best gloves to prevent blisters

WBLskier

• Baller
I currently have the 41 Tails. They have worked well and I think are just worn out at this point. I don't like the strap on the back of the palm as it comes loose a lot, but I like the kevlar palm. does anyone have any other suggestions about something that might be even better? Thanks.

• Baller
It's a bit of a leap but if blisters are concern the Clincher style gloves that have become Masterline Pro-locks and the Radar version of same are great. It's a particular flavor, though, that not everyone likes the strap gloves.

Ive got radar clinchers i went from a large to medium and its good. I also use thin glove liners. I still get blisters like a mofo but gloves cant mask just plain bad grip. When my hands are modestly hardened from skiinf and my grip is consistent blisters arent a problem. With the mediums today i noticed a difference. My hands were the weakest link. I now pull so hard my back needs attention. Free skiing at 28 off today was sick. I dont know if i can attribute it to better fitting gloves or me being awesome

• Baller
Duct tape.......When my hands get rough I wrap them in duct tape before putting on my gloves, works great for me... Also I find rotating two pairs of gloves helps. If you go out with dry gloves they seem to be much easier on the hands. The second set with wet gloves is painful.

I picked up the liners that h20proshop sells but they're just basic kevlar liners I think. The price is within a dollar or so everywhere.

http://www.h2oproshop.com/h2osmosis-sports-glove-liners.html

For a while I was using the masterline & overtons pads. They were better than nothing at all but I'd still end up with a blister or 3 after almost every I skied.

• Baller_
Radar Vice (best built clincher glove..period). Gone seasons without skin tares. It takes some getting used to. One two full sets I think maybe more. . Safety for me is not a factor. I believe it Is because of choosing the correct handle diameter. That does seem to matter as Ive used other guys handles and could feel a big difference with how the glove released.

• Baller_
Handle 1.00" gloves are medium and have no idea the "size" of my hands. But, the mediums are very very tight when new and after use just tight which I like. The bigger the handle the worse the release gets for me. Seems to stick. I have not tried smaller. But I would also think that bigger hands/gloves or smaller like my daughter would also make a difference in the size handle. If you can try different sizes, that could help. I think most miss-grabs occur do to reaching for the handle to soon at the finish of the turn and not skiing to the handle. I have miss-grabbed no more or no less then when I used non clincher type cloves but still took getting used to. When I do miss-grab I can usually track it back to wanting to get back on the handle too soon. I don't know if the general design of the glove makes for more miss-grabs.

• Supporting Member

Although I have no evidence to support my view, I'm a little nervous about clincher type gloves.

I use 41 Tails with kevlar inserts and have no blister issues. But that's at 34 mph and I'm a bit of a light puller (*cough* weakling).

• Baller
My two cents - I have Masterline Curves, which I really like, but have gotten big enough callous's on my hands that they curl up and break open. I recently bought some gloves from 4wake.com Trophy Lakes bought the patent and has contracted Radar to make them. A simple over top velcro, and the back is two straps going through a triangular metal piece to cinch down the palm. (I know, bad description but go to the website and you'll see them) I have used them twice, and like them a lot......

• Baller

I use Bart's Guanlet half finger gloves in warm weather. I have found the key is wait until the last second before getting in the water before putting them on. Take them off immediately after you get back in the boat. Dry your hands as soon as possible. It is rare I get blisters. Keep callouses ground down so they don't rip. If you ski in areas where you may have lime in the water(Florida is an example). I tape the vulnerable areas on my hands with duct tape. I use a 1.0'' diameter handle which spreads the load out over a larger part of your hand. Since I don't have full fingered gloves I am able to grip a thicker handle easier. My brother tapes his hands up with medical tape.

• Baller

I used to use the 41 Tail's but gave them up because I couldn't stand the palm strap. That stupid thing ALWAYS comes undone! Once it comes undone, your palm is completely loose and that alone will cause blisters.

I've tried on the 4wake gloves and thought they were really neat and reasonably priced. I own the Radar Boa's because I liked the cinch style for the palm. The Boa's are always tight on me but I can still get blisters if I use the wrong handle or grip the handle in your palms instead of your fingertips. The only handles I can use with normal gloves are the elliptical handles. I wear medium gloves and use the 0.940 elliptical handle and even that feels too big to me.

IMO you can either help eliminate blisters using a handle and gloves suited for the way you ski or get some of the clincher style gloves. To those nervous about clincher style gloves, a girl I know who uses clincher gloves can still have the rope ripped out of her hands if she gets weak. She says it helps her grip but in no way prevents her from letting go. She was very skeptical at first too.

• Baller
Only issue I have occasionally with clincher style is a temporary hang up when I want to release...I guess I keep the handle long enough at those times! It's really just a fraction of a second, but can make a shortline pass interesting. For one reason or another it is almost always into 5 ball...but thankfully not very frequent. Have never in 20 years been stuck on the handle in dangerous fashion.

• Baller

@6balls: I use to have a problem with the hand that faces up, hanging up occasionally with Clinchers. Removing the Dowel solved that problem. I have used Goode Clinchers for 3 years now, which have a small dowel, and never had a hangup with them.

I noticed the Radars have a really large dowel in them. Wondered if they have any hangup problems.

• Baller
@ed johnson, I am on the Radar's now and it does seem a little more frequent. I am right front and thus left palm up and if it's going to get me it's into 1,3,5. I'm having a little trouble with new gloves thinking about taking out the dowel, but if they didn't hang up would take away my only complaint. Grip is the same? Any disadvantage to no dowel at all? May have to give it a go on one pair.

• Baller

@6balls: I never noticed a performance difference with the dowel out. Just stopped the hangup problem.

Suggest you take a razor blade, cut the stitching on one end, not the whole length. Take a screw driver and push the dowel out from the other end. That way you can always put it back if you want to.

The radar clinchers are the only gloves ive ever consistently used. Without the my knuckles would be an arthritic mess before 30. The evenly distribute the load better so stress and pain arent bottle necked in the hands. Ive never had a problem letting go. Thats just it though. I let go if i fall.

Everyone should go try some clinchers. Practice grabbing the handle and alternating hands on a handle attached to a poll. Alternate hands slow and then quickly to build up muscle memory and feeling. Do it with your eyes closed too. If youre consistent at gripping the handle then youre ready for the water.

Also pull the rope with a fair amount of weight and let go until your hands slip off. There really shouldnt be a problem with not letting go. Stacy told me someone on the tour fell and got dragged and blamed it on the gloves. Id blame it on being competitive.

• Baller
Using 41 tails and kevlar liners, but the gloves are worn out and did have the previously mentioned issue with the palm strap. Thinking about trying a pair of masterline's or radar boas. Several of our neighbors shave their caluses, but we use a dremel tool with a med course sandpaper cylinder to keep the calluses thin. Haven't blistered or torn a callus in years, even with a couple of sets a day with 8-10 passes each in very warm water.

• Baller
I have used a palm pad made out of inner tube rubber, with 4 finger holes vs. the 2 you can buy in neopreme. These are great when skiing a lot. I don't ski so much anymore, so I use kevlar liners, and unless you use them when they start getting hard and rough, they protect the hands pretty good. Can buy them at Graingers, or any industrial supply store by the dozen. Just get the thin ones.

• Baller

no blisters this year for me, and more skiing in warm water, less back to back sets though.

HO 41 Tails & 1.03 standard or radius Masterline custom handles.

went a size smaller than normal, and they're tough to get on even wet. About 40 sets on the current pair, and they just split in the typical seem between the thumb and index finger. My pro sew job and they're back to being in great shape.

like @scotchipman said run them snug so no bunching.

• Baller

All, I have a pair of new, old stock Original Clincher Ultimate ski gloves size large for sale. I don't think they have ever touched water. Click on my User Name and send me a private message if interested. New gloves go for $60. Shipping via USPS flat rate box ~$6. Make me an offer!

0b649664f507d38969ae28ff49e712.jpg

f1d8f60c40498a87bb740e3b215788.jpg

0d3d0f903a7d505059afe5d990547e.jpg

e39387da7e178d4fd5bcfaa26f0ce6.jpg

I'm not a great skier but I like longer sets and in warm water it kills my hands. Over the years I tried many things and here is what works for me:

Pro Gear gloves (most people love them) but with the blue relatively thick liners sold by D3. Pro Gears stretch anyway so a pair of liners fits nicely underneath. I need max two pairs of gloves per season, liners last longer. It's a compromise, but the best one I found so far. Can't go away from a thin handle...but I now rarely have blisters! I find Clinchers a bit too radical, although this works as well.

• Baller
My brother has to tape up his hands with medical tape. He would rip his hands up without blisters. He is thinking of switching to a bigger handle diameter. The other thing do do with your gloves is let them dry in the sun so they shrink back to normal size. I leave mine on the black dashboard in my boat while it is in the sun. I am lucky that there is no lime in the water in PA like you would find in Florida..

• Baller

Love the grip level from the Radar Vice Clinchers...Seems to work best with the US Gear Pro V Radius Handle...No Knob to grab and you don't have to remove the dowels.

However, the first pair I had wore holes in the lower inside palm heel area after only 4 sets. Returned them for a new pair and the same thing happened again...Ended up ironing on a patch in this area and it works fine now.

• Baller
Progear is the best. I thought it would not last because it is made of a thin leather, but it does last as much as any kevlar glove and its grip is just amazing. It is also good for the handles as it does not wear them as the kevlar gloves. I have been using then for the last 2 years, US$40 if you buy directly from Clint's website, www.progear.ch

• Baller
HO makes a pair called the World Cup. They have a double padded Amara palm. I like to use some Kevlar palms gloves - but they are hard on my hands and on my handle. Like @Alberto said about the Progear - I did not think these would last long not being Kevlar - but they do last a long time, stitching last too. And, they are very good at protecting the hands. Only 40 bucks too at Performance Ski

• Baller

@Chuck_dickey - totally agree on fit, however, I have found that the wetness for any period kills my callus and then I get blisters/sores.

So I usually try to keep my gloves as dry as possible, which is a struggle to get in of course. But I avoid soaking the gloves, and when I get in I try to keep my hands high and dry atleast till the pull.

Multiple sets of gloves helps with that too, this next season I am committed to trying a dry water repellent coating on the gloves to see if that improves it as well.