Left handed left footed?

BKistler

I’m left handed and ski left foot forward but I always believed there was no strong relationship. But I don’t know. If there are other lefties out there, I’d be interested to know if you are left or right foot forward.

I am not, perhaps, a true lefty. Although I write and eat and shoot left handed, I bat and kick and play guitar right handed. Go figure.

• Baller_
I’m right handed and left foot forward. I kick with my right foot, so, in my opinion, my natural balance is on the left foot. You balance on your front foot. If there is ever anything to do that is dynamic with your feet while skiing, it’s your back foot.

Lpskier

• Supporting Member

All the combinations exist. The only one not explicitly mentioned already is RH/RFF, which I am.

There's all sorts of variation in body mechanics. In track we sometimes have people who jump from a different foot in high jump than long jump. I actually never ask people their handedness for either water-skiing or jumping. It's just about what works for that individual!

• Baller

RH / LFF - but I'm on odd combination of ambidextrousness. My Dad is a lefty and and I write right handed. But a handwriting analyst told me that my hand writing was so bad because I should be left handed. I played a lot of soccer as a youth, left footed predominately until I was able to get my right to catch up. I'm left eye dominate, so I have to shoot lefty, but played baseball and golf righty.

I've been skiing LFF since 4th grade. I can't imagine what it would feel like to swap it around.

• Baller

In the general population: (not related to waterskiing)

Of the right-handed men, 75.5% preferred the right foot, 7.1% the left foot, and 17.4% both feet. Of ambidextrous men, 44.0% preferred the right foot, 28.0% the left foot, and 28.0% both feet. Of left-handed men, 32.3% preferred the right foot, 56.9% the left foot, and 10.8% both feet.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17373094/#:~:text=Of%20the%20right%2Dhanded%20men,%2C%20and%2010.8%25%20both%20feet.

• Baller_

62% of all people are right-foot dominant (standing on 1 foot, hopping, kicking) That seems to correlate to the majority of slalom skiers are RFF.

90% of all people are right-handed, so statistically there is a correlation between Right Handed and Right Footed.

I believe that suggests the among left handed people a greater percentage of them would be LFF compared to the right handed population of skiers.

I believe RFF skiing correlates to your habits that start as a child, with kicking etc.

Bottom line; you are "normal" with LFF as a lefty.

• Baller_

Also left-handed with RFF skiing / right golf / right softball.

I changed my skiing hand-grip last year because it didn't match RFF. That helped my skiing. Better than trying changing to LFF.

• Supporting Member
I think it's a huge oversimplification to call a foot "dominant." @swbca, in fact, mentioned several things that MANY people do not even prefer the same foot for. It's common to prefer kicking with a particular leg but be better at hopping on the other leg. And it's common for people to use a different plant foot even for things as similar as long jump, triple jump, and pole vault.

• Baller_

@Than_Bogan I was quoting a study. Doesn't mean its settled matter >> and it doesn't really matter

1. Most people are right-footed.

According to the newest studies, about 10.6 percent of the world’s population is left-handed, while 89.4 percent is right-handed (Papadatou-Pastou et al., 2020). But how many are right-footed and left-footed?

A recent study with more than 12,000 participants found that just like for handedness, most people have a right-sided preference (Tran and Voracek, 2016). Overall, there were 61.6 percent right-footers, 8.2 percent left-footers, and 30.2 percent mixed-footers. Thus, the numbers of left-handers and left-footers are comparable. However, there is a much higher number of people who are mixed-footed than mixed-handed or ambidextrous. This is likely caused by the fact that we have to choose a hand for writing, but it is not as important to have a preferred foot to carry out foot-specific activities in everyday life.

• Baller

I would agree with @ski6jones My parents both skied LFF. So I do too bc I thought it was normal. Both of my older boys are LFF bc they copied me I suppose. I know it doesn’t matter.

Interestingly my youngest is lefty and only one in my whole family. So I’m curious what foot he will use. Gonna teach him this summer.

• Baller

Many people that learn without training, or exposure to people that have been trained, think that their dominant foot should be in the back.

I've thought about switching, but I am a bit of a mix. A lot of that is being right hand, right foot dominant but left eye dominant. I always felt more comfortable skateboarding and such LFF as I could see better.

• Baller
I'm left handed for all of my fine motor skills. Sports and other not so fine motor skills I'm all over the place. Left foot forward skiing. Bat right handed, hockey stick left, throw right, racket ball left, kick right, golf right. All over the place so in my world it is not related.

• Baller
Left handed - LFF but pullout with rope on left side of ski. I’ve tried many times to pull-out with the “correct” rope on the right side but cannot. I play tennis LH, write LH but play golf and guitar RH. Left leg is stronger as evidenced by numerous PT visits over the past few years…related to minor ski injuries…it’s a work in progress to build up right leg strength.

• Baller

Left handed across the board, LFF

My parents saw at age 4 I was a lefty, they tried rolling the ball back to my right in the hopes of throwing it back righty - nope, I switched hands and threw it back lefty.

Took 2 years to find a lefty catchers mitt for baseball.