Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Amateur needs suggestions for improvement

kirkbauer

• Baller

I skied in high school and then I did almost zero skiing for about 20-25 years. I'm about up to the end of my first full season back to the sport. I could use some gentle feedback for things I can work on next season. 

What I think I need to do is commit better to the cuts. I think that I am either unable or unwilling to cut aggressively enough and I stop the cuts too early. This creates slack in the rope which obviously is problematic. So, in my mind, if I could cut more aggressively and continue it a bit longer, then I won't generate as much slack, and that means progress.

• Baller

are you skiing 22 off? how fast? I cant imagine thats an ideal rope length for your learning. Nice job anyway! This is the hardest part once you figure out the body position and the pull everything gets easier! meaningful practice and dryland training are your biggest tools for improvement. video helps a ton as well! Logging your progress is a huge tool as well, keep a log and write notes on each set if you are serious about improving.. this is a proven method.

• Baller

I'm doing 32mph and I think I'm about 20 off -- it's a 15-off ski rope at full length, but I go one loop less than that (so I'm not sure if that's 3ft, 5ft, or 6ft less?). I'm used to skiing pretty fast (I reduced my speed last year from 36 down to 32 based on suggestions here) and I chose the rope length to try to make for the softest wake crossings.

• Baller

Slow the boat down some more...try 28...

Faster speeds means EVERYTHING happens faster including crashing. Slower boat speed means you have more time to work on fundamentals and you need to get that right FIRST...you also may be able to catch/correct an issue before you crash. 

X2 for Terry Winters coaching, the on line content is great...

• Baller

This isn't textbook good skiing but here's a pass of mine at -22/34mph from this spring, close to where you're at with speed and length.

Notice how all the work/pull/load basically happens from ball into the wakes, as Terry said. The load on the line lightens as I pass go through the wakes, and by the time I'm through the whitewater on the other side, I'm on my turning edge (preturn). The preturn is what bleeds off speed and keeps the line tighter as you initiate and finish a turn. 

I haven't actually timed this all out, but I think the majority of time skiing is spent in the pre-turn, slowing down and bleeding off speed you generated behind the boat.

Speed through the wakes, on edge and in a good body position, is the hurdle we all have to get over. It's the "scary" thing about skiing, but once you learn to trust what's happening, you'll really never think about wakes again. 

Because you're pulling way outside the whitewater, you're turning with a loose line, and when it comes tight you get stood up and ride a flat ski with no speed through the wakes. Then the vicious cycle starts all over again. 

Good on you for posting video. Love to see it. 

• Like 1

• Baller

that is 22' off, at 32mph your gonna be eating the worst part of the wake, 15 off or 28 would be a better choice but you have to learn how to cut through the wakes anyway so... whatever you feel is best, Personally I would go back to 15 off, there is more time for everything. Practicing your body position on dry land is gonna be a huge help for you in my opinion, if the wakes bother you, go to 28 off.