What have you lost in your lake?

TEL

• Baller
Since moving on a lake a year and a half ago. I have lost sunglasses, Ski handle, one glove, drone, sockets, screwdriver and goggles that I bought to look for future stuff that falls in, went to throw them in the boat while on my lift hit one of the cables right to the bottom.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Handle caught in a slack rope from a handle pop, G10 binding plate with micro just blew into the water, cell phone slid off the dash of a new MC and over the gunnel, ceiling fan blades blown off by tropical storms, nice craftsman wrench working on the jump. That’s all I can remember. I’m sure there’s more.

• Baller
My wife dropped a iPhone into Jovias Pond. I figured it was gone. A few hours later another guy suggested I try to find it. I dove into the muddy bottom and somehow found it. That was three plus years ago. The darn thing still works. No bag of rice or anything.

• Baller
We use a 12v battery powered pump for jump water. Had it off charging it. Guy says "I'll put it on." Puts it on his platform. Did he idle out? Noooo, he slams it down and off goes the deep cycle marine battery. I guess we're all still skiing in battery acid residuals.

• Baller

Cell phone, Leatherman and other various small tools. Once lost a pair of sunglasses the day I bought them. AMEX replaced the sunglasses and covered the cell phone for the price of the contract which was above the amount I had charged on the card.

I am hoping to recover a large drill bit I use to measure the ice, chuck came loose and it went through the ice. Just got my SCUBA tank filled for that mission.

• Baller
I dropped a crescent wrench when adjusting the legs on the dock after ice out one year. Figured I'd get it once the water was warmer but could never locate the damn thing even though I knew exactly where it went in. Crystal clear water too.

• Members
Pair of Serengeti sunglasses - just use cheap ones for the lake now. Handle after detaching from the rope. My buddy flew over us skiing one day in his Cessna 210, stuck his head out the window to yell at us as he buzzed over, and lost his Ray Ban's. They dropped 15 feet in front of the boat as we were setting down after running the course. LMAO.

• Baller

In the Back-Back, when I was a kid, I would wear my watch while skiing. Saw C. G. skiers wearing a watch; thought it was cool. I fell, and it went to the bottom. Had approximate location, but a diver couldn't find it. Fortunately, not an expensive watch. Another time, when I went to my local marina to get some screws, they gave me 1 extra "for the lake".

• Baller

Our local lake requires we wear "highly visible head gear" while we ski. We're pretty sure the lake is lined with cheap bright hats that weve lost over the years.

On the opposite topic, we once found a bowling ball floating in the lake...

• Baller

Handle pop came back and sent my friends gopro and the arm clamp (attached to the pylon) flying into the water. Never seen again.

Gopro needs to add a pressure sensor so it can detect “gopro overboard” situation and go into strobe mode to make it easy to find on the bottom of the lake!

• Baller
Lots of sockets and wrenches, plenty of sunglasses, expensive ear plugs, cheap ear plugs, cuff to a FM hard shell, a gopro with some great footage for sure. Finally, some pec tendon, a little rotator cuff and labrum, several degrees of ankle mobility, and about a dozen eardrums.

• Baller
My GoPro. First time using it I had it stuck onto the front of the ski and tied the safety lanyard to my binding. The mount holding it to the ski snapped hitting the wake and the safety lanyard eye broke on the case. I owned the thing for 6 days and sunk it :/

• Baller
When my son was three he went “fishing” with a brand new handle when we were stopped between sets. He dropped the handle and never saw a fish.... lol. It had only five sets on it. We still laugh about it today every time we stop to change handles.

"Do Better..."

• Baller
Dry Suit! I was skiing and my wife’s new dry suit blew out of boat and past me. It sank before we could get, dove and dove looking for it until I was approaching hypothermia. Of course you don’t ski with a dry suit unless it is cold.

Lol, how about a ski? Chain-o-Lakes in Illinois, all mud bottom, trying to get my foot back into the binding so I stood on ski and pushed my foot in the binding. Pull my leg up, foot popped out of the binding, ski stayed stuck in the mud. Never could find it.

More recently we were trying to ride in a chair on a disk--but we neglected to check if the chair floats.... Umm where did the chair go?

• Baller
@bmalec ....similar situation. We had a kid's plush horse that we would ride on a disc for jack-assery. The boat driver did not understand just how little gas you need to get going on the disc. Amazing how fast plush horses take on water.

• Baller
Lost the rudder off my '73 Nautique years ago- that lets in a lot of water fast... plugged it with a rag and made it to shore. My first tournament, a jumper crashed and one of his skis sank and never came up. No idea if it was ever found.

• Baller

There is a (was new) tape measure beneath our lift. Only a few nuts and bolts around lift. Fairly minor things lost in the lake over the years. Many close calls. Sunglasses don’t float. Caught them just in time. Rash guards, tee shirts, and towels don’t float either.

Others have lost GoPros in the lake like @LoopSki. Awaiting for one day when a catfish or a carp come to the surface wearing it.

• Baller_

We lost a diamond engagement ring about 70 feet from shore. We found it the next day.

I found a LL Bean Maine hunting boot in the muck under my dock. It had been missing for about 10 years, maybe longer. I still had the mate. Off to Bean for new soles and Bob’s your uncle!

Lpskier

• Baller
Was doing some close up work on something so I set my glasses on the pontoon boat cover. The problem was I didn't have the stakes under the cover and a gust of wind came up billowing the cover up and tossing the glasses in the lake. I had just lost a $500 pair prescription glasses less than a year earlier so no f***ing way I was losing another pair. The next problem was the wind was rippling the surface of the water so I couldn't see the bottom, plus I didn't have my glasses and I'm blind. Had a sudden burst of inspiration. I went up to the cottage dug around in the kitchen and found my wife's large glass flat bottom baking pan. Went down to the lake and pressed the pan on the surface of the water enabling me to see the bottom. Finally after 20 minutes of looking I found my damn glasses!