DryRobe unboxing

Horton

• Baller

@HortonI bought one of these last year, they are amazing!  Here in northern Vermont November and April skiing in 50-degree water and 40 degrees is bone-chilling cold.  We ski in dry suits, but you can still feel the cold coming through.  When I finish a set, I pop this thing on and it is incredible.  I would highly recommend it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Yep, they're everywhere. The kids run around in them all day between sets, I use mine when driving the boat during winter/spring & autumn, plus when it's raining in the summer.

Not sure what the sizing is like as I think they've changed it since I bought some, ours are more like wind-proof changing robes they are so baggy (on purpose)

Since lockdown they've gone from watersports niche to school run clobber (not sure why, probably so you don';t have to get dressed up when working from home)

• Baller
2 hours ago, chrislandy said:

Yep, they're everywhere. The kids run around in them all day between sets, I use mine when driving the boat during winter/spring & autumn, plus when it's raining in the summer.

Not sure what the sizing is like as I think they've changed it since I bought some, ours are more like wind-proof changing robes they are so baggy (on purpose)

Since lockdown they've gone from watersports niche to school run clobber (not sure why, probably so you don';t have to get dressed up when working from home)

Not sure about them as casual wear.  Saw a sign outside a pub in an article about them that said "No Dryrobe w**kers"

• Haha 1

• Baller
18 hours ago, Southside_Mike said:

Not sure about them as casual wear.  Saw a sign outside a pub in an article about them that said "No Dryrobe w**kers"

Yup, check out the primary school run parents.

They are standard parent wear at the side of the rugby pitch too, but at least that's what they are kind of supposed to be used for!

• Baller

They are great to drive the boat when raining or the weather is cold.  I keep it in the boot of my car as well, as I travel a lot and in case I get stranded on the side of the road I got something to keep me warm and dry.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 11/4/2023 at 6:27 AM, Jody_Seal said:

Meh! I'll stick to the tried and tru oversize Beach towel. far more uses besides covering up to change my shorts..save my money for real ski gear..

I bet you said the same thing about Perfect Pass and ZO. Probably don't like power windows in cars either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Baller_
1 hour ago, skinut said:

I bet you said the same thing about Perfect Pass and ZO. Probably don't like power windows in cars either. 

Actually i was part of the in house development team at Correct craft that brought perfect pass to the oem. we did first.

And yes i drive a car with no power windows, was an option on a 71 GTO.....

• Like 2

• Baller
31 minutes ago, Jody_Seal said:

Actually i was part of the in house development team at Correct craft that brought perfect pass to the oem. we did first.

And yes i drive a car with no power windows, was an option on a 71 GTO.....

Touché-- Changing towels are nice though. You should try one👍

• Baller

Most people at the lakes I visit use Dry Robe over here in the UK. It falls in to the category of hard to justify but once you get one you wonder why you never got one years ago.

The copies are OK but the genuine Dry Robes wick the water away better and then self dry in my experience, no idea how but the competition seem to all be cold and wet the next day. So most people in the know pay the little bit extra for the dry robe.

I totally abuse mine chuck it in the back of the truck, the dog uses it as a bed, I stand on it in mud or when on sharp stones, still looks like new when washed after 4 years. Really tough.

MY STORY: I usually ski to exhaustion. The first time I ran the course was in awful winter conditions, the club boat was shutting down for the year and on it's last day of running I skied and skied and skied until  I eventually ran the course and skied into dock in a bit of a mess. On the dock in my crappy toweling robe I was shaking so bad most people thought I was having a fit. A girl came up clearly concerned and enquired as to my wellbeing because of my shaking. My mate responded "yeah he does that" the girls response "why don't you get a Dry robe if you ski so much and shake so badly" her look of complete pity or perhaps "you fool" stuck with me and I forked out the dollar for a dry robe. Never looked back, should have bought one years ago. It means I get an extra 2 or 3 sets in just from not loosing energy getting cold when driving my boat and taking turns with my crew early and late season. I see it as an essential part of my kit now.

• Like 1

• Baller

@HortonLiving the dream...............Jealousy isn't normally in my personality but with my lake shut down for winter, the boat winterised and in the barn and my only ski options very limited and 2 hours away with the prospect of a cold ski followed by an even colder ride home on my motorbike with ski and gear strapped on the back................yeah I am envious, I shouldn't be but I am.

And No the dry robe won't work for that.....

• Baller

So the main benefit of Dry Robe doesn't appear on their website...............you can drive home from the lake naked.

To explain:

The RAiD - The alarm goes at 04:30 hrs My daughter picks me up at 05:00hrs we are lake side at 05:50hrs boat on, two sets each, drive home shower and daughter is in work for normal start time. But the sun starts getting up latter and later a few mins every day............I bought a boat lift, that saved some time and extended the season by a few weeks......rapid cover fittings and other tricks all shaved  minutes to make the dawn ski possible. Finally my daughter now just strips off on the dock wearing only the dry robe jumps in the car and flees for home while I sort the boat out.

Now, I was as a concerned parent anxious about how the local police might view this.......the local police men don't seem to mind at all. obviously opinions vary as do local laws, you might want to check out yours first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Baller

Dang it, now I want one. Had never heard of them until this posting and unboxing, but skiing in the PNW is a battle vs cold weather. The ability to throw one on and stay warm is VERY appealing. I could also see it as a great way to keep the seats in the truck dry.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 11/13/2023 at 4:36 PM, jjducksfan said:

Have had one for over a year....use it frequently here in the PNW...worth every penny...only issue I have is the moving billboard with their name plastered across the back of it....

Thank goodness they don't do that with crash vests, wetsuits and skis

• Like 1

• Baller

Wow, is this thing awesome. I just got it in the mail and wore it around in my house for 2 minutes and started to get too warm. It is ROOMY and very heavy/warm. I can't wait to try it outside tomorrow! I think this is going to be one of those "why didn't I do this years ago?" moments. 

• Like 2

• Baller
24 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

@Hortonwondering if you would be interested in shipping that my way so I could give it a proper PMW review for BOS?  HT has been a challenging ski the past few weeks; ice on the edges last weekend, much more pleasant today 40 degree air, 43 water.

Invite me up to Hilltop and I'll let you try mine out. 🙂 And yeah, it's been a bit cold here this week.

• Like 1

• Baller_

Just ordered one for my in-house driver for Christmas.  A little more comfortable driving on those chilly mornings.  Maybe even willing to stand-by for a 5 minute ski adjustment and another set.

Colors go with the boat

blue.JPG

• Baller

Update - these things are AWESOME for the Pacific NW winters. Wore mine today before and after an open water set. 48 degree air and mid-40's water. It really works well. I was nice and warm. It is heavy, very soft inside and absolutely delightful. I can see using it October - June around here.

I got a size L, I'm 210 lbs and 6'-1" and it is huge. I could easily change in it. It's made big enough to pull your arms in and do so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Melanie models her new DryRobe Santa gave her for Christmas.  Yes, we live in Florida, but there is no shortage of mornings in the 40s when we just can’t psych ourselves up to get wet in spite of great water conditions.  Those days are now gone!

IMG_6667.jpeg

• Like 3

• Baller

Since we bought our lakeside home last May, we’re living the dream, and now winter skiing will never be the same!  We awoke this morning to flawless glassy conditions, but 43° air here in Central Florida.  Never mind we have O’Neal Fluid Neos to stay warm in the water, we formerly would have either froze in the boat, or, far more likely, chickened out altogether and waited until later in the day when the air warmed but the conditions deteriorated. However, Santa gave us both DryRobes for Xmas (thoughtfully matching our Prostar) and now we can put on our drysuits in the protection and comfort of our house, bundle up in our DryRobes, make the short walk to the dock, then ski in complete and joyous warmth, toasty and cozy in our DryRobes between runs and to and from the dock.  When we’re done, we walk back to the house, take everything off once inside raising nary a goosebump in the process. Thanks BOS for the DryRobe referral!  What a great way to end 2023. 😁

IMG_6722.jpegIMG_6741.jpeg

• Like 1

• Baller
12 hours ago, Ajskier said:

I just got one for my birthday, but haven't tried it out yet since it is a balmy 5 degrees here in Ohio.  

You can come to Colorado if you want to test it out

81CA8C0E-A5E9-498F-8AD5-AFB773AB1BDB.jpeg

• Haha 2