Skiing on the Big Island in Hawaii

Sethski

• Baller
I skied in Kauai a number of years ago, not in a course but slalomed on the river. I heard there was a course on the river at one time. I am not sure if they are still in business, but I still have the brochure: Kauai Waterski & Surf Company, 4-356 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa. Phone (808) 822-3574 or (808) 344-7915.

• Baller

I was the one that maintained a course on Kauai for many years. When I left there so did the course. It took a lot of work to keep that course going and no one wanted to step up when I left. It was a spectacular place to ski. Had people skiing there like Glenn Frey and Christy Brinkly when they lived on Kauai. Also living there was Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stalone. They all liked the really low key lifestyle on Kauai.

Prior to being on Kauai I was a partner with Mike Suyderhouds Dad, with a Ski School on Oahu and a Nautique Dealership. I spent a vast amount of time searching all the Islands for a place to put in a Private Lake, including the Big Island. Hawaii is a very Liberal State and the environmental issues were HUGE...Very long story !!!

There were two Ski Clubs on Oahu and we held a lot of really good Tournaments there, with some really great people. Plus I had a course set up in front of my house in Hawaii Kai prior to moving to the Wailua River in Kauai.

Last I heard there was a company on the Big Island pulling Wakeboarders and Skiers on the Ocean on the South side by the Airport. No course or anything there though.

• Baller

@Keukaskier ... Here is where I use to live and ski on Oahu. I don't know if they kept my Slalom Course there or not. Have not been back there since I retired from the Airlines a few years a go.

http://hawaiiwatersportscenter.com/package/waterski/

Here is the Ski Club that does have a Slalom Course where we skied Tournaments.

http://oahuwaterskiclub.com/

This is Kauai, but I believe my course is no longer there.

http://kauaiwaterskiandsurf.com/

@Sethski ... If your not after a Course, as I said before you can go on the Ocean with the only company I know that offered Skiing and Wakeboarding on the Big Island. Don't worry about Tiger Sharks in Kona, Scuba Dived there and never saw one. They favor surfers that they think are Big Turtles. Call Brent at 808-896-7656 or e-mail

reservations@alohaworkshops.com

• Baller

Kauai they ski/board on the waiumai river, saw them when we were kayaking. Honestly there are so many things to see and do in the islands that can't be done anywhere else that I wouldn't spend 10 minutes waterskiing there unless you have already done everything else.

Could have gone snow skiing in the big island, but the volcano park was so much better.

And fyi gas station sushi is awesome there.

• Administrators
@Sethski you are going to freaking Hawaii. Forget water skiing for a few days. Swim, surf, drink and look at hot girls in bikinis. If you're taking your lovely lady friend with you don't get caught looking at hot girls in bikinis.

• Baller
Thanks Eddie. I and trying to figure out if I have enough down time to get over to the Y and ski with Kenny. I have communicated with him in the past but I will be working on the big Island and would have to fly to Hawaii. Still, it might be worth it. @Horton I have been in island I have been working in The virgin islands and then Puerto Rico of and on for the last two months and now a Hawaii for almost a month off and on. At some point you have to stop hanging out at the beach and drinking beer and looking at bikinis and get back to work. A man's got to ski!

• Baller

Having a vacation rental home in Kona, we have yet to ski there. It might be possible to open ocean ski but parasailing is realistically as close as you can get on the Big Island.

Oahu has a nice site and club at Sand Island near the airport. I haven't skied there for a couple years but high level performances are possible there - especially in the morning.

Hawaii Kai is OK but unskiable once the wind comes up.

Kauai is fun on the river. I just tricked there. There might have been a four buoy course but the tour boats took the seriousness out of the set. It was a long while ago.

We did look at some possible sites on the North Shore of Oahu but couldn't make anything happen. Maui might have a crosswind site but we didn't get interested.

Still pipe dreaming about a site at the Energy Lab next to the Kona airport. We'll host Nationals there when we build it.

Eric

• Baller_

+1 for Skiing on the Wailua in Kauai with Kenny! Great folks, cool river. You can get a nice little 2 mile free ski run up river, then turn around and do it again as many times as you like. He runs a Malibu response. No course anymore, but that shouldn't stop you.

This was Friday, skiing with Kenny: https://instagram.com/p/BCTp6b3BDfl/

This might turn out to be the best FlowPointTV episode yet...

• Baller

Bump. So I may "have to" travel to Hawaii in late Aug. It doesn't sound like there is anywhere on the Big Island to waterski? I have skied Oahu and it was fun, but I am not island hopping just to ski. I would blow it off entirely but its the week before the BigDawg Final and even a free ski ride to keep up fitness would be fun. Any help is appreciated.

• Baller_
I have been to big island many times and covered most of it end to end. I have yet to see a site that would allow for skiing. @Roger Logan had an idea for man made lake out by the Kona airport but it did not work out.

• Baller

Quite the coincidence that this thread popped up this week... fiancé and I are 8 days into our 10 day vacation to Kauai. We are staying on the north shore which I’m sure as many of you have seen, not the best week for the north shore of Kauai (unfortunately, explains why I have been able to keep up with BOS).

On our first day we saw an ad for waterskiing on the Wailua. We made the same comment - why would we do that here when we can do that anytime at home? Now, given the chaos that has unfolded (mass flooding, landslides, road closures, etc), we are unable to reach or accomplish over half of the things we had planned (trails closed, beaches ruined, roads blocked, etc). At the risk of sounding like a spoiled tourist (obviously feel awful for the locals who have experienced terrible losses), we have woken up the last three days wondering what we are going to each day. So far we have resorted to driving to the south side and fighting the clouds and cold for every little ounce of sun we can get.

Long story short, maybe we will give Kenny a call in the morning! Not sure how his area of the river has faired, but we are up for anything at this point.

Anyone have rainy day suggestions for us on Kauai? We are staying in Princeville and have hit just about all the trails and beaches the south and west sides have to offer. Thanks!

• Baller

Quite the coincidence that this post popped up this week - fiancé and I are 8 days into our 10 day trip to Kauai. We are staying on the north shore and unfortunately, as many of you have probably seen, not the best week for the north shore of Kaui (which explains why I sadly have kept up with BOS from Hawaii...)

On our first day, we saw an ad for skiing on the Wailua. We made the same comment, why would we go skiing when we can do that anytime at home? Now, given the chaos that has unfolded (mass flooding, landslides, etc.), we are unable to do over half the things we had planned (trails closed, roads blocked, beaches ruined). At risk of sounding like a spoiled tourist (obviously feel awful for the locals given many of their terrible losses), we have woken up the last three days wondering what we are going to do each day. So far, we have resorted to driving to the south side and soaking of every little ounce of sun we can get between showers.

Long story short, maybe we will give Kenny a call in the morning! Not sure how his area of the river has faired, but we are up for anything at this point.

Anyone have any rainy day recommendations for us on Kauai? We are staying in Princeville and have already hit just about every trail and beach the south and west sides have to offer! Thanks for the help!

• Baller
@OSUwaterskier I highly recommend skiing with Kenny. I went twice while on Kauai many years ago. Awesome experience and scenery! I have a framed picture of myself skiing the Wailau. It’s still brings a smile to my face every time I see the photo!

• Baller

@OSUwaterskier ... Having lived on Kauai for 10 years in the past, the problem is when the heavy rains hit the mountains and you have the flash flooding, it sends trees and crap down all the rivers. I use to see huge trees and logs come right down the Wailua River and take out my entire Slalom Course in minutes. Even the sub-buoys.

Fortunately, I had big screw anchors in the bottom to reattach everything to, but it usually takes at least a week for all the logs to clear out.

You will know if your driving over the bridge at the mouth of the Wailua, if the Beach is blown out and looking up the River looks like a log jam.

This usually happens twice a year. Sorry to hear you just happened to be there during one of those times.

• Baller

Thanks @Ed_Johnson

When we drove over the bridge on 56 last night, there was still a massive log jam. They have been closing the bridge each night to work on it but still looks like they have a long way to go. Sounds like that’s not a good sign for skiing... Will probably still give him a call to let him know he’s getting a lot of good recommendations on BOS!

• Baller
We were there a month ago, and my wife was bitching about the one day of rain we had. We were lucky and the weather other than that day was great. Sounds like the north shore got pummeled. Saw pics of the park at the Hanelai pier, its almost gone. So sad. @jjackrash how was it at Poipu? It's remarkable how different the climate is on the two sides of not that big of island.

• Baller

Its been cloudy and overcast with patchy rain, but fine for us. Its still 75 all day. We have been able to do everything we wanted to, i.e., beach time and surfing, pool time, offroading with 4 wheelers (we got to swing on the rope swing Indiana Jones used in Raiders to get to the sea plane), catamaran snorkeling tour up the na pali coast, hiking, etc. Today we are taking a helicopter tour and then flying home.

The lucky part is I was ready to book a condo in Princeville/Hanelei, and my buddy was like, "that's the wet part of the Island, you want to stay in the South this time of year," so we booked in Poipu and its been great.