2022 Master Craft ProStar 6.0L Enough Power?

CCPD3

• Baller
Is anyone really doing full throttle on a deep water start behind ANY ski boat? If so, I don't know how. I've never had anything close to a full throttle start behind any of the tournament drivers I've skied behind, I like a gentle start and haven't had to specify at any tournament.

• Baller
@Horton Ilmore does have a 5.3 and is shown on their website on a page titled "Mastercraft Inboards." I have no idea what boats they offer that as an option, or how hard it would be to include on a Prostar. I'm sure there is various levels of programming that is specific to the different engine options which they may not have prepaired for the 5.3. So it very well may not be an easy option to add for the prostar.

• Baller

Back to the original question. We have a 2022 PS 6.0L. The set up on the shorter end of our lake in FL is about 420' from drop zone to the 55's straight in. I pulled a 36 mph skier last week. With a pretty gentle pull up I had to give it everything to get ZO to lock in about 50' before the 55's. At 34mph it locks in much quicker with less throttle.

I would definitely not call the boat "sluggish".

• Baller

The ProStar is an excellent ski boat with great performance. I can't speak for MasterCraft but I'm sure they are not putting a 5.3L in a ProStar because it does not meet their standards for the quality pull they want from a ProStar.

The 5.3L GDI engine is available as an option in the NXT and XT lines and has been for some time (since ~ 2016).

• Baller
@Killer @m_pags No doubt short setups, particularly at 36mph, need all the acceleration you can get once the skier is on top of the water. I was speaking more to what it takes to get the skier on top of the water. Some like a full power, but I think thats fairly rare.

• Baller

Just for the fun of it, we did some 0-36 hole shots the other night with my PCM based '02 MB. (5.7L H.O) and it ran pretty consistent 5's to mid 5's.

And that's only 330hp. Even the biggest stud in our club never needs more than about 1/2 throttle.

• Baller

Old boats were shorter, narrower, and lighter. The smaller size equated to less wetted surface area, which means less drag. When given the same amount of power as newer boats they will obviously be much faster.

While these newer boats create great wakes, reverse chines and spray relief pockets do not help with top end speed.

• Baller
@Andre That boat started life as a ski school boat and Bennett's and pulled practice at the 2017 GOODE Nationals which took place at San Marcos River Ranch and had a lot of rudder load at the request of one of our local tournament drivers. Unless the boat has been repowered the owner is incorrect and the boat has a 5.7L Ilmor.

• Baller

@ScottScott I'm 200 pounds, and I've always asked for as much throttle as possible on the getup, and I still haven't found a boat with too much. Some of us like to get up and out of the water really fast. I hate all that dragging nonsense.

On a separate, more exceptional note, at Utah Lake, sometimes we are starting in such shallow water that the ski can't be held where it would normally be held to get up or else the tail is 6-8" deep in mud. In those cases, all the guys have their own way of dealing with it, but my personal way is that I basically start with the ski already in the horizontal position it will be in when its on top of the water. In this case especially, then I REALLY appreciate the boat getting up and out of the hole really quickly.

• Baller
I've pulled one guy who could take pretty much WFO out of the hole with a 6.2L SN, but I hate it every time. He's over 250lbs. and built like a tank but the start is so violent it makes me queasy. I keep expecting to see arms and no torso connected to the rope, but nope, he's still all there.

• Baller

I agree with @escmanaze to a degree. I didn't want any part of WOT hole shot on the Prostar with the 6.2. If barefooting and planning a stepout getting up slalom I wanted no part of my Centurion Falcon Barefoot on a WOT hole shot.

I've been at plenty of tourney's though, where I ski my opener (after telling them I prefer it a little brisk) and on the far end I'm like hey, she got anymore hole shot than that? Sometimes it does, but often they were like that's all of it and I'm like ok I guess that's what I get.

• Baller
@mbabiash To be fair, I have never skied a boat with the 6.2 to have the chance at a WOT holeshot. Maybe that would finally be the moment where I would decide we had gone too far and I want less gas? I guess I need to find somebody that has one so that I can find out. ;)

• Baller_

I regularly drive a pro skier’s 21 MC with a 6.0. On a short (but not too short) set up with the skier in the weeds to start, the ZO tones at 36 mph after the 55’s. I’m a senior driver so I have an at least vague idea of what I’m doing.

@horton The since moved mirror is also facing the wrong direction.

Lpskier

• Members

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! It was a prop issue. Factory stock prop is perfect condition with no damage. Tried same prop but new out of the box and the boat is alive. Very happy 6.0L is feeling nice and strong. Way back with higher horsepower out boards we would run into this every now and then.