Is The Ski Nautique An Epic Fail

ozski

• Baller
So the Ski Nautique has been with us for a while and given the new Mastercraft looks so good on paper I suspect Nautique is going to shed a good chunk of its base to MC. The 196 and 200 both classic ski boats for different reasons but will the expensive gigantic Ski Nautique be held in the same regard? I don't think its the game changer everyone was hoping for.. Where does Nautique go from here?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

I’ve been a Nautique guy but I can’t get over the looks of the new one.

The new Mastercraft is gorgeous, reasonably priced and well thought out.

I’m sure they both perform excellent though.

• Baller

I’ll never get over the looks although I’m sure it’s the smoothest quietest easiest driving best fit and finish most solid boat out there, by far, because Nautique is in another league entirely there undeniably, not up for debate. Just can’t do it on the looks and amount of Seadek. The Seadek polygonal insanity.

From my perspective if I was lucky enough to afford another new boat this has broken my love affair with Nautique so I personally hope for a change in direction. This was an inflection point for me with the brand and that’s sad.

People that have them love them (hi Bruce) so they certainly don’t think it’s a miss. I guess don’t assume that it’s universally lauded.

• Baller_
SeaDeck....it’s in the name. It’s supposed to look like teak decking you walk on. Does a pretty good job. Sharp looking. But when you start bending it around a bunch of curves on other surfaces of the boat that’s not a walkable surface it just looks so out of place. So you have an angular boat that bends a flat surface product around curves (motor box) it’s no surprise to hear comments like “....it looks like SeaDeck threw up in here” and “...does Nautique now own SeaDeck?” as general and often heard comments. I suspect some changes will come or we will just have to get used to what feels like fingernails on a chalk board.

• Baller

I said it even before the '21 Prostar came out, but is even more relevant since....

When the Nautique came out in 2019, with still some debate as to whether it was the best boat out there (compared to the prostar that came out in '14) then they failed. With the advances in the '21 prostar, the Nautique is severely lacking.

• Baller

They lost me when they shrink wrapped the boat in the tan seadeck!

I haven’t skied behind one so I can’t say if they over promised on the impact of the micro-tuners on the wake.

Provided the build quality and reliability hasn’t dropped, I can get over the angular hull design.

That said, I just looked at a new 2020 that has the grey seadeck with an all white interior which actually looks pretty good.

• Baller_

edbyaiorakry.jpg

Epic fail? No Nautique did exactly what they wanted with this boat. Make the boat complicated with state of the art up to date technology. Provide styling that is out of this world. Price the boat out of reach of the general competitive waterskier. Dealers would not order ski boats because of the slim profit margins. Now build a complicated pricey boat the margins get better.

They only want to build a limited number of units and they are holding to it.

Now want to talk about a dismal fail, The Bryant built 200 re-boot is just that. Heard Nautique has taken the new 200 manufacturing back to O town where they can better control the manufacturing process.

• Baller

I've had sea dek on 2 boats, now in my 3rd year with the prostar after it being used at a ski school for 6 months and the sea dek looks new. Granted there aren't a lot of regular foot traffic areas on the original layout, tho I added some on the transom step through, and bow pass through, and driver foot rest (like the feel of seadek below my feet instead of non-slip fiberglass.) On previous bow rider it was on the swim platform. All sea dek still looks new.

I haven't had to replace any yet, but the new pieces I added weren't that expensive, especially if you find a dealer that will cut and sell by the foot.

• Baller

I replaced all the Sea Dek on my 200 recently because it basically wore out after the previous owner scrubbed clean it a few too many times, and then the sun beating on it finished it off. If you do it right, it is a royal PITA to replace. Between having it peel up in pieces, going through several bottles of Goo Off and paint thinner to dissolve all the remaining adhesive, prepping the surface with rubbing alcohol, it was many hours of misery and cussing. I look at the Sea Dek nightmare on the new Nautique and all I can see is misery when it comes time to replace it.

Pump the brakes on the glut of Sea Dek and putting some upholstery in its place please...

• Baller
I'll be the odd guy out, I like it, the more time I spend in it, the more I like it, it drives great, has great sight lines, super comfy for all day tourney driving, Great power, good to ski behind, the 6.2 in any other MFG boat feels like a freight train. What they could improve is price (obviously) and make it an open bow, or removable lid option like the MC

• Baller_
@jayski very loud interior cockpit area at 34-36 slalom. 35 mph jumping wow! What a rush! I dig that engine sound cause I am a gear head but going back down the lake at 26 mph with the jumper I get this ringing sound in my ear and I can't hear the boat judge.

• Baller
@swc5150 would they want to sell a bunch of them? For sure. Do they want to have 20 of last years models unsold? I don't think its a fail, but I do think it is a big leap in money for the outcome. I personally prefer the roomier interior of the MC over the sitting in a bathtub feel of the nautique.

• Baller
Regarding not offering the open bow, I kinda get it and I'm behind it actually. The 200 bow is so low that quite frankly it's dangerous on busy open water. I personally know of 2 200s that were totally sunk (floating only because of foam floatation) due to water over the bow. Probably a decent insurance claim statistic on the 200 OB and total losses due to water over the bow since 2010. Going only CB I certainly don't blame Nautique for. The rest of the boat- my retinas are still recovering. :p

• Baller

Epic Fail? No. Absolutely not. Not even close.

But right now, MC just seems really tough to beat for the majority of folks who are in the market.

I think I read on here at one point from somebody close to Nautique that everything about this boat was designed with the purpose of getting Nate through 43 off. If that's true though, then they were designing a boat that simply wouldn't appeal to a very broad market.

I think a lot of ski boats get sold that never see a single 35 off pass run behind them. Lots and lots of folks buying ski boats just aren't that good of skiers.

• Members
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For example, @jjackkrash's new boat looks awesome to me. The new Nautique is certainly the best trick boat and probably the best jump boat. However, it is my least favorite to slalom behind; clearly worse than my 2016 200. I can get the same score behind all three brands, so perhaps the fact that it is my least favorite to ski does not matter any more than my opinion on the looks. However, add it all up and even if all the boats were priced evenly, I would not choose the new Nautique. The fact that it is way more expensive and not better at anything other than trick skiing makes it fail, but not an epic fail, in my book.

• Baller

Wonder if the aesthetics have to do with materials and the ability to make a 2945 lb boat - with CC there is almost always a reason behind the design. Anyway a single color deck and hull really calms the looks down.

And yes for three event skiers tricks matter (probably more than slalom and jump). With 10 hydrogate positions and 5 ballast positions (instantaneously available without having to shlep weights), with some practice time at a tournament site you can probably get the wakes you practice with.

• Baller
It's failure because it's not better to ski behind than the previous boat, in some cases feels just awful, Full stop. Lot of nice things about it but it's a ski boat first and foremost. They failed the ski part...

Only the price was a epic fail. If the price was comparable to the ProStar/Response then I'm sure many more would have been sold in 2019-2020. Nautique and especially Malibu will be looking up at MasterCraft in the three event world until they come out with something better.

• Baller

It'd be interesting to know how many hours each of you has logged in or behind the new Nautique as you make these judgements. I'm a die-hard Correct Craft fan and thought the new Ski Nautique was the most ridiculous looking money pit anyone could buy....until my buddy got his promo. We put 100 hours on his boat each year, most of which I was present for, and I became a believer.

While I'm still not a huge fan of the aesthetics, the drivers and spotters experience are second to none. We spent the entire summer spinning skiers 2-3' from the shoreline on both ends of our club site (gravel pit) and had no issues with power, visibility or handling.

As an observer/judge, we piled two wide comfortably in the observer seat for hours on end. Sure, it's probably a bit over the top with a lot of stuff you don't really need but it's still a first class experience.

Lastly, at the end of the rope, every single one of our club members posted better scores behind the Nautique. My wife hates the price tag and isn't fond of the looks but absolutely loves the wakes.

So @Jody_Seal it’s called working my arse off, supporting my family , paying taxes and spending wisely so I can afford my $90k truck, $100k ski boat, live in my 7 figure home on a private lake and have the ZR 1 sitting in the garage for fun! Next question?

(Hi Joel).

I’ve have 6 200’s. Great ski boats. Tracking awesome. Looks....meh. It’s like running shoes for a runner.....who cares what they look like, they support me during my run.

I HAVE TO HAVE A BOAT THAT TRACKS STRAIGHT, are there other options?

I brought the SN 2019 home June 6. My wife (my primary driver) drove me. In the past when I brought a boat home she really didn’t say much,”feels the same to me” she would say. My first set, 28, 32, 35 back to back, 4@38. She looks at me in the water and says “ I’m not sure about this boat and not sure what’s happening but this is the best boat I’ve ever driven “. Happy driver/wife....priceless.

Don’t judge folks for what they have or don’t have. Be happy for everyone in this sport because let’s face it, it’s expensive no matter what ski you’re on or what boat is pulling you.

• Baller_

@Buxrus

I know right?? You can't hide money! Glad you are utilizing a craft you are comfortable with and can afford. But for many is there a better mousetrap bang for the buck?

I am sure seeing a lot more Mastercrafts at tournaments where in the last 10 years or so there were none. I wonder if that bang for the buck is going to be helpful for MC Sales??

• Supporting Member

It's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I sure am beholding a lot of ugly.

Even from a mechanical standpoint, it just looks like it was designed so that if you tap it in just the right place it falls into about 20 pieces. Maybe there's a rare artifact in there and you just need the magic key to splinter it apart and reveal the treasure!!

• Baller

Respectfully "IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE A BOAT THAT TRACKS STRAIGHT...are there options?", all you "Have to have" is a 196. My wife is my primary driver too and drives 38 and 39 off with a 2004 ZO REV S 196. Lucky enough and also "worked my arse off" where I could pay cash for a new one....but won't do it. I no longer buy into the marketing crap any more, nor try to impress others with new crap. That is why I still ski behind a 2004 boat and when I need to pull it, I get out an old 1996 4x4 Explorer. If a boat is like running shoes, unless they are worn out, why replace it? Finally learned a boat does not make you a better skier.

A 196 certainly does not track as well as the new Nautique, but the new one sure as hell does not track $100k better and I ski the same scores behind both. Perhaps we differ in our definition of "spending wisely". I believe that was Jody's point and I agree with him.

I personally feel Nautique did a huge disservice to their dealers. Let’s make a $130k ski boat. Few months later....oh wait just kidding let’s make a version of our former successful ski boat and change the name and sell it for much less. Ouch.

• Baller
I've heard comments from those that have skied behind the Nautique and they weren't flattering about the wake. What specifically is it that some people don't like about the wake? Btw, I have owned three nautiques(currently in a 200) and I am considering a 2021 Ski Nautique. @jjackkrash thanks for giving me a gelcoat pattern, I love your boat.

• Baller

Let's be fair, unless any new boat adds 6+ balls to my average score right off the bat I am not in the market. When I can be in my ZO boat for less than half what a new or promo boat costs for virtually the same pull it's a no brainer to me. Everyone has their justifications for what they have or want, that is fair, but $20,000+ for a little better wake or a slightly easier driving experience ain't worth it to me.

I am in the TSC3 club until it blows up, then I'll buy another. Ticks every box for me and it is under 30k.