....

• Baller_
Started tournaments at 14 inspired by a couple of Nationals with Medals skiers on my lake. Al Tollefson and Mary Mcberny. Quit skiing for 30 or so years after the wife got the lake and I got the boat. Restart this year in M9, just old enough to squeak into this group.

• Baller

course ski 1 day (if I'm lucky) and free ski 1-2 days a week.....no tournaments since college

@braindamage even a couple days later your metric isn't to far off. Cost and accessibility are my biggest prohibitors. Those of you M/W4+ with the boats and the sites are the only reason I'm still skiing. Its a large undertaking, both time and money, for a working family with young kids if access isn't in your backyard.

• Baller
free skied since I was 6, this year I am hitting the course every week and entering tournaments at 47. My 11 year old son and 9 year old daughter are hooked on the sport. Wish I had started running the course earlier in life, my son is already crushing me and he's only been in the course for 5 months :'(

• Baller

I'm curious if the numbers are what they are due to the type of website BOS is as well as what is talked about and by whom. By that I'm saying that it's doubtful this site gets much if any viewership from young skiers.

Most certainly it's a dying sport for many reasons, but it might not be as close to death as this poll might make it seem.

It's unfortunate that the haircut of the 80s, the mullet, came back with a vengeance, but skiing didn't come with it.

M/W2 (25-34)

Free skied my whole life. Got serious about 5 years ago. Average once a week. . .sometimes more if everyone in the family plays ball. And yea as others have said, money and time are the limiting factors for someone at my age. Have to leach off the parents for their sweet sweet babysitting. Once the kids are all old enough to stay put in the boat at 34mph my wife won't stress as much when pulling me. . .

• Baller
I ski every day and sometimes 2 times a day.I still barefoot and seem to be having a great yr on the slalom skis.Really enjoying the warm water and summer temps in northern MN or southern Canada.WE are setting record temps.Doing well for pushing 74 yrs of age....Just keep skiing with the joint pain.