Quotes that work for slalom junkies

SkiJay

• Baller

Lucky: When I get my hips replaced I'm going to win a Big Dawg and then MAYBE they'll put my picture in the magazine.

My Brother: Lucky, would you really go back and compete?

Lucky: If you was John C Holmes and your d!@% was broke, and then you got it fixed, wouldn't you go back to doing what you do?

"We'll, I see some good things." Gordon rathbun about 4 years ago, Acapulco, after seeing 40 years of my bad habits and practically the first time I saw a slalom course.

"Keep your chest up"' and "pull the g.d. Pillion out of the boat". Our friend last may in winterhhaven, where I made my first full pass.

"Well, I've got to go home and sell a goat." Lucky Lowe in an arm cast at the waterski museum after posing for a photo with my wife, and inviting us for a ski lesson the next day at his lake.

"Blank stare". Marcus brown, after autographing my wife's ski at rainier lake after my wife, as a joke said to him that she skis at 15 off, but she was thinking about putting it back on.

"We'll, tell him to go back home and get it". Will Asher at a dealer promotion after my wife told him that she forgot to bring her ski, for an autograph.

• Baller

There is no failure except in not trying. I've never been good friends with anyone who is so afraid of getting hurt or failing, that they refuse to try something new. In fact, it's usually the fastest way to get me to quit talking to you.

• Baller

Heard in certain parts of NW Ohio or S Michigan:

"You want to rub some white stuff on?"

Refers to the perception of the boat crew that the skier is being a wimp, and a tube of vagisil conveniently stored in the glovebox is needed.

• Supporting Member

For me, Mapple's quote applies even more to a tournament. The most dangerous mindframe I can get into is one of "don't miss this pass." That invariable leads to tensing up, doing everything complete wrong, and -- you guess it -- missing the pass.

Instead I just have to focus on technique and aggressiveness. (I could imagine the latter being dangerous for some skiers, but I'm a naturally passive guy, so I have to try to crank it up.)