Whisper Fin Pro?

KRoundy

• Baller

1gd56v909s10.png

Now on the web site;

https://finwhispering.com/product/whisperfin-pro/

"The choice between the original and pro versions of the WhisperFin isn’t so much about boat speed or line lengths as it is about skiing style. Here are some factors to consider:

*Both fins benefit novice through expert skiers by making the ski easier to turn and accelerate.

*Both fins benefit advanced skiers by making it easier to keep the tip down while exiting turns.

*Regardless of line length or skill level, if you tend to approach the turn tip-high then rotate a

lot of tip into the water to turn (think windshield wiper), the pro version is far more forgiving

of this technique.

*If you tend to blow the tail out of the water or to get a lot of tail slides when scrambling, go

pro.

*If your skiing inputs are smooth, progressive and controlled, the original WhisperFin can take

you all the way.

*And since the original rewards smooth skiing, starting a novice on the original WhisperFin

helps build ideal technique by rewarding and reinforcing smooth balanced inputs.

*The pro can always be mounted shallower in the ski to make it just as novice friendly as the

original. But running the original deeper can’t replicate the benefits of the pro’s improved

grip at high roll angles and extreme levels of smear.

*The original is 1/3 cheaper while supplies last."

• Supporting Member
I can generally imagine how those points could do something good in the insanely complicated world of turbulent flows, BUT they seem a little scary. Not sure I'd be comfortable with exposed teeth on the bottom of my ski? Guess if I ran 38 regularly with them, I'd GET comfortable!

• Baller

@igkya I did get some info on the trim tab. The trim tab is the lowest "tooth" on the trailing edge. The almost verticle line is a detent on both sides of the fin that controls where that tooth will bend when adjusted. It can be seen on the picture in my post above. If you protect the trim tab with a cloth and bend it with pliers (or better yet, use a piece of wood with a slot cut into it), you can slightly bend this tab to make the ski roll easier in one direction than the other. If your 1/3/5 side is not as good as your 2/4 side, bending this tab slightly to the left will make turning easier at 1/3/5. Instructions will be posted on the website soon.

• Baller

I read this update about the new fin:

The chevrons reduce cavitation, maintaining the ski tail’s depth in the water under duress. And their upward angle increases their efficiency as roll angles and smear levels increase. This maximizes tail support when you need it most—during the high-speed, tight turns that typically follow late, narrow, scrambling approaches. The pro model increases tail hold so much, it can be run .030” to .040” shallower than the original WhisperFin, which in turn further reduces tip-rise out of turns and increases acceleration.

Sounds exciting!

• Baller

Congratulations @SkiJay. This new fin looks exciting. It’s hard to think about waterskiing when there is snow on the lake but I can’t wait to try this new version. I love engineering and how fit for purpose engineering design improves sport performances. Jay is guru and an amazing engineer for sure since he thinks outside of the box and designs things that just work better.

Everyone: there is a very complete and comprehensive description of the Whisper Fin Pro on Jay’s website. Go have a look. https://finwhispering.com

• Baller

@jimbrake I totally get what you mean. The ROC 550's delaminated a lot. The ST 650 which was the slalom ski held together for some reason but the 550's were not durable. I used to race slalom on 207 ST 650's. I had 215 ROC 550's for GS. Real men skied on the 215's. Both were team skis with black bases not the blue bases of the rack skis. Those were the days. I'm an old guy. I'd like to race GS today on the 550's and compare my time to the Masters GS ski from Rossy to see the difference. I'm sure it would be huge.

I think @SkiJay is helping the sport a lot. I like his innovation and out of the box thinking. I've met Jay, he is a humble, helpful man who knows his stuff. Jay has a huge following in Canada on his products so @Drago's comment surprised me.

• Baller
It's most unfortunate that there is negative criticism regarding products/people trying to improve the sport. If you haven't tried the fin or the new optimized rope, you really should. If they don't work for you then that's fine, sell them. I have both and felt the improvement on the first ride.

• Baller

@Mortyski - haha, I'm old, too. You could easily bend a tip on the ROC 550s if you freeskied them in the bumps. I raced slalom and GS on a single pair of 207 ST Comps to save money. I've got a pair of Rossi's current Masters GS in a 185 and they are sweet. It's pretty crazy how comfortable fast you can be these days on a 165 slalom or a 185 GS. BTW the only reason I brought up old race skis is that I figured @Drago would know what I was talking about.

Re: the OP - I've skied with the Denali CG and the original Whisper Fin and liked them both, but my coach this year poo poo'd fin technology and got me to go back to a standard fin. I think I actually like the standard fin a little better. Feels like a bit more power and grip and acceleration with stock settings on a standard fin. That said, I will try the others again and see what I feel. There's just a honeymoon few sets on whatever is new, then the feeling fades.

• Baller
@LOTW I agree it is awesome to see new product coming out and advancing the sport.... I hated Perfect Pass when it arrived but in the end it has helped all our skiing. Fins are a bit of a different bag... many believe the fin will help/fix their skiing. I think (from experience) we should first work with a coach to optimize our technique and form. I really dont care what ppl spend money on I just suggest best bang for the buck is always coaching

• Baller

Unfortunately, for a lot of people, coaching is considerably more expensive than $300.00. When you live in Canada and do the math, including our unbelievably shitty dollar, it runs into the thousands for a 3 or 4 day trip. Also a stop at Perf and, well...you get the picture. I only wish that I lived in Orlando and had access to coaching like that. It's also cool to look at new gear never mind using it.

Today I am looking at 4" of fresh snow on our frozen lakes and talking sleds and deer.

• Baller
totally agree @LOTW im in Northern Canada and it is difficult to get coaching all the time. we have a few sites with drivers and coaches to access but now days I primarily use video. have you sent your video in to the pros that do critiques? I found that is a pretty good bang for the buck. got me out of a slump this season

• Baller

I'd say Elizabeth is a famous skier and tip rise is part of her style. Nate was running it too.

Jmac does as well and recommends it with no affiliation. 3@41 good enough? He pulls the tip as well, way before using a whisper fin.

I've not tried it but I'd like to!

Haters gonna hate

• Baller

Regarding the WF I have one (15off at 34....22off sometimes skiing Mapple T2) at the begining it felt great espacially when skiing on a private lake. But since I ski 90% on open water, we have conditions changing all the time, rollers, waves, wind, temp etc... therefore at my level I went back to a regular fin because it felt more stable. I think the WF is great if you ski on a private lake and if you can have someone who can help you set up the fin correctly.

Coaching still the best investment !!!!!!

• Baller_

As noted previously, looking to a sponsored athlete on what equipment is being used is not necessarily the indicator of acceptance one might have if free to choose anything.

Many stories about on 'sponsored' products being repackaged or replaced by a preferred product to provide the correct optics. Humorous example gone wrong, a team sponsored by Burger King was caught on national TV eating a track delivered pizza on pit wall. Team owner was not happy after receiving an irate phone call while the race was in progress:-)