Masters Qualifying

• Administrators

The next 2 weekends is Masters Qualifying. You may or may not love the format but  will be drama. ( no webcast)

With some luck we will get live results at  https://www.iwwfed-ea.org/classic/ 

The official qualifying criteria is here https://www.masterswaterski.com/news/2024-masters-water-ski-criteria

A few thoughts on slalom.

For men's slalom Fred and Nate are in and there are 6 spots left. Who is going to get the ticket?

For women's slalom Regina and Jaimeee and there are 6 spots left. Who is going to get the ticket?

I hear there is some jump and tricks too 🙂 

Below is text lifted from the Masters web site. Clear as mud

image.png

MASTERS QUALIFIER #1: The top finishers from multi round Masters Qualifier #1 (number determined by the chart above) with the single highest score in Open Men and Open Women slalom, trick and jump held May 9-11, 2024. The slalom and trick rounds of this event will be held at the Drew Ross Ski Academy in Winter Garden, Florida on May 9-10, 2024. The jump rounds of this event will be held at Jack Travers’ International Tournament Skiing in Groveland, Florida on Saturday, May 11, 2024.

MASTERS QUALIFIER #2: The top finishers from multi round Masters Qualifier #2 (number determined by the chart above) with the single highest score in Open Men and Open Women slalom, trick and jump held May 17-19, 2024 at Jack Travers’ International Tournament Skiing in Groveland, Florida.

**In order to be eligible to compete at a Masters Qualifying Series Event, open skiers must meet the following minimum scores achieved at a Class R or L tournament by December 1, 2023.

• Men’s Slalom: 2.5 @ 10.25 meters
  • Women’s Slalom: 1 @ 10.75 meters
  • Men’s Trick: 9,750 points
  • Women’s Trick: 6,500 points
  • Men’s Jump: 63.30 meters
  • Women’s Jump: 44.0 meters

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

@unksskis don't get me started. If I could find a way to bet on this stuff without worrying about breaking the law I would be all over it.

(I'm way too cute for prison)

• Haha 1

• Baller

Figured the chart out. It spells out how many spots are avaiable in each qualifyer.  Based on the tournament winners listed above this chart on the Masters website.  So either Regina and Jamie won the five events in open womem.  That leaves 6 spots available, 3 in each qualifyer. Patricio ewon all the mens tricks. So 7 spots are avaialble,  3 at Drews and 4 at Jacks.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Caldwell just put up a 4 @ 41.  It's only round one so you never know what's going to happen but I'm trying to imagine a scenario where he doesn't slide into Masters. That's pretty cool shit for the Denali boys.

thinking about this a little bit more. Smith and Winter are not a factor because they are already in. There are certainly a handful of guys that can four or more. If Caldwell gets knocked out, that would mean the standard of skiing is amazing for May. No matter how the chips fall this is fun to watch.

Screenshot_20240509-063651.png

• Like 2

• Administrators

I guess it was naive of me to think that Caldwell had secured a bid to Masters with a four. sometimes I'm a dumbass.

@Taperflex He's a super legit Italian kid. He's crazy to watch ski cuz he turns one side amazing and the other is a hot mess but somehow he runs big scores.

• Like 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, Horton said:

No matter how the chips fall this is fun to watch.

Would be fun to watch, but alas, no webcast. You would think the Masters would have the budget to webcast the LCQs, which would help with the buildup to the main event. 

The tournament info says the top finishers with the single highest score. Does anyone know how they set up tiebreakers for the LCQs if there is a log jam?

• Administrators

@BlueSki what I've heard but I cannot confirm is it backup score breaks ties. there's got to be a rule somewhere. IDK

there is an opinion out there that because this is an amateur tournament, it should not be webcast. in other words, the pro events are sports entertainment and there should be a webcast, but that webcast should not be for amateur events that have professional participants.  it would water down the professional show.

is that clear as mud?

• Heterodox 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

@disland This goes back to the complaints about the whole format. They are forcing pro skiers to compete at an amateur event to qualify for what is supposed to be one of the most prestigious events of the year. 

• Like 4
  • Heterodox 1

• Baller_
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Horton said:

@disland This goes back to the complaints about the whole format. They are forcing pro skiers to compete at an amateur event to qualify for what is supposed to be one of the most prestigious events of the year. 

the qualifying format is wacked. if there is going to be a qualifier /prelim it should be on the water they are going to compete on. By the wed before the show starts at Callaway all the necessary equipment is ready to rock. might as well pull in a few local drivers and judges and hold the prelim/qualifier at that time. jump is already in place now!

Edited by Jody_Seal
  • Like 3

• Elite Skier

@BlueSki @Horton If you are tied for the top score there is a runoff. No backup scores used. Jon, Will, Daniel, Robert P, and myself got in a 5 way tie at 4 the first year they did this. Jon and Will ran 4 again the second round, Daniel and Robert P missed 39, and I ran 2. But we all ran off for the 2 spots or whatever it was.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Baller
Just now, BlueSki said:

So not a single one of the guys that ran 4@41 yesterday got a more than 2.5@39 in round two, all going down early. This is how conspiracy theories begin.

I was about to comment on this. It makes me wonder, since they were the last four to ski today, if conditions suddenly deteriorated, or perhaps there was some opt ups going on?

• Baller

Had a brief exchange with one of the guys up there who said wind is a factor.  Tailwind 39 off the dock in the runoff.  That’s why so many started at 12m second round.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Sat on the bank now, wind is crazy, I got kinda lucky but after me it got crazy. Pretty much unskiable when it blows up. Calmed down slightly for Joel 39 tail but still tricky, will just had pretty much whitecaps… it’s sketchy right now for the last two

Dane just blew out at 3 ball in a mad tailwind… conditions are pretty sketch 😳

• Like 2

• Baller

What about the ladies? Whitney had 1@41, Allie Nicholson 4 1/2@39, but there was a tie between Neilly, and Allie Garcia, with 2@39, for third best score. 

• Baller
1 hour ago, SHungerford said:

Does anyone know if Charlie's run tie him for the CND open record as well? I think I heard Tony say during SwissPro that Jason currently holds the CND record at 5@41'

IMG_0943.png

• Like 3