• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

@Horton, has anyone previously received a panda (or triple panda) for their first post?  There must be some sort of special designation for that - like a "Panda Prime" recipient.

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
12 hours ago, mikerev800 said:

Horton, you and your pandas.... You're such a tool!
Ski boat manufacturers screwed the pooch by making more and more expensive ski boats. Many other factors are killing the sport too! Today's kids are too scared to waterski, wake surfing has RUINIED recreational sports on smaller public lakes. On a 400 acre lake, it only takes about two surf boats to ruin the water for EVERYONE! Glad to hear that some states are cracking down WAKE boats! Anyone who wake surfs or owns a wake surf boat and thinks they are cool, are clueless!  It's a lame sport!

I looked at buying a RV just last year and prices were whack and dealers weren't budging! But yes, I look at prices now and better now.

There is NO reason ski boat manufacturers can't make affordable ski boats. NONE!

coj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Baller

Give the guy some slack…

do not discourage newcomers, ok this was too much, but still, suggest him to follow the threads, learn the rules of the forum and encourage him to be a part a great community. 

• Like 2
  • Heterodox 1

• Administrators

@skialex

think a guy that calls the admin a tool on his very first post is likely to settle in and become a constructive member of the community? could happen I guess but I'm happy to place bets against it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Was it an insult? I mean a  ‘tool’ is a useful thing right? 🙂  

But I’m pretty sure one of the other definitions was intended so I did the dangerous thing and asked Google. Oh dear, there's few possibilities..............

1. a device or implement, especially one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function.

"gardening tools"

• a thing used to help perform a job.

"computers are an essential tool"

"the beautiful Estella is Miss Havisham's tool"

2. a distinct design in the tooling of a book.

•  a small stamp or roller used to make a tooled design.

3. VULGAR SLANG

"that guy is such a tool"

• Baller

I think the Pandas were for repeating the debunked false hope of some hot-selling cheap ski boat to save the sport made by some fantasy-land manufacturer who builds ski boats for purely altruistic reasons and has shareholders who are pleased when management builds boats in the hopes of selling lots of them for a loss.   Not the tool comment.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Baller_

anal people care about grammer and spelling. I learned the three "R's".

Readdin, rittin and rithimitic!! like Jethro Bodeene,

also dyslexia  is real!

if memory serves me Malibu has been the title sponsor boat for the Aussi nats for many years now.. outside of the Moomba there really is not a big fan or customer base for the CC/MC in the three event world down under. we had a pretty good start in getting Nautiques main stream in the three event but with Malibu being built in Australia as well as Aussies are  notorious for supporting home country built boats it has been a hard sell. not to mention the shipping and duty to get a boat into the country.

There! I used spell check!

• Like 3

• Baller
On 3/27/2024 at 2:21 AM, mikerev800 said:

There is NO reason ski boat manufacturers can't make affordable ski boats. NONE!

There is no reason why someone who wants to ski can't find a perfectly serviceable used ski boat at a price they can afford.  Ski It Again currently has 169 3-event boats listed at all price ranges, and that's just one source, albeit the best perhaps, but there are many others.  The idea that anyone needs a brand new boat in the $100K range before they can ski is preposterous.  Even at that price for a new tug, water skiing is downright cheap compared to many sports that are flourishing.  Close to where I live is the new World Equestrian Center, a $1 billion dollar facility (that's right, billion with a B) that features 2 luxury hotels, numerous restaurants, dozens of shops, an 18 pump on-site gas station for participants and spectators, 5 huge climate controlled indoor arenas, 2500 stalls, a chapel and much more.  Anyone who thinks skiing and ski boats are expensive better not even think about getting involved with horses.  That $100K +  investment in a brand new ski boat is chump change in the equestrian competition world.  Yet no one in equestrian sports is blaming the cost of top level horses -- upwards of $250K or more... much more, where even mid-level horses sell for $50K, not to mention the shocking cost of training, boarding, vets and myriad other expenses associated with competing... for the sport dying.  Because it isn't dying.  It's thriving in spite of the eye-watering costs to own show  horses and to compete.

If skiing is dying, the reasons have nothing to do with the price of new boats.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I don't like to pay my taxes, obey the speed limits, or eating my vegetables. Just like the price of boats, there's no point in fantasizing about an alternate reality.

( it all honesty I don't obey the speed limit or eat my vegetables. but you get my point) 

• Like 1

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
14 minutes ago, Cnewbert said:

There is no reason why someone who wants to ski can't find a perfectly serviceable used ski boat at a price they can afford.  Ski It Again currently has 169 3-event boats listed at all price ranges, and that's just one source, albeit the best perhaps, but there are many others.  The idea that anyone needs a brand new boat in the $100K range before they can ski is preposterous.  Even at that price for a new tug, water skiing is downright cheap compared to many sports that are flourishing.  Close to where I live is the new World Equestrian Center, a $1 billion dollar facility (that's right, billion with a B) that features 2 luxury hotels, numerous restaurants, dozens of shops, an 18 pump on-site gas station for participants and spectators, 5 huge climate controlled indoor arenas, 2500 stalls, a chapel and much more.  Anyone who thinks skiing and ski boats are expensive better not even think about getting involved with horses.  That $100K +  investment in a brand new ski boat is chump change in the equestrian competition world.  Yet no one in equestrian sports is blaming the cost of top level horses -- upwards of $250K or more... much more, where even mid-level horses sell for $50K, not to mention the shocking cost of training, boarding, vets and myriad other expenses associated with competing... for the sport dying.  Because it isn't dying.  It's thriving in spite of the eye-watering costs to own show  horses and to compete.

I agree that there are many more factors than the price of new boats when it comes to the number of skiers these days. 

That said, comparing it to the equine world is not quite fair.  In the equine world, virtually every expense associated therewith is a business expense.  Even the horses themselves are on a (steep!) depreciation schedule.  The equine world (a significant part thereof) is a tax haven (read: tax avoidance strategy).  

EDIT: and upon quick google search, it appears USEF show participation are down significantly.  Obviously thoroughbred racing is in steep decline too.  

In any event, my personal philosophy is if everyone teaches 2 people to ski a year, everything will be OK.

• Baller

Probably get a Panda for this:
Maybe if someone wants a new ski boat and does not want to spend 100K it's on how the buyer options the boat.
Get the base engine
single axle trailer
no floor coverings
no ski racks
no heater
no heated seats
no tower

Probably take a hit on resale though.

• Heterodox 1

• Baller
10 minutes ago, Dsully said:

Probably get a Panda for this:
Maybe if someone wants a new ski boat and does not want to spend 100K it's on how the buyer options the boat.
Get the base engine
single axle trailer
no floor coverings
no ski racks
no heater
no heated seats
no tower

Probably take a hit on resale though.

Not sure on Malibu but that's still at least a $110K Prostar and I suspect about the same for a 200. 

• Like 1

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

here's another one, an x7 basically the same as a 197. if you know the bottom dollar.  then money talks BS walks and loose change rides the bus. these are all nice boats under $60k. perfectly capable of delivering tournament quality ski rides...aint that what all this whining is about? 

IMG_3546.jpg

Edited by Jody_Seal
forgot photo
  • Like 1

• Baller
6 hours ago, buechsr said:

In the equine world, virtually every expense associated therewith is a business expense.  Even the horses themselves are on a (steep!) depreciation schedule.  The equine world (a significant part thereof) is a tax haven (read: tax avoidance strategy).  

EDIT: and upon quick google search, it appears USEF show participation are down significantly.  Obviously thoroughbred racing is in steep decline too.  

There are a great many equestrians who are not pursuing the sport as a business, they are just pursuing their passion.  I know dozens and dozens of them, especially since I was one. So virtually every expense associated with horses is, in truth, not a business expense for huge numbers of equestrians, and even mid level competitors will spend far more on their non-business sport than water skiers ever will.  It's not just the cost of a horse.  Horse board alone runs $1200 a month, and training is on top of that.  And that's just the beginning.  Really nice horse trailers cost as much as a nice 3-event ski boat that everyone complains about, and then you need a diesel dually to haul it with.  

Also, the USEF does not sanction every horse show.  In fact, the largest horse show venue in the world, the World Equestrian Center to which I previously referred to, hosts no USEF events whatsoever.  The international  Nations Cup Qualifier they just had was so jammed you couldn't find parking or even get tickets if you didn't pre-purchase them.  Since when has a water ski tournament attracted anything resembling a big crowd?  Not the World's last year at Travers.  We were there.  All I'm suggesting is the cost of new 3-event boats is not the problem, if in fact the sport is dying as some insist.

• Baller

@Broussard I could just about get double what I sold my 2014 Prostar for if I sold it today. Crazy world. 

Why are we still on this thread? Malibu is still making TXIs, at least until they wither and die. But, the question that started the whole thread has been answered. We need an Easter pro tournament so we have something better to talk about

• Like 1

• Baller
16 hours ago, Cnewbert said:

There are a great many equestrians who are not pursuing the sport as a business, they are just pursuing their passion.  I know dozens and dozens of them, especially since I was one. So virtually every expense associated with horses is, in truth, not a business expense for huge numbers of equestrians, and even mid level competitors will spend far more on their non-business sport than water skiers ever will.  It's not just the cost of a horse.  Horse board alone runs $1200 a month, and training is on top of that.  And that's just the beginning.  Really nice horse trailers cost as much as a nice 3-event ski boat that everyone complains about, and then you need a diesel dually to haul it with.  

Also, the USEF does not sanction every horse show.  In fact, the largest horse show venue in the world, the World Equestrian Center to which I previously referred to, hosts no USEF events whatsoever.  The international  Nations Cup Qualifier they just had was so jammed you couldn't find parking or even get tickets if you didn't pre-purchase them.  Since when has a water ski tournament attracted anything resembling a big crowd?  Not the World's last year at Travers.  We were there.  All I'm suggesting is the cost of new 3-event boats is not the problem, if in fact the sport is dying as some insist.

@Cnewbert

I didn’t say there’s not passionate equine hobbyists who spend plenty on their horses.  Of course there is.  But hobbyists showing $100,000 horses that are not expensing vet, board, meds, training, grooming, travel, etc. are few.  I said a (significant part) of the equine world is used as a “tax haven”.  I stand by that.  And while eventing/showing/jumping can get pricey, that world doesn’t hold a candle to the thoroughbred industry.  I can’t imagine a racing stable thats’s not expensing and depreciating their assets to serve as a tax mitigation strategy for their owners.   Heck, I know that in Florida there is no sales tax on horses, no sales tax on boarding, “ag” exemptions make significantly-sized farms virtually property tax-free, and there are others before one even gets into accounting tricks.

I agree that there’s a lot more people who spend a lot more money on horses (and related expenses) than the 400 or so annual buyers of $100,000 ski boats, but the comparison has nuance.

I’m very familiar with last week’s Longines event.  A relative jumped in the finals for a European country.  In the good ol’ days of skiing (late 80s-90s), tour events routinely drew as many people as were at WEC last week.  

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

@UWSkier, jumping the shark would actually be more related to water skiing and the original thread.  If only the Happy Days boat had been a Malibu, it would be totally relevant.

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
On 3/28/2024 at 8:34 AM, Cnewbert said:

You’re using the equestrian world to justify that skiing is affordable? Equestrian is more elitist than competitive skiing. Thats like saying “the polo club is doing fine so skiing must not be that expensive”. There aren’t many sports more high brow than competitive skiing but you picked one.

People from modest means (roughy 90% of the US population) are not even considering equestrian, or competitive slalom skiing, because of cost. Athletes from tiers below the upper class have hobbies that are typically low cost like soccer, basketball, running, hiking, etc. 

The problem statement of this thread was never really clarified. Recreational waterskiing is not in decline.  As many have a said, there are great uses boats for reasonable prices. Competitive waterskiing is in decline. Without zero off and a private lake, you won’t get anywhere. In 90% of the country there is no access to a public course or ski club.  Ski boat manufacturers are also in decline. Can’t be any argument about that. 

• DIslike 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

@Andre

The nautique sponsorship of iwwf certainly sells a certain number of boats to people who are primarily concerned about the participation in IWWF  international events. 

I would suggest that the marketing value to the greater market is small. The vast majority of water skiers do not ski at those title events. 

• Like 1

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Not only did Malibu extend the partnership to 2030, they continually aired an advertisement during the Australian Nationals hinting at a redesigned TXi for 2025. At the end of the ad with very dark pics of a direct drive boat touting stronger, smarter, cleaner, better, they said….You spoke. We listened. TXi ‘25. 

• Like 5

• Baller

I spend less on my club membership than I do for a 4 day snow ski trip out west.  I was looking at buying a lot on a lake and a boat when I got the opportunity to join this club.  Comparing the cost of both options, it was a no brainer.  Even considering the hour drive each way to the club.  If you have the right situation, waterskiing is not all that expensive. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I went to the boat show 2 weeks ago and the Malibu rep did not comment on the ski boat but he did say they are seeing a big drop off in Wakeboarding. Surfing is so easy, you're close to the boat and the social media aspect is right on top of you, Grandma can watch the kid on Face Time. Interest is picking up in hydrofoil surfing since you do not need a big wake to propel it, the only problem now is the price of the boards which demand will fix.

• Baller_
22 hours ago, Sethro said:

Not only did Malibu extend the partnership to 2030, they continually aired an advertisement during the Australian Nationals hinting at a redesigned TXi for 2025. At the end of the ad with very dark pics of a direct drive boat touting stronger, smarter, cleaner, better, they said….You spoke. We listened. TXi ‘25. 

Kudos to Malibu (and any mfg.) that puts in the effort & $ to improve a slalom tug, it’s such a small market we should be thankful for this.  

Perhaps down under & Europe there is still a decent ski market particularly with much higher fuel costs, and more interested in the physically demanding challenge of slalom v surf.