Would you consider buying a 2 year old boat with 1200 hours?

MitchellM

• Baller

I realize this listing is for a boat from a reputable ski school, but would anyone consider buying a 2 year old boat with so 1200 hours?  Sure it's been taken care of, but that's a lot of ski school hours not just on the engine but the rest of the boat.

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=67839

Price seems about $20k too high for me.  

Do these still have a warranty if they have been used commercially in a ski school?

Thoughts?

• Baller

I wouldn't pay that when there are 14 other 2021-23 Prostars on SIA alone you could negotiate on.  I'm sure it's a great boat, but the market is soft and we're heading into fall, so deals will be there for the taking.  

• Like 3

• Baller
Just now, swc5150 said:

I wouldn't pay that when there are 14 other 2021-23 Prostars on SIA alone you could negotiate on.  I'm sure it's a great boat, but the market is soft and we're heading into fall, so deals will be there for the taking.  

I hope you're right.  I'm looking to buy next month.  I hope with summer ending I will be able to find a decent boat at a fair price.  I realize these are "asking" prices, but to ask such a high price on a boat with those hours seems absurd.  It's not about "trust", but the reality that these boats do depreciate by the hour.

Anyone actually know about warranty coverage on a boat that has been used commercially?

• Baller

I agree there are other boats that are probably a better buy with lower hrs.For me living in MN where my season is shorter I will not put on a lot of hrs on a boat even skiing approx 110 times a season plus other persons skiing.I strongly believe these boats if taken care of last many many yrs and hours however people don't like having many hrs on a boat when they are a buyer.I had a 2009 196 that I bought with over 1000 hrs and it was not selling due to the higher hrs however today its here in MN going strong and looks fantastic and is a great boat.That boat with 1200 hrs is overpriced in todays mkt.........

• Like 1

• Baller

I have skied this boat in person many times. I can at least add that the description and care is 100% accurate. I am sometimes the last one to ski and can attest it is wiped down and taken well care of. I believe I have a PB behind it too hah. 

I love the interior color choice. It is worth a look and call. Corey is always very upfront. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Yes, I would buy a high-hour late model boat for the right price with documented maintenance. 

I believe MasterCraft has a different warranty for commercial use vs private use.  

Edited by vtjc

• Baller
2 hours ago, MitchellM said:

Anyone actually know about warranty coverage on a boat that has been used commercially?

Call a dealer or MC to confirm, but about 4 years ago I think the std warranty was 500 hrs and covered a lot of stuff.  The commercial warranty was like 480 and covered less stuff, no vinyl, maybe less gelcoat etc, but power train was still there. 

You are looking well past that for hours… 

keep in mind ski school boats are lots of hours at idle.   End of course, instruction etc. 

• Baller_

@MitchellM - It all depends on what your expectations are.  If you are looking for a ski boat that will not have any problems, this may not be for you and my comment has nothing to do with the current owner or the specific boat.  Stuff just tends to fail / need some TLC as the hours accumulate.  If you are looking for a certain boat (this one) at a good value (however that is determined) it could / would serve you well.  A lot of issues, electrical in particular tend to be somewhat random although more probable as the hours accumulate.  To your question, would I consider it, absolutely if I liked the price, options, colors, etc.  

• Like 2

• Baller

That is a nice boat and has most all the options you want and a tower.  Like others said a lot of idle hrs will be found if you hook it up to a computer.

The other one that @Mastercrafter showcased is a great deal too, even though its over 1000 hrs.   It's our club boat!

Sadly MC does not offer hardly any warranty to clubs or commerical operations.  They cut it down to almost nothing (1 year - 100hrs I think I was quoted) which is a little disappointing but if you have a good dealer they might go to bat for you.

Good luck in your search.

• Baller

Hey Gang,

This is my boat. It’s a good one. I looked around at other boats and prices and tried to land in a fair place. Admittedly, I started with a higher number, because I know I am not going to be able to ask anymore. That said, I am flexible when it comes to making a deal with the right person. Delivery and other factors all come into play, so left myself some wiggle room. 

Regarding warranty, there won’t be any MasterCraft transferable warranty but I think there could still be engine warranty remaining from Illmor. Happy to look into those specifics if it becomes salient. 

My thought is that this boat would be someone’s forever purchase. Everything is in good shape at present and the boat could be re-powered (new engine) around 3,000 hours if the owner wanted to make It a brand new boat, as the hull, vinyl and structure is all in good shape. I understand that you can sell a used 6.0L engine for a decent price and end up with a brand new boat for a reasonable investment. I also see no reason that with proper care, this beast will keep pulling PB’s for thousands of hours. 

It has always been kept in a cradle and stored covered in a barn during the offseason. I believe there is someone out there for whom this boat will be a perfect fit. 

• Like 3

• Baller
2 hours ago, h2oSkiJunkie said:

Hey Gang,

This is my boat. It’s a good one. I looked around at other boats and prices and tried to land in a fair place. Admittedly, I started with a higher number, because I know I am not going to be able to ask anymore. That said, I am flexible when it comes to making a deal with the right person. Delivery and other factors all come into play, so left myself some wiggle room. 

Regarding warranty, there won’t be any MasterCraft transferable warranty but I think there could still be engine warranty remaining from Illmor. Happy to look into those specifics if it becomes salient. 

My thought is that this boat would be someone’s forever purchase. Everything is in good shape at present and the boat could be re-powered (new engine) around 3,000 hours if the owner wanted to make It a brand new boat, as the hull, vinyl and structure is all in good shape. I understand that you can sell a used 6.0L engine for a decent price and end up with a brand new boat for a reasonable investment. I also see no reason that with proper care, this beast will keep pulling PB’s for thousands of hours. 

It has always been kept in a cradle and stored covered in a barn during the offseason. I believe there is someone out there for whom this boat will be a perfect fit. 

Corey, I may be that person.  I'm just trying to wrap my head around the hours.  As a recreational skier who right now can only ski with my family on weekends, I want a reliable boat that's in great shape.  I just sent you a message through SIA.

• Like 1

• Baller

If you put 50 hours a year on it that boat might need a repower in the next 10 years but you may never need a repower in your skiing lifetime.  Again, it comes down to your personal usage.  My ski buddy has a '92 Mastercraft he bought new and skis on every season; it's on its original engine and still running strong.  Also, the 6.0l is the GM HD truck service engine and it's built to last.  One of the PNW jump-school guys told me he does not think those engines really even hit peak HP until after 1500 hours when they start to loosen up (really break in).  I would not personally think about a repower until it needed it or until gas engines start getting scarce.  

• Like 1

• Baller

I always think that "it's not about what you think, it's about what the next buyer thinks". You're going to be the guy selling a 1400hr boat that's now 5 years old in a few years and you're going to have to explain that. If it's a forever boat, that's not a concern of course. Mechanically the hours wouldn't scare me, I'd set aside some funds for a new shaft seal and strut bearings.

• Like 1

• Baller

Think of 1200 hours on a boat as 120,000 miles on a car or truck. Your good for another 1800 hrs or 180,000 miles if you take good care of either. It's obvious the boat has been taken care of very well thus far.  That's the way I think of it. I drive a pretty nice 20 year old Lexus that just turned 340,000 miles.

• Like 1

• Baller

Resale could be an issue.  Back in 2012, I bought a 1000 hour ski school boat.  Over the next 8 years the hours climbed to 1800.  When I started advertising it for sale in 2019, I got very few inquiries until the beginning of summer after covid hit.  Then I received 5 full price offers sight unseen within 2 weeks.  I wouldn't plan on another covid event hitting to help sell the next one.

It was a great boat for me.  Still have 2 very similar boats that are still going strong.

• Like 1