Hand position

block

• Baller_

I was goofy handed and stuck at 2@38 for 3 years. I switched and started running deeper instantly.

It is very easy to do. Carry around a stick for a day and practice it off the water by just moving it hand to hand with the correct grip and it will happen easy when you take it to the water.

@block, I was goofy handed all my life, without knowing it. Rt ff, held the handle batting right handed. About 5 years ago gordon rathbun suggested that I change to correct handle position in Acapulco. I tried it once or twice, and because I am stubborn, I went back to goofy, thinking that it was impossible to change to correct handle position. Then about 3 years later I decided to to correct again, and it wasn't hard at all. It only took about a week or so, and then it felt like I have been skiing all my life that way. And it improved my skiing. So I think it is important to hold the handle correctly. Christy Overton skis goofy handle though, and she did pretty good.

• Baller

I skied goofy handed for 13-14 years. I'm RFF and I switched at the recommendation of people who knew better than me. Since I sucked at running the course anyway, I was willing to try anything that more experienced skiers suggested. I was barely running 28mph at the time so it's hard to say it helped or didn't but it was an easy change. Felt funny for the first couple weeks when I was just sitting in the water about to get up. Once I entered the course, I forgot all about it and eventually it just became natural.

My only complaint about switching has to do with my resting positions. My two resting positions are both hands on top of the handle and my right arm hooked in the handle if we've got a long way to go. I can't transition between arm hooked in the handle to both hands on top of the handle because I can only grab the handle underhanded. Very nit noid and I probably shouldn't be hooking an arm anyway but that's both sides of my opinion.

• Baller
@waternut, you're right you shouldn't be hooking your arm through the handle. I saw a guy at a tournament miss at 2 ball, keep riding and then hooked his elbow through the handle. Then whatever happened, loss of concentration or what, but he let the wake curl over the ski tip and things went very wrong. Fell, got dragged, handle eventually popped so hard it dinged the transom of the boat, and he went to the hospital with a dislocated elbow. Now anytime I see someone do this at our lake I tell them to never do that.

• Baller
I think if you are a good skier and you are doing the other things correctly you can compensate for any problems that may arise from goofy hands. However I would put money that there is a good reason most pros ski with their hands the right way.

• Baller

I too changed over a winter. Hooked a pulley system up with a handle and some rope attached to some weights and simulated one hand turns to back on the handle with two as part of my weight lifting program.

Came out in Spring and felt second nature.

I stayed with it because it made my offside leaning position more comfortable.

Obviously, it works both ways, and if you don't see an improvement or get comfortable, I wouldn't hesitate to keep doing it wrong. :)

• Baller
I had it explained to me by comparing it to pull ups. It's easier to do pull ups with your palms facing you (equivalent to palm up on handle) than palms away from you. Typically, it's harder to achieve and maintain the stacked/leveraged position on the off-side pull. With hands in the "correct" position on the handle, it supposedly puts your hands in the best position to maintain the leverage against the boat and off set the weaker off side position.

• Baller
Unfortunately, we all spend more time driving than skiing. However, you can use this fact to help with switching hand position. Grip the top-center or the bottom-center of the steering wheel while stuck in traffic or along a long straightaway. Grip it with the desired new hand position with one palm down and the other palm up. Do this as often and as long as safely allowed while behind the wheel. Eventually, it will fee normal and less awkward. Then, when you grip the ski handle this way, it will also feel more normal and less awkward.

• Baller
I switched this year and my skiing improved as well. Mine was easy to switch. I am RFF and I started out with my left hand down and my right hand up, and then stayed that way thru the course. I simply started with both hands down--btw, so much easier to get up that way--and the left my right hand where it was and would switch my left hand before the 55's. So much easier for me, especially on offside.