Will you sanction a tournament in 2022?

LeonL

• Baller_

From the President Of the Worlds capital waterski State!

> Hello All,

>

> I believe everyone is probably aware of the new requirement for all adult members to have current SafeSport certification. However, I also meant to bring up during the Fed meeting that it has been brought to my attention that USA-WSWS is adding more to do requirements for the LOC’s and Chief Judges. It does not seem these requirements have been widely publicized to the USA-WSWS membership so this is my “personal” take as to the additional steps necessary before submitting your sanction applications:

>

> Prior to sanctioning, LOC’s must submit a completed Sanctioning Event Agreement (and accept responsibility for its accuracy and completeness), submit a completed MAAPP (Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policies) Agreement, pre-authorize Athletes, Volunteer, Media, Vendors, Medical Personnel, Coaches and Reps, Officials, and conduct and complete the Risk Assessment.

>

> Then during the event, the LOC’s and Chief Judge are both responsible for insuring that all MAAPP requirements are explained to everyone that requires knowledge of the documents and confirm that they understand those requirements. The LOC’s and Chief Judge must monitor, enforce, and accept full responsibility of the MAAPP’s. Furthermore, USA-WSWS and/or the USOC may randomly appear and drug test any event. The LOC and Chief Judge must also verify all SafeSport certifications, Background Checks and Motor Vehicle Requirements are valid and have not expired.

>

> At the conclusion of the event, all documents must be kept for 7 years so that USA-WSWS and/or USOC may audit any documents for compliance. Additionally, LOC’s need to know that USA-WSWS insurance will not cover transmittable disease or sexual misconduct and that each LOC must defend and hold harmless USA-WSWS. Upon my review, and my personal opinion, it appears there has been a shift of liability for a USA-WSWS sanctioned event to each respective LOC?

>

> I am not a tournament host, but I am curious to everyone’s thoughts on these new mandates/procedures. The Southern Region Board is meeting January 8, and then AWSA and USA-WSWS are meeting January 29-30. I recommend each LOC does its own independent research on these issues, seeks legal advice, and then provides any comments, if any, to the group so that your comments/concerns may be voiced by your Florida Council at the upcoming meetings.

>

Nevertheless, this is not a legal opinion. I look forward to everyone’s comments and thoughts.

>

>

>

> Thank you,

>

> Kyle Tate, FWSF President: flwaterskifed@gmail.com

>

> Cc: Bob Harris, EVP

>

> CC: Lyman Hardy, AWSA President

Here is where you can voice your concerns about this important Issue.

Time to bypass and go directly to the source:

Cut2Rmp@gmail.com Mr. Bob Archambeu : AWSA Rep to USAWS

Nboudreaux@usawaterski.org Mr. Nate Boudreaux Executive Director USAWS

• Baller

This is a tough one for sure. We held 2 tournaments this last year after not having any at our site for over 10 years. We were excited to have more this coming year but our HOA is gong to have a hard time with taking on this liability. Also, we now would need to purchase additional insurance over the sanctioning fees that we would already be paying? That is BS for sure, maybe the sanction fees need to be reduced then.

• Baller
Normally I host 4 tournaments each year at our lake, in light of the new requirements the HOA BOD has determined that we can not place our owner in this level of liability. Therefore I will not be able to continue sanctioning events. This is a very unfortunate for many skiers that have competed and enjoyed the camaraderie that they have become accustom too. To say the least I am very disillusioned with our Governing body and will continue to promote AWSA withdrawing from USA USOC affiliation. I volunteer to help with this effort.

• Baller
@lpskier That may be possible. However our Lake owner has been sued once for her husband’s fatal aviation crash and another unwarranted ordeal. It is unlikely but possible that this would be entertained. It took considerable convincing two years ago to get permission to continue hold tournaments after the decision was made to cease, primarily due to liability concerns.