Scoring/Rankings

501Brandon

If a fella goes to a tournament that is outside his home region, will it count toward his rankings/score for eligibility for the regional within his region? I am sure this is in the books somewhere but I didnt see it or I didnt understand it... There are a few events pretty close to yet some are in the Southern region, so if I ski over there how does that effect me in regards to eligibility toward the SC Regional? I want to go to as many events as I can but especially all those within a couple hour drive.

Thanks again, I am still trying to learn the details for AWSA competition (at least for skiing) so I may ask some silly questions from time to time. I have been skiing with the INT side pretty much my entire slalom life so I am a rookie when it comes to AWSA competition.

• Baller
Have to be somewhat careful. The scores will count, but if you only ski events in the south, you would have to ski the south regionals. Whatever regional you ski the majority of your events in, is the region that you ski regionals in. Skiers that train and ski 80% of the time in FL and live in MI can not go and compete in the MW regionals for placement. There are exceptions for out of area skiers to ski in another region, but it is not for placement.

@ntx, thanks as well for that input. I set a couple goals for this year in which may be a little silly to some of you guys but I really want to get my scores up enough to be eligible for the SC Regional (Goal #1). I can ski to the level I need to qualify during practice but I have very little tournament experience here at AWSA level so nerves really had me last year. I have no complaints about my skiing considering where I started out at in the spring of 2011. I have always looked at Regionals and Nationals as a somewhat unattainable goal however I do see it possible this year if I can find enough tournaments between now and the cutoff that dont require a 8-12 hour drive.

• Supporting Member

Fwiw, I don't think *any* of us would regard those goals as silly. I remember very well the day I qualified for my first Regionals in 1995. At that time the system was different and I needed one performance of 36/-15 in a tournament. I had completed that pass one time in my life (under "tournament-like" conditions anyhow).

I was usually starting at 32/-15. I ran solid 32 and 34 and was looking forward to another shot at the Beast that is 36. I ran late much of the way, but I felt really strong with lots of adrenaline, and I somehow got out the gate.

And then I noticed the folks in the boat were celebrating a lot less than I was. Another common problem from that era was ... slow boat time! This was especially common for a skier like me who was doing 32/34/36, because after driving 32 and 34, it's just mentally difficult to give the boat enough gas for 36.

Oh well. Makes sense. Like I said I almost never ran that pass anyhow. Try again!

This second time, I was strangely calm, and I just cranked the whole thing -- ahead at every buoy. At this point I was SURE the time was slow again -- probably even slower than the previous one.

But one look at the boat crew told me otherwise. Ran it for real that time!!

Of course today my tournament set starts at a pass worth more buoys than 36/-15, but accomplishment is always relative. That is probably still my 3rd most psyched tournament moment, coming after 1) running -38 last year and 2) qualifying for Nationals for the first time in 2000.

• Baller
@Klondike I love your goal and I am in the same boat. I have qualified and skied in a regionals but my goal is to qualify for nationals I would love to ski in with my son. I told him if he qualified I would take him this year. It is a longshot for me this year but I am hopeful for next year.

• Baller

@Klondike here's the chapter/verse of the rules for Regionals placement.

1. In any year, a skier shall be qualified to enter only one Regional

Tournament for placement. A skier shall ski for placement in the Region

where he does more than half of his tournament skiing during the ten

weeks prior to the Regional Tournament. A skier has the option to return

to his Region of legal residence to ski for placement.

2. If this rule is clearly inequitable, the Regional Executive Vice Presidents of

the affected Regions may correct the situation at the request of the skier

prior to July 16th immediately preceding Nationals. EVP’s from the Regions

involved must be in agreement.

3. If the skier has not done more than half his skiing in the ten-week period

in any single Region, he shall ski in the Region in which he has skied

most. If a skier is in doubt as to the Region in which he is qualified to ski,

he shall present all the facts to the Regional Executive Vice President in

the Region in which he has legal residence prior to July 16th immediately

preceding Nationals and the Regional Executive Vice President’s decision

shall be final. If there is any question regarding a particular skier’s

Region, the Executive Vice President is required to rule based on the legal

residence of the skier. This may be accomplished with a telephone

directory or telephone call to the town in question. A skier skiing ―out of

Region, based on the ten-week rule, may thereby satisfy the

requirement to compete in a Regional Tournament to qualify for the

National Tournament (Rule 4.02.A), and may ski for ratings only. He may

not ski for Regional placement.

4. All entrants in a Regional Tournament shall be U.S. citizens, unless the

Region determines to allow non-US citizens (or resident aliens) to

participate, but not for placement. However, a competitor who skis in

international competition for another federation shall not be eligible for

placement for two years following the international competition.