Steve Raphael

Horton

• Administrators
I hardly knew Steve. This morning my phone is on fire with news of his passing. I think I only met him once or twice. Everybody who knew him seemed to adore him. Perhaps his close friends will say a few words here.

• Baller
Mongo was one of a kind. Would see him many times a year at local tourneys and regionals and nationals Always a smile and some great stories. He was a legend on a waterski and as said before a 'gentle giant'. I'm not sure how many times he won nationals or broke a national record, but it was a bunch. He will be greatly missed. I feel awful for his friends who skied with him daily and his family. Rest in peace, Mongo

• Baller
Wow. Definitely sad news. Only met Steve a few times. Always very gracious and fun. And, an amazing skier. What he did last year to win Nats in Illinois in high winds and huge chop was incredible. And, I believe it was the 2019 Nats where he tied for first, and after 3 run-offs still didn't break the tie, he and the other skier agreed and convinced the officials to just leave it a tie. Great stuff. RIP Steve. Condolences to his faimily and many friends!

• Administrators

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZSKc2Uu_kM/?utm_medium=copy_link

Reposted from @goodeskis Our hearts are heavy today and will be for some time, Steve was a dear friend and loyal Goode skier for decades. He will be forever missed and never forgotten… how could we forget his fun, uplifting and positive energy. Sending love to his wife Melinda and the entire water ski community who watched Steve set countless records and win countless titles. ?

• Baller_
A few years ago, one of Steve's closest competitors relayed a story about their conversation on the dock for the finals at the Senior Worlds in Chile. Steve said something about the culmination of the competition and the opportunity to compete and rise to the occasion in such a prestigious event was what they had been waiting for their entire skiing careers. It was a conversation about sportsmanship, competition, and appreciation for the moment with genuine respect for his fellow competitor. He was obviously well-liked.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Some things are hard to put into words. It was not long ago I watched my buddy Steve make a 39 at 72 years of age. He and Melinda made an amazing couple. He was the Yang to her Yin.

I remember the first time I met Steve he had been crushed at the US Nationals having taken what he said was last place. He told me he didn’t want to be last anymore and I think he more than surpassed that expectation. Naval Academy Grad, he landed big aircraft on tiny aircraft carriers. National champion so many times we almost quit counting. Multi time senior world champ, Regional, State etc. etc.

One of the best and tough as nails friends a man could have. One of the best students I’ve ever coached. A blend of strength, athletic ability and wicked smarts. In fact one of the smartest guy’s I’ve ever met. Rarely saw him stumped.

Can’t believe that big ox used to be a diving champion. Who would’ve thunk. He was one of those guys that when you really needed him he was there. A die hard patriot he loved this democratic republic that he served. He was a man’s man but tender and caring to those who needed it. As a husband he modeled the blueprint. His son Scott was the apple of his eye. He was so proud of that “still” young man. Scott inherited a ton of his papa’s smarts, in fact, according to Steve he was way beyond his linage. I will so miss him.

I was texting with Krista Llewellyn this morning and I told her Steve has now joined a group of friends and family that are waiting for me to (someday) join them. This brings home the idea that life is short and I can tell you my man Mongo lived this one well. My condolences and love to all of Steve’s friends and family.

You will be missed my friend.

• Baller
Another great member of our water ski family gone too soon. Anytime I boat judged Mongo, I laughed about how long it took for him to appear out of the spray when he got up each pass! He took full advance of his perk as a commercial pilot, and later, retired pilot, to hit record tournaments anywhere and everywhere, throughout the country the entire season in the pursuit of breaking another record. (Usually his own!) He loved skiing. His age division dominance for slalom titles at Nationals, is probably second only to Chuck Forrest, at least for male skiers. Prayers of comfort to Steve’s wife, Melinda, and all who knew him. RIP Mongo! You’ll be greatly missed.

• Baller

I could NOT express in a few words about the man we all knew as MONGO in the waterski world

I met Steve (Mongo) back in 2000 at Chet's place.

Over the years I have watched him ski many times from the boat at Chet's and at Sawmill lake in Indiana when Chet did clinics there.

I loved to watch Steve ski. He was so powerful yet so graceful to watch for a BIG guy.

If Mongo made a turn and got both hands on the handle he was going to the other side.

While watching Steve ski he would at times get in deep at the buoy and I thought the pylon was going to come out of the boat. I would duck down thinking the handle was coming in the boat and then look up to see Steve on the other side turning the next buoy.

When I first met Steve I heard people calling him Steevie Ray.

I asked Steve why they called him Steevie Ray and he said he was not for sure but did not like that nick name. So NOT wanting to address Steve in a way he did not like I said what do you prefer. With a big grin Steve said I love MONGO. So from that time on I addressed him as Steve or MONGO.

Great memories but Tears in my eyes and a heavy heart as I write this.

Steve (Mongo):

I will miss your humor and encouragement you gave me the time's we skied together.

I will miss the lunches and dinners we had together over the years at Chet's place and

Sawmill.

I will miss the stories only a veteran Navy and commercial pilot could tell.

I will miss that big smile you always had even when your sets were not going like you wanted.

MONGO we will miss you.

My prayers go out to Steve's wife Melinda, family and friends.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)

• Members

I had the good fortune of sharing practice sites with Mongo for most of 35 years.

We made many road trips to great tourneys and we always had fun.

He was one of a kind and there will be a big void at the lake without him.

My thoughts and prayers are with Melinda,Scott and Family,and his many friends.

Mongo has found the perfect site.

Boog

• Baller
Well hell. I didn't know him but remember the Mongo knickname, and any big/burly/hard pulling freakshow on the line---I would have loved to have known and surely connected with--great summary above from those who knew him--so cool of you to post memories that matter. Covid sucks.

• Baller
A great man, amazing skier and even a better friend to those of us fortunate enough to ski with him and know him. I ski on the same Goode wide ride he did and we often discussed setup, etc. He never hesitated to give you his full attention to talk skis, planes, or life. I will miss him along with the whole ski community.

• Baller

I met Steve at Chets @Chet when I was beginner, 26mph 15off..Steve was always so encouraging to all levels of skiers, which carried over into his personal life. Steve was truly a genuine soul!!!

It's interesting to me how this sport brings very nice, genuine, passionate people together! If anyone ever wanted to observe proper etiquette towards other humans, Steve would have been my choice of mirror! Just the salt of the earth guy!

I will miss his companionship, insight, desire, drive, friendship, and fuck, just everything about the guy.

He holds a dear place in my heart and many others..I wish Melinda, wife, all the love in the world!!!!!

RIP Steve..a true loss to the planet!!!!!!!

• Baller

I have known Mongo since starting out skiing the North Texas area in the late 1980's. He and the rest of the Dallas crew were some skiers to look up to and characters for sure!

Over the years there have been certain people you see at tournaments and simply look forward to catching up with. I always enjoyed, as I'm sure many of those on BOS did, sitting on a tower with Steve on a beautiful lake somewhere passing the time. Such a great guy and such a loss to those that knew him and the sport. Our family will be praying for Melinda and Scott.

• Baller

Wow unbelievably sad news ?

Mongo was an amazing skier and even a more amazing person. Always had a smile on his face a positive attitude and an entire roll of athletic tape on his hands. I was fortunate enough to get to know Mongo while skiing in Dallas for 10 years and I am heart broken after reading this as I am sure everyone else that ever met him is feeling the same.

@sbink so sorry for everyone at Deans lake especially Terry please give her a big hug from Jess and I.

I had the awesome privilege of skiing with Mongo at Dean's Lake here in Dallas. He was one of a kind! How many people win 10 Nationals?!

My best Mongo story is the time that he was driving the boat for me and a snake tried to get in it. We had dropped at the north end and I saw a snake in the water. I screamed for him to please pull me out as there was a snake and it was coming to the boat. He didn't believe me. While this banter was going on, the snake actually swam up the platform and was on its way up in the boat. I told this to Mongo and he got up out of the driver seat to go inspect. As soon as he got back there and saw it, he jumped back and squealed. In my wildest dreams, I could not imagine a sound like that coming from Mongo. Him and the boat passenger both made such a scene it scared the snake back into the water. I will never forget seeing Mongo jumping around in the boat like that. We both had a good laugh about it after.

There are so many good stories about him that could be told and so many good things that could be said.

Our lake and the Happy Hut will never be the same without him being there.

In case anyone would like to read a post about his career as a pilot it can be found here

As of now no arrangements have been announced. With the weather event happening currently in Dallas, I'm sure the family will be letting us know soon.

Happy Blessed Birthday in Heaven, Mongo! -Deana