Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

you know you are a water skier when....

Horton

• Baller

When you take a picture of your garage for the storage ideas thread and realize that you have quite a collection. 
81 skis including a special skis collection, a wooden reflex and some broken ski to be used in Adirondack chair project.

• Like 1

• Baller
2 hours ago, The_MS said:

You stop to look at every small lake and wonder if a slalom course will fit

I used to do a lot of work in Nebraska and would fly into Omaha or Lincoln and drive west. Every exit on the interstate where they dug for dirt is a long pond. I figured 75 mph= 110 ft per second. Anything over 15 seconds needs buoys.

• Like 3

• Baller_

You can barely walk due to a lifetime of accumulated injuries, but you can still count on your -35. Or in the case of my friend LH, Boy Scouts help you cross the street but you’re still good for age group national records and gold medals at Senior Worlds. 

And the most important option in your car is the seat heater, even if you live in Florida. 

Edited by lpskier
  • Like 2

Lpskier

• Baller

You carry slalom rope sections with you daily...

I've carried a -38 section on my backpack that has been with me basically daily for the last 15 years. It is always fun explaining the what/why to everyone. 

• Like 2

• Baller_

When you have been the only skier using your course on your lake for 20 years and the neighbor ladies ask "what rope length was that?"  when you pull up to their dock to say "hi" after a set.

Edited by swbca
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Baller_
6 hours ago, Cooper_Trelawney said:

@swbca here is a picture of my mom with my grandparents on the beach in Acapulco at the old Club de Esquis in Acapulco Bay.  People have been taking their skis to the bay for a long, long time.  My family still has that ski!

That's a memorable photo!  Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by swbca

• Baller
1 hour ago, 2Valve said:

you're having a conversation with a stranger and you mention skiing. And they say, "oh, I love downhill skiing". And you reply, "did they just invent that?"

Ha, while waiting to pick up a waterski at oversize baggage claim at home in Detroit last week, the guy asked what I was looking for. No lie, this is about how it went:

"a waterski in a case"

"is that different than a snow ski?"

"well.. yes.. one is used in a lake and one is used on a hill"

"is the lake frozen?"

"no, it's liquid. You do it behind a boat"

After this I walked away and let a friend finish the conversation because I wasn't feeling especially people-y. Made for a good laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Baller
15 hours ago, Mastercrafter said:

Ha, while waiting to pick up a waterski at oversize baggage claim at home in Detroit last week, the guy asked what I was looking for. No lie, this is about how it went:

"a waterski in a case"

"is that different than a snow ski?"

"well.. yes.. one is used in a lake and one is used on a hill"

"is the lake frozen?"

"no, it's liquid. You do it behind a boat"

After this I walked away and let a friend finish the conversation because I wasn't feeling especially people-y. Made for a good laugh. 

Love it.
Similar to my conversations when I'm on my BMW motorcycle and someone in a BMW says, "I didn't know they made bikes". And I'll reply, "I didn't know they made cars".

• Like 3

• Baller
21 minutes ago, DW said:

Your snow skis have an HO sticker on them.

I just added a Performance Ski and Surf sticker to my Dynastars. Did that after I discover that Performance tunes snow skis. They’ve got my business in both seasons. 

• Like 2

• Baller_

@RAWSki I can only think of the following that made both snow and tournament water skis. Are there others?

1. Northland (Warren Witherall autograph) 

2. Hexcel (KLP)

3. Goode

4. Hart (bought EP)

5. K2 (just got my ankle replaced from a crash on one of those babies in 1973). 

Lpskier

• Baller
57 minutes ago, lpskier said:

@RAWSki I can only think of the following that made both snow and tournament water skis. Are there others?

2. Hexcel (KLP)

3. Goode

4. Hart (bought EP)

5. K2 (just got my ankle replaced from a crash on one of those babies in 1973). 

Fischer…

• Like 1

• Baller

Jobe made snow skis as well as waterskis back in like 1985. At least they had the Jobe name on them, no idea if they were made in the same place as the waterskis. 

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

Good list @lpskier   Jobe was the only one missing from your list I could think of and @503Kento got that one.  I am sure there are few very obscure others.  I remember "honeycomb" cores had its moment on both the water and the slopes.... (Hexcel, SkiMaster, etc).  I am sure @DWhad a pair of Hexcel 'split tails' at one time too!?

• Like 3

• Baller_

7 hours ago, lpskier said:

You know you're a very old water skier when you owned Northland snow skis and Northland slalom ski at the same time.

and Warren Witherall cuts 2" of the back of your Northland ski a week before you head off to the 1964 Nationals in Massachusetts. (and uses the same saw to move the fin slot forwards)

Edited by swbca
  • Like 3

• Baller_

@RAWSki - started on leather lace ups and cable bindings 🤣    Had a pair of Head 360's way back when and now have a pair of Head Kore's and they look the same, kind of an ugly flat black.  Kind of like so many of my Goode's.  Better not add up the $ spent over the years, if it's an expensive sport (and mechanical) for some reason I'm drawn to it.

Back to the original topic - when the guest bedroom closet(s) is / are jammed full of waterski gear.

Edited by DW
  • Haha 1

• Baller
On 1/15/2024 at 7:39 AM, thager said:

It's -9 F and you walk down to the storage shed  to talk to your Nautique and make sure everything's OK.

@thager I do that all the time!!  I also keep the road to the barn fully plowed knowing full well there is no need as we are months away....but you never know....

• Like 2