Ballers in Ontario, Canada ??

ballsohard

• Baller
Half hour from the Manitoba border on Lake Of The Woods, open water course. On a good day in August we can have 6 or 7 skiers, most of who are summer residents. Otherwise it's only 2 of us, skiing in rough, windy conditions and freezing our A$$'s off! Most of us are in our 50's and have been skiing forever, still trying to keep it real!

• Baller
At my cottage on Lake Wahwashkesh most of the time. I have a set booked at McClintocks for tomorrow morning. I am a former member of Summerski which was run out of a small lake near Newmarket, also have skied at Bush's near Bala Muskoka long ago.

• Baller
I’m not from Ontario, but we spend summers at our cottage on Blackfish Bay in Combermere. All summers but this one, that is. No border crossing for us this year. We can usually be found on my slalom course at 9 every morning during July and August.

• Baller

My home lake is Puslinch with McClintock Ski Club.

This season have skied there, plus Bush’s, Aberfoyle, T’s pond, Carp, Muskoka, Kawartha’s.

Everyone, 35+, come to the 3rd annual ibuprofen open in June! With @GHLskier and me.

• Members

Haliburton, ON, Redstone Lake.

New-ish to skiing, open water so far as no course on lake. Pre Covid booked 3 lessons with McClintock bu might wait till next season. Shoulder is injured so season has been less than ideal.

I do want to get to the course and hope that next year can make that happen.

• Baller
Am in Toronto, and ski at our cottage on Lower Buckhorn Lake in the Kawarthas. Have spent time this summer at Spray Lake. I used to ski on a course on Clear Lake which sadly we lost 2 years ago due to complaints from a few, but vocal residents near the course. I have been interested in putting up a new one somewhere (hopefully on Lower Buckhorn?) but have not found sufficient local interest yet...

• Baller

Kushog Lake in Haliburton. We have a course setup and I run a bubble butt Nautique. Although I'm only there for a week or 2 and a few weekends. Ski mostly at Mcclintocks, and a little at just about every other ski school in the province that will pull me with my schedule lol.

Was on Kennisis Lake for many years and had a course there which I did get a permit for about 10 years ago. @mmskiboat @GeorgeCostanza there used to be a course on little red years ago too.

• Baller

Doesn't matter if you have a permit or not, if there are lake residents that dislike the course and take action against it, you're SOL. When I got the permit for Kennisis Lake it was only issued for a floating course on an in and out basis, meaning we were supposed to take it out after every use... Ha! It was up all summer.

I was told basically it's up to the lake owners association, if they determine its unwanted you have to yank it. A permit may open things up to a point of no return as sometimes it's easier to just play dumb IMO. For bigger lakes probably not an option but for smaller lakes get on the board, schmooze, be nice to everyone, be the coolest mofo on the lake, etc.

I did it just to be able to show people we had 1 as I had 1 guy ask if we had a permit, so of course I said yes and proceeded down the road of requesting 1.

I won't be getting a permit for the course I have on Kushog, also been 1 in the same location for 30 years off and on. If people don't like it (we have 1 and a few people who use it randomly but it's mostly just me and 1 other guy, which is an issue as I often have no driver that is capable of tournament vs cottage driving, let alone shortline), I'll either drop permanent anchors on subs and pull the buoys when not around or do a sinker off my dock. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Here is a link I found, information differs from when I got my permit 12 years ago. Says it's annually renewable...

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/docs/r/poli/page01

@ballsohard I'll pm you the guy I dealt with contact from transport Canada. He may not be there of course but he knew what was what.

• Baller

@ballsohard, unless you’re on the Rideau Canal or the Trent–Severn Waterway you don’t need any permit from Parks Canada and get approval every year and etc.. it is pretty clear when you read their documents. what you need is a permit from Transport Canada under the Navigation Protection Program: https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine/apply-npp

They have a list of waterways for which you need a permit. There is a chance you might not need one. But, you should check with a lake association if you have one and also if the lake is in some kind of protected natural environment area/jurisdiction. Other than that you can do pretty much what you want but you can get sued by anyone who disapproves you installations.

Having a course near the shore with people staying there might be an issue. I don’t have that problem but I remember Transport Canada asking me that question when I applied.

• Baller

I'm neither a lawyer, or law enforcement officer, but there is an exclusion included in the Small Vessel Regulations as I interpret them. I read this to mean if you are operating a tow boat which is consistent with WaterSki Canada guidelines, EG, you hold a competitive license, have the appropriate gear (ski, rope, speed control, etc), you would meet this exclusion.

I have this printed in the boat, but I would expect that once produced to the LEO you're definitely getting a ticket! lol never had the opportunity to date...

They were ticketing at Puslinch Lake for this earlier this summer due to some nosey neighbors... the ski school now runs spotters at all times.

Doubtful 99.9% of police are aware of this, and I believe there is or was a reference within the Criminal Code for operating a vessel without a spotter. This is the grey area I'm unsure of, otherwise the statute is pretty clear. Would be interesting to hear how a judge views it. I wouldn't be surprised if its never come up...

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2010-91/page-18.html?txthl=towing+towed#s-1005

Water Sports

1005 (1) No person shall operate or permit another person to operate a vessel for the purposes of towing a person on the water or in the air

(a) unless a person on board other than the operator is keeping watch on every person being towed and is communicating with the operator of the vessel;

(b) unless there is seating space on the vessel to accommodate every person being towed;

© unless every person being towed is wearing a personal flotation device or lifejacket or the vessel carries on board the personal flotation device or lifejacket that would be required under Parts 2, 4 or 5 if the person was on board; or

(d) during periods of restricted visibility or in the period beginning one hour after sunset and ending at sunrise.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of a vessel that is operated during formal training, in an official competition or in a skill demonstration if the vessel meets the safety requirements of a governing body respecting that training, competition or demonstration.

oh and if you chose to produce this regulation to a LEO please don't tell them Killer told it was okay to ski without a spotter!

• Baller

No longer criminal to drive a skier without a spotter.

The exception is there as you mentioned @Killer and cops should know about it but they don’t at least most of them, so you might get a ticket, but at least there is no more criminal accusation for it. But if you fit in the exception you will have to defend yourself in court which sucks!

I was told by a driver at a tournament that if the skier and driver are members of their association and they compete, or at least one of them, every time they ski is like a « formal training » which makes sense. I can't find anywhere if this was ever challenged in court.

Waterski Canada should clarify for us what is « Formal training ». I am one of those who skied and drove A LOT without a spotter! Skiing is more important than whatever the consequences are of not having a spotter

• Baller

@killer, @drew, @FLeboeuf It's a very confusing situation.

I was speaking to our favourite water skiing lawyer (JS) at T-'s pond last week.

From what I understood:

1) The person now in charge of slalom courses at the national level is more predisposed to granting approval. Not sure exactly what that means.

2) The issue with spotters is that our governing body (WSWC) wound need to produce some documentation so that we could demonstrate that we are "meeting the safety requirements of our govening body". I don't think there is a such a document. Right now, I would make sure you have a spotter. Also, probably a good idea in general.

• Baller

@Laz #2 was the thing I wasn’t sure about. The rule book doesn’t say much about Safety requirements for boats so...very very gray area there.

For the slalom course approval, I got 2 permits from Transport Canada for 2 courses in 2 different province (ontario and quebec) on the same body of water and was surprised how easy it was. That was 3-4 years ago. The feeling I got is that they don’t give a crap about small buoys as they are not much of an obstacle to navigation.

Hey there. I ski on Raven Lake by Dorset Ontario. We have a ski course that we set up with a few other skiers in the lake. We have an amazing community of skiers. It’s a lot of fun. I skied for the first time at 40. Get pointers from Coach Theiss here on the lake. Now finally, after turning 50 this year I have successfully skied the course at 26mph. I am the only female on the lake to do the course. During the winter we go south and get instruction when we can from T-Gas in Orlando or Mexico at Ski Paradise. Love this

Sport. But we need longer, calmer summers here in Canada!! @BTheis @motoxr

• Baller
On Stony lake often and planning to be there for the whole summer this year. Got into it after the Clear lake Bryson Bay course was already gone but if anyone on one of the nearby kawartha lakes has a course would love to come for laps or even better if there are enough people to make it worthwhile and help set up on Stony I would gladly get a portable course for this summer.

• Baller
I'm in Muskoka, live near Bala on Musquash River. There's a large open portion about 2km down river that I can easily ski a course twice. I don't think people would be happy with me putting a course up, but it's crossed my mind. Other than two v-drive boats ours is the only "ski" boat - a do-it-all-ok 94 Sport Nautique. I started skiing when I was 19. I'd love to hook up with anyone in Muskoka to ski! I have very limited experience on the course but ski at 36mph and do ok I think, haha. My main ski partner is my dad, we either ski here or at his place, he's in Utterson on Long's Lake. We both could probably use some input from others as we're usually driving for each other and don't get to watch much.