Its Almost May So How Are You Skiing?

ozski

• Baller

Early days for you guys in the US, how is everyone tracking?

My own personal wrap up - We are at the end of our season here, its been a blast. This time last year

I had the best part of 10 years away from skiing and doubted I would be able to run a pass ever again, last June I strapped on my old KDCR7 and could not run more than a couple of balls at -22. Fast forward to now I'm getting 4 and 5 @-35 and running the majority of my -32's comfortably. At 49 I feel as fit and strong as I have in a long time. Thanks for the help, advice and inspiration to all of you guys at BOS. The picture below is some open water work at -35, I've posted it because I've been working on my stack and making progress. I would never have made this significant adjustment without this website and the advice from the members, until I started to hit this position regularly I never understood why it is so important to progress into the shorter lengths. Video and lots of open water is one sure way to fast track your progress, its not always as much fan as posting a good score in practice and its brutal on your skiing ego but it will help you improve. I don't plan on slowing down over winter, just got my new Camero...

@ozski obviously but unfortunately its dropping into winter for us nzers also. Rugby season is well under way for me (I'm last year at school) so not much time in the weekends for skiing from here on in. I'm actually on a preseason rugby tour in Australia and we are in Caloundra for the next couple of days. That's not far from you is it?

• Supporting Member

Yep. Nothin' here either. I missed the two half-decent weather days while in Japan (where the weather was gorgeous just to taunt me).

But you guys have reminded me that I really need to make it to New Zealand some day. That place seems so cool. Not loving the 18.5 hour plane ride, though. Makes Boston-Tokyo seem like a puddle jump. I think I need to wait until I'm insanely rich (any day now...) and fly first class.

• Supporting Member

Thread-jack alert!

@ozski, That is a really fascinating quote in your signature. A little searching has found it attributed to Samuel Beckett in Worstward Ho. (Who knew he wrote things other than En Attendant Godot? :) ). Can you say more about the context and meaning? It sounds like he was directly talking about slalom skiing, but that "can't" be the case!?

• Baller

@Than_Bogan Its not often words grab me like that particular extract did, I've taught my 4 year old son to recite it as well. When translated in Australian it means "don't be piss weak" which is not quite as elegant. I think it relates very well to our sport and life in general. Only wish I could claim to have written it myself, I stole it from this guys arm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislas_Wawrinka who beat Raffa in the Australian open this year. I did exactly what you did and researched its point of origin.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_beckett.html Check out some of the quotes.

• Baller

Ran my second ever 38 tonight in practice. 46 degree water! 85 degree air. Ended with 1 @ 39.5

Currently 100% success rate on 38 OFF during the 2014 Season! I celebrated by mowing the lawn...........

I'll try to ruin that average on Saturday.........

• Baller
Today 47 degree air 52 degree water. My third time out, but first with calm water. 3 1/2@28off. I normally don't shorten the rope this early. I just keep running 15 off passes for conditioning, and mix it up with free skiing at 36 MPH. I hope to be back to form by Memorial Day.

• Baller
I'm only 4 sets into the season. Typically, I'll start by spending a few weeks at one length longer than my usual opener, just to get in shape, and to help deal with the 55 deg water, but after 4 days/week in the gym since January, and 15 lbs lighter, I started the season with my opener and shortened to -32 yesterday. This is the earliest in the year I've run 32, so I have high hopes for a good season due to dragging 15 lbs less around the lake.

• Baller
Although we really started skiing almost 2 months later than usual, thanks to that biznitch Mother Nature, technically I'm skiing better than any year previously. Thanks to @tfin , I found a way to link some mechanics which resolved a couple of small, but glaring issues I had technically. For the first time, I'm capable of running 6 or 8 back to back 28s and get something meaningful out of it. Or 3 or 4 28s and 3 or 4 32s. I couldn't do that last year. Also thanks to Trent, I put a plan together for the year. Actually wrote it down in a notebook and on a day I know I'm going to ski, I write down what the plan for that day is. Then take notes afterwards on how the set went, what I did correctly, what I did incorrectly, etc. I'm actually getting meaningful feedback from myself now and getting something out of practice, as opposed to getting drug around by the boat and grabbing beer afterwards.

• Baller

@OB you rocking 38 already! Sweet!

I'm not supposed to ski leading up to the 'ol neck surgery, but bro Jim has the new boat and all. Couldn't smuggle my ski and gear with the family so I went out to pull Jim. We were around the corner out of sight...so borrowed his drysuit/gloves and Mapple with a Strada binding...every bit of that foreign to me. Yah I didn't look so good but had a good time.

• Baller
Tried to raise my accusink course yesterday. Only one buoy came to surface. This is a normal thing early in year due to the cold water. Tried to manually raise the others from there by walking the pvc to the boat gates. Grabbed the first gate buoy and pulled it up to examine. Subfloat detached from pvc and tore out airline. Then the gate buoy safety tie detached from the sub buoy the sub buoy sank to bottom not attached to anything. Result is the course is on the bottom with an open air line and lost subfloat. Water is to cold to dive yet so I am out at least a few more weeks. I just know that @Horton is somehow responsible for this!!

• Baller

Knowing I will be surgerized in the next month I'm willing to free ski my can off in the short term loaded with prednisone. Took 60 cuts tonight (30 each direction with a rest) on glass behind a friends TSC1 SN196. Simple pleasures and what a riot on a huge sheet of glass. So happy to be on my own ski/binding set-up after feeling like a goober on @razorskier1's equipment a few days ago. Fairly sore, and happy about it. I do really love my Razor2 with D3 leverage set up!

Hoping to see some easy, low risk buoy passes prior to surgery...then suck it up wanting during recovery for most of the season and maybe get something out of late season. Good excuse for winter ski trips to make up for lost time.

Ballers...go get your PB's and post...I will need to live vicariously.

• Baller
I've got six sets in so far and only a moderately stiff shoulder. I haven't chopped any rope yet, but my stack is noticeably improved. I had a broken ankle by this time last year, so I'm hellbent NOT to push it for a few weeks. Hopefully i'll carry this stack into my tougher passes when the time comes.

• Baller
I got a shot of cortisone in my shoulder this morning. The ortho thought it was just a strained rotator cuff based on the fact that I still have decent strength in the tests he was doing. I hope he was right. Last thing I want is to wait 4 weeks then go back and need more work. Hopefully later in the week the pain will have settle down and I can start doing some rehab.

• Baller

@6balls, that's too bad about the abbreviated season.

Personally saw the 3 ball a few times at 32 off down at Bennett's ski school this spring and that's within 4.5 of my pb of 1.5 at 35. Unfortunately I also went and blew my opener at the ISU collegiate tournament this spring getting 3rd place in slalom with a grand total of 5 buoys. I would call that a lack of consistency myself.

Have been a little inconsistent this winter and spring, and not up to my progress of last summer, but yesterday I got 12 out of 12 full passes at 28, -15, which I think is a first for me. Going up to the course lake again today, and will try to get a 30 or two. Thanks to the other members for the help and coaching.

• Baller
I am going to do my best to avoid the dreaded mid-season slump that inevitably occurs once the water temps get into the low 90's. Not sure if there is a correlation between those two things or not. Right now, I'm about twenty sets into the season and just beginning to get to the point that I'm feeling really comfortable on the water again. This time of year is simply fantastic

• Supporting Member

NERD ALERT! @Texas6 There is clearly a correlation between them: you stated they happen at the same time every year. What you're wondering is whether there's a causation.

Man I came so close to having sufficient judgement not to post this. Oh well, back to Supernerd Therapy...