Best Vest For Rib Protection

volsandskis

• Baller

I believe that my Eagle protects my ribs better that my older pull over or Outlaw Oneill. It gives a firm fit that keep my rib cage in place and also giving me better chances to slide on the water that bulkier vests.

I have hurt my ribs wearing o'neill Gooru and years before wearing the Outlaw. Never after bad crashes with my Eagle on.

• Baller
I have been using an O'neill outlaw vest no broken ribs yet. looking at the 2015 O'neill slasher vest it has more rib padding not sure if the vest will ride up with out straps.

• Baller
I just bought an Radar X-vest myself. I've only got to use it twice so far this year in Northern IL, and I haven't taken any falls, but so far I love the fit....neoprene on the sides is very noticeable. But in a good way, at least to me.

• Baller
Of the comp vests I'll add a +1 for the oneil outlaw. One of the only comp vests I've found that will actually float me with no air in my lungs, but not bulky or restrictive. I've worn one for years now, but sorry, no input on how well it would protect the ribs... Hopefully I won't be doing that experiment any time soon!

• Baller

I'm in the market for a new vest this year. I have a propensity to injure ribs, so rib protection is going to be important in whatever I buy.

The last post in this thread is from a couple years ago. At the time, it seemed that Radar X-Vest, O'neil Outlaw, O'neil Slasher, and Eagle vests were identified for best rib protection.

Any updates to this? Confirmations, or new / different ideas? The Camaro Impact (and Impact 2.0) vests seem interesting as well... and they specifically mention rib protection.

• Baller
I've thought about this a lot after brusing my ribs in fall a couple years back. The ribs I hurt were on my side below my arm pit. None of the vest I've used have any protection in this area. Personally I have never fallen and belly flopped on the floatation or cushioned part of the vest across the front of my chest. If there were some cushion in this area on the side of the vest, it may not help and would likely interfere with arm movement. I've often wondered if a semi flexible plastic shield might help, but I'm sure there could be problems with that idea.

• Baller

@Gar Here are a couple pics of our vests. We went with a little higher density padding so it can absorb more impact in the chance of a big crash. Haven't heard of anyone having any upper body complaints from a fall in our vest. I took a doozey last year, edge change at the first wake at 39off and got full on air born with the ski behind me, kind of like a wakeboard air raley with a 360 in it but on a slalom ski. The only thing that hurt was the ski coming up and whacking me in the head. Otherwise body was all good

g0gtobm3n7l6.jpg

qjykqgs27a8z.jpg

6szh1ilbvb3g.jpg

• Baller

In my opinion/experience the vests that break up the water at the impact point are the ones that would serve someone best during a high impact crash. Sometimes padding only serves to transfer the impact rather than dissipate the force. I would focus on vests that meet this criteria. I broke a couple ribs years ago, which got me looking into other vest options. I've had Oneill's, Eagles, Camaros, and most recently I've purchased the Stokes EVO.

Though I haven't skied yet with my Stokes vest, I have high expectations. To me, the design, materials, and manufacturing appear to exceed most other high end options. I'm looking forward to many sets with it!

As a side note, @Thomasasher was awesome to work with regarding sizing and other concerns I had!