Best way to remove stickers?

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

I think am legally required to remove the NH registration numbers and registration sticker from my "new" boat, and I also might be interested in removing some decals from the windshield (at low priority).

I haven't personally done it before, but it seems like there must be a zillion people who have.

So I'd appreciate some advice on how to remove either or both. Thanks!

• Baller

@brewski has it right on with low heat gun and WD-40 to remove residue. Another trick is to use the heated sticker after the fact to "blot" over the top of some of the sticky residue, it may help pull some more off before using the WD-40.

@Than_Bogan congrats on the new tractor!

• Baller
I took off about 3 layers of stickers and they are a pita. They are designed to NOT peel up and leave residual so you can't transfer illegally. I hit the residual adhesive with Goo Gone and let it soak for a while and then rubbed off ok. I have used WD 40 as well on other things. I also use mineral spirits and denatured alcohol on gel cost without issue.

• Baller

Lots of votes for heat but I never liked it. You've probably already removed the decals but here is my vote... I prefer the eraser wheels with a cordless drill when you want to save the paint or gelcoat. Corded drills spin too fast. Should be able to pick them up at an auto parts store but they cost a little more. I pulled stickers, registration, and all decals off of a couple jetski's and my entire boat with the same wheel. Super easy, super fast, and no residue to deal with afterwards. I usually just use a razor blade on windows but the eraser wheel works wonders there too.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-7498-STRIPE-WHEEL-W-ARBOR/dp/B00063VT0G

• Baller

Brake fluid is a strong solvent that I have used in the past on fiberglass (polyester based). Dissolved stickers but left behind the graphics and structure on some old factory skis. I bet @Than_Bogan is too conventional to go out of the box like that. He'll spend hours massaging a heat gun and microfiber towels. But his boat might look better than mine...

Eric

• Baller

Every year I have to remove the village inspection sticker for our local lake, the waterway agency stickers for the Fox River, the neighborhood mooring sticker, and every third year the registration. I don't own a hair dryer (single dude with a buzzcut). I just start them with a razor and use WD-40 for the residue.

In Illinois the registration stickers are made so the top layer comes off and a bottom layer remains with print all over it. Those are a real pain because the bottom layer hangs on to the death. I've had to use gas to get those off and then just wash and wax the hell out of the spot right afterward.