For the alpine skiers out here…

Skiphreak

• Baller_

First pass at Jack's & he was holding the wheel, get to the end and he says: you must be a snow skier :D

What does help, staying in shape, moving all the body parts and enjoying another sport with long sticks strapped to ones feet.

• Baller

@swc5150 that’s what came to my mind; obviously body position isn’t comparable, and the physical fitness benefits of alpine skiing can only help come spring, but the sensation/timing/rhythm aspects of GS turns compared to being pulled down course - is there something to be learned or taken from that, that is transferable?

As stated in my original post, newer to slalom and have had very limited experience in the course, but hoping that will change next season. What little course experience I do have, my takeaway (not the only one) is that things happen fast. I guess I’m just trying to determine whether there is anything I can take from my alpine skiing abilities, which are surely better than my slalom ones, for benefit. Thanks to everyone, as always, for their feedback.

• Baller

There are some things that are similar, as @MarcusBrown and I discuss often, and will hopefully discuss some more.There's a reason alpine skiers pick up waterskiing fairly quickly, and also reasons they sometimes don't progress as far as they could.

• Baller

@Skiphreak GS racing made slalom course skiing come much more natural to me that I think it otherwise would've. Timing, rhythm, the "C" turn thing all play into it. Patience of gliding into the turn is very similar as well. These days I always make symmetrical GS turns while skiing and envision turning buoys. On the flip side (leverage vs glide), flat ski on snow = fast. Flat ski on water = bad:)

• Baller

@Drago Next time out, I’m chalking up my lack of slalom performance to my alpine prowess ?. Btw, love that video of @MarcusBrown getting pulled by a sled a few years back. Dude makes it all look easy.

@swbca I can’t wait to start picturing little kids as turn balls on the slopes this winter. Jk

• Baller

@Horton - maybe somewhat misguided, but not all. "20 years ago" we were in the throes of "West Coast" slalom and a lot of that was about moving your mass with or ahead of your feet - trying to facilitate efficient acceleration. What are we talking about today, still? That (plus other). Efficient stance, keeping the COM moving, effective acceleration. Alpine skiing, especially slalom and GS, is in large part about moving down the hill effectively. That is where the sports have some similarities and a lot of people tried to make those comparisons. The propelling forces, however, are hugely different for each. One, a boat and the swing it will give you, and the other gravity and the down-the-hill (fall line) speed it will give you. I agree with @drago when he wrote: "There's a reason alpine skiers pick up waterskiing fairly quickly, and also reasons they sometimes don't progress as far as they could." I resemble the second part of that statement. If you do both, you will naturally spend some time (mostly on chairlifts) thinking about the similarities. Can't be helped. If you don't do both, then don't twist your brain trying to apply what you know from one to what you are trying to learn with the other. Get good coaching specific to each.

• Like 1

• Baller

I find tele easier on my knees (less prone to injury than alpine). Burns out the quads faster though. If you really want to go obscure, look up a tele-board - probably draws the most on-snow commonality to slalom skiing, but is generally pretty ridiculous otherwise (which says a lot coming from someone who also telemarks...).