The Dawg goes down!!

teammalibu

• Baller
@SkiDawg-Man that su**ks!! You and Kim are tough competitors! Hang in there and know that your entire ski family is thinking of you in this terrible time! I always love hangin with you at the lake! My thoughts and prayers are with you buddy!!!

• Baller

Ward, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

An encouraging story, my 80+ neighbor who tore his achilles a couple years ago snow skiing is 100% today. Note, he kicked my ass down Broken Arrow at Squaw in heavy powder so his 100% is impressive!

Eric

• Baller

Update:

Surgery on right ankle to repair ruptured Achilles in the morning.

Left ankle is in a boot for fractured medial malleolus, non weight bearing both legs, wheelchair bound!!!

Anyone have a line on competitive wheelchair races!!!! Gonna need something to do for the next 2-3 months before walking is an option!

• Administrators

Wheelchair?

I will say it again. Everyone pray for Kim McLain.

Joking aside. For the new Ballers, Ward aka SkiDawg is not only one of the very original Ballers and is a BAMF on a slalom ski. USAWS Men 3 rank #1 for 2012.

I have seen some pretty good times over the years at Ward's house. To me those times are what skiing is all about. Guys like Ward are the fabric of this sport.

Maybe the best post I ever made here on BallOfSpray was after a weekend at Ward's house.

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/2249/soul-of-the-sport-maybe-in-a-beer-glass/p1

Ward, Man we all all super bummed for you.

• Baller
Goes to show that we are all just one fall away from losing a ski season! @skidawg -- I hope you can get lifted into a boat and drive. Tore my biceps tendon in April one year and missed the entire season. Thankfully, my wife and son skied, and I could drive. Being in a boat saved my sanity. For now work on that cool wheelchair trick where you balance on the back wheels! Good luck with the recovery --

@skidawg thanks for the info, we are running water filled, maybe should go to power buoys.

I am riding the Quest you had. To send good karma your way I will leave on the Cottonwood Water Ski graphics you put on it until you are back on the water! I know personally what catastrophic injuries are like. All the best for your recovery.

• Baller
Never met you, but have followed your sick skiing thru this site so I know you are an athlete's athlete and will come back strong, I am currently sidelined til September with a strained Achilles, recover well.

• Baller

@skidawg. Wanted to share a couple of thoughts with you. First, as so many have stated, we are all so very sorry that this happened to you. It is unfortunate and it is not a good situation. I also wanted to share with you some perspective--which I am sure you already have--but whenever a person is injured, sometimes your mind gets the better of you as you are going through rehab. The perspective is that it could have been much worse. My brother, who is super active, was doing what he loved and made a misstep and is now a quad. Done for life. And, no matter how bad your injury is, there are many who are much worse off. Like I said, I don't know you personally and I don't know how your pschye is right now, but I do know that in the upcoming weeks and months there will be times when you are down, and thinking about what you have and will have will buoy you up in those dark moments.

You are a true ambassador for this sport and for the rest of us on this site, and I wish you the fastest recovery possible and I will be including you in my prayers--your wife as well.

• Baller
I've talked to Dawg. He's got a good attitude about where he is and the recovery. The doctors are telling him he'll be back on his bike going full tilt in 16 weeks. For those that don't know, he's also a serious mountain biker. And with his world class rider wife kicking his behind into shape when the casts come off, he'll be back before you know it.

• Baller
Dawg I will be thinkin bout ya on my ride today lookin for ya when i round the corner even though the only time i ever see you on the trail is when you are lapping me again! Hope the surgery goes well. I will call you later! I wonder can you get a 29er wheel chair with a lefty?