How to keep Ski on edge thru the wakes

TomB

• Baller

I used to tournament ski back in the 80-90s, I have been skiing again after many years off.

My ski is on edge from the buoy to the wake. I am standing straight up going over the wakes.

I think I am on edge thru the wakes until I see my self on video.

How can I keep my ski on edge all the way thru both wakes?

Thanks.

• Baller_

Stevie Boy has made the key point. If you're not in a stacked position with your hips ahead of your shoulders and your hands low, you will get tripped up by the wake, especially on your off side. Fear of being tripped up will make you stand up for the wake.

If you were a "good" skier back in the 80-90s you probably had decent stacked position because its was a necessity - even if you learned it on your own. Take a look at this post from a few days ago. Once you get your body position right, you can forget about the wakes except as a reference point for your edge change.

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/27339/how-one-tip-saved-my-back-pain-and-helped-my-position-massively.

• Baller
If you have a solid position before the wakes, then it’s likely all a mental game. It isn’t easy to trick your brain into believing that more edge and speed results in a smoother crossing. Everyone with the problem has to find what mental thought works for them. Not sure “hips up” has worked for anyone ever, sure did nothing for me. Handle down, hips to handle, and stand tall all did nothing too. Corey Vaughn told me once to think about keeping my shoulders back, knowing I would never get them so far back that it was bad. He said to picture water spilling over both shoulders evenly, so I think “spill” when in the pull. That seems to have been my key. Really similar to the “proud chest” idea from Rob Hazelwood. Point is, no one mental key works for everyone, try different keys and find what works for you.

• Baller
When you are at those line lengths and speed that give you that "biggest curb" , be in good position before you get there, and let the ski, and your knees, and ankles come into you a bit while keeping the ski on edge. Try not to be so rigid at that wake that you get "rocked" from the wake. The wakes are just a timing cue for you. Don't think of them as hard or an obstacle. They are just part of the journey...use them.

• Baller

I always add the caveat that I'm not very good.

@vtmecheng I was given the same advise. Shoulders back vs hips up just made so much more sense to me. If you put your shoulders back, you're hips come up. There were some other cues Corey offered that made it less chaotic, but for those that haven't, go pay him a visit!

Another thing that seems to help not concentrate on the wake is simply look at the next buoy at the exit of the turn. Otherwise, I feel like I look at the current buoy, then the wake, then the following buoy. Much smoother with one focus point earlier. I have bad habits from skiing behind big boats as a kid, and this helps.

• Baller_

Dane Mechler , always Standing Tall w/ Proud Chest

Robert Hazelwood recent posted a video using "Proud Chest" as his mental touchstone for actually learning to get into, and stay in a stacked position. Many have commented that "Proud Chest" has been the best phrase to help them get their hips ahead of their shoulders and their hands low. In the last few days remembering "Proud Chest" has helped me and my ski partners . . . for me particular helpful with holding angle through the wake on off-side.

No one stands taller with a prouder chest than Dane Mechler . . currently on the leader board going into day 2 of the 2022 Hilltop Pro / Syndicate event.

nff54yyxhmf5.jpg

• Baller
I get so confused with the standing tall part. I understand what everyone is saying, but I don't see it in practice. Thanks to TWBC, I've been watching a lot of the Hilltop event. I freeze framed a lot of the men and women. The above pictures of Dane are a great example. Everyone looks tall on the pullout, and as they are crossing the first wake. If you look at him (and pretty much everyone else) a split second after being right behind the boat, they look like they are sitting in a chair. They are the furthest thing from straight legs, and standing tall. What am I missing/not understanding?

• Baller

@tjs1295

It’s a misnomer of communication, perception and camera angles issue.

“Stand tall”

Top of gate

Second spray to buoyline.

Spray to spray:

Knees are driving FORWARD towards toes while trying to elongate the body AWAY from the boat. It’s not tall vertical, it’s tall at a45 degree lean off the edge of the ski.

It doesn’t look “tall” as that word is measuring the distance from water vertically. But if you do some Google search of non from the boat pictures , you’ll see what I mean.

Most amateurs, usually 28-35, bend their knees crossing the boat but drive their ass backwards then look squatty and ski in the 80% belle curve, average. Then out to the buoyline, they’re still squatting on the ski. I call them “squat and pull guys”. Nearly every video posted on this site of skiers getting feedback, they are squatting and pulling. Hence why they are stuck. The “bend your knees” coaching has probably hurt more peoples development then helped.

Look at the review pictures from horton in his skis, see how tall he is outbound? That’s ideal.

• Baller

@scoke I’m pretty sure I understand what you’re saying. Definitely understand what you mean about recreational skiers. Also think I get what you’re saying about being tall at a 45 degree angle. These pictures are what confuse me. What is going on in these pictures regarding being tall? Their knees look very bent. zzdbqn7bbe98.png

n5k0ds96h6xl.png

gucrpxtya8kl.png