Horton's Strada Review

Horton

• Administrators

• Administrators

Yea I would have to put that score down when it counts .....   for it to really count.... you know what I mean. Practice scores are not the same.... hmmmm sounds like "Why Ski Tounements"

Deano - I will have to get out my book... will post #s later

• Administrators

I have been on a Strada for over a month now and have been avoiding writing a review.  In the past I have felt confident that I can describe skis as well or better than most skiers. Since the SkiTests and the launch of BallOfSpray, I have ridden at least a dozen skis up to my average score.  Last weekend I equaled my lifetime best practice score on a Strada.

The bad news is that I am unsure what to say about the Strada. I feel that most skis have an identifiable personality. Some skis are forgiving on one side but maybe not the other. Some skis are noticeably fast or slow. Some skis require extra handle control or front foot pressure. Some skis make radical turns and some will carve a school bus turn.

The Strada is not “the most radical” anything. In comparison to other high end skis, the Strada does not require the skier to do a little extra something or little less of something else.  The Strada’s personality in one word is “Balance”. Turns on both sides are not the sharpest but are plenty sharp. Speed and carryout are not extreme but are at the top of the range for current high end skis. Weight distribution, required handle control, path …. and all the other attributes used when describing a ski, none are the most radical or aggressive. They are in balance. 

Maybe the Strada is the "most Balanced".  

If this does not read like a glowing review, that is only because I cannot find the right words. The Strada is in my opinion the best Radar yet and one of the best skis on the market.

This review is a work in progress – subject to updates.

• Administrators

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_4-6ay9R-bLE/TIqw-l2phsI/AAAAAAAADx4/wJNBvu6B8aA/s800/images-1.jpeg I do not know how I would discribe this and ... well you know what I mean

• Administrators

The Strada to me is a lot like Marisa. There is no one thing that by itself  is the super better then another hot chick... but all the parts fit together very very well. http://cm1.dotspotter.com/media/0/79/70/38320_Marisa_Miller_Maxim_July_2008_122_965lo.0.0.0x0.432x629.jpeg

• Baller

I came of the Prophecy. I ski about the same on both when I'm skiing well which is about 30% of the time(32 off @ 34). The remaining 70% when I'm more out of position the Strada lets me get away with it. I probably learn more on the Prophecy, but hey I would rather consistently run more balls on the Strada. It's be a fun summer on it. Felt like I can go for it a little more and really have'nt been punished.

Thanks Radar

• Administrators

jipster,

I generally do not question MB. I mean if he says so… it is so. In this case I wonder if you missunderstood. I guess the bottoms sort of look similar but they do not ski alike. To me the A1 is quite distinctive and not very much like the Strada at all.

There is not a lot of difference in ski shape.  If you compared all of the skis on the market I would guess that they differ by a very small percentage from each other in terms of shape.  Sure, there are differences in details, but the basic shape has been the same since the 80's.  Now, those minor differences have a profound effect on the way it skis.  If only I could get my technique straight.....

• Baller

I rode a 2011 68" Strada the last two days. It is a difficult ski to describe. I immediatley felt comfortable on it and went right down the rope without having to back up any passes or get used to it. I liked the ski with Rini's numbers better than Rossi's numbers. Both were good but Rini's felt better. The front binding was just under 30 inches. I did not get a chance to move the bindings at all or try Horton's numbers. I figured Horton's numbers were for 38 or 40 mph anyway. You have all seen what it does to his hair.

I want to try this ski again when I get more time and a pair of bright red shorts.

• Baller

I rode the 68" before dsmart and only messed with the bindings.  1st tried the front binding a little past 30" but the ski came alive as it moved back.  Very easy to ride and I liked the consistency.  Can't wait to try it again with some fin adjustments.  I weigh 205, dsmart is a little more.  I'll let him respond with a more exact number in case it's a sensitive subject.

Hello All, I am new to this sight but have found some really helpful information so far. Thanks! I am in the process of picking out a new ski and am really interested in the Strada. I skied on the A1 last weekend and loved it, but haven't found anywhere near where I live that will let me demo a Strada. Could someone who has skied both comment on some of the differences/pros and cons of each. The only complaint I had with the A1 is that occasionally on my off side turn the ski would bite a little. I am sure it had to do with my body position, but it threw me enough to make me late for my next turn. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Baller
Where are you located at? Try contacting Tadd at h2oproshop.com 1.866.213.7993 they have a great demo program! Tell him you heard about H2O on BOS! I can not comment on the Strada or A1 I have not ridden them. I know HO is coming out with the A2 soon, so you might want to hold out for it.Have you looked at the Elite as well?

• Administrators

Since I started reviewing skis 5 years ago I have only been stumped twice. The first time was not so bad but with the Strada I feel really silly. My intent with ski reviews is to describe how a ski feels or what it takes to make a ski work. This would be a lame marketing line for Radar but the Strada is just easy to ski on.  Perhaps it’s lack of radical personality is the result of refinement.

I rode a 68” Strada for about 2 months this fall. After about the third ride I completely stopped thinking about the ski. There was no need. The darn think is just comfortable. 

Some skis feel forgiving, I suppose the Strada is forgiving but more importantly it does not draw as many mistakes.  Some skis feel different on each side of the course, you can tweak the DFT on the Strada to slow the off side and make a radical on side but it is just as easy to make it very symmetrical. With settings close to stock my ski feels very even.  In general I do not find the Strada to be super fin sensitive.  

A lot of skiers are obsessed with speed, all I can tell you is, the Strada gets plenty wide is does not take a lot of physical effort to get there. I no longer believe that the feeling of speed is a good metric.

When I started this thread I wanted to make an automotive analogy. I am going to do it now, please forgive me if I screw up the automotive minutiae.  You can get around a race track in a 400+ hp Turbo 2 wheel drive Porsche and make it look radical or you can get in a Carrera 4 and do the same lap times without smoking the tires.  (yes I know these cars are not really equal – go with me please) I feel that the Strada is the Carrera 4 – gets the job done without smoking the tires.

• Administrators

Was talking to somebody about the "Honeymoon Effect" today.  After 2 months, I can tell you the Strada does not suffer that dreaded plight.