Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

What do you consider your personal best?

kmenard

• Baller_

I start with tournament PB.  If we get into a further discussion about it, the topic of how much further I've made it through the course may come up.  At that point, practice may be discussed.  The funny part is that my tournament PBs and practice up-the-line PBs are essentially identical.  I only ever add any buoys after a couple of cracks at the wall pass and it is only 2.5 extra at 34 mph and 3.5 extra at 36 mph.  In fact, I'd be suspicious if I were running additional full passes (or more) up-the-line in practice and not at tournaments.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Both A PB is a PB, state your best score. if you ski tournaments, a tournament PB may hold more meaning to you as that is where you have set the goal posts.   Not everybody skis tournaments so practice PB's are their standard.  I don't really get the concern of it being tournament PB or practice PB.  It's just an indication of what your hardest pass is.  If you can do it in practice it's just a matter of time before you do it in a tournament.   Personally I think all skiers at all levels are awesome.

• Like 9

• Baller_

@skier2788, I consider each PB at each speed separately.  There are those here that will say further down the course on the shorter (or same length) rope is more impressive than the prior loop at a higher speed.  I see the combination of speed and rope length together as a unique challenge all it's own and give respect to higher speed as much as a shorter rope - although I would certainly be intrigued by someone running -41 off at 15.5 mph.

Great skiing, by the way.

• Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Do you have to have to forget about your tournament PB's after they get real old ?   

My first PB of note was at 36mph / 36off . . way back in the early 70's before metric
Then 36mph /  35off late in the 70's
Then 34mph / 38off in the mid 80's

That's all I got.  No more PB's, so I think I'll still count them even though everything has changed including ZERO Off, skis, boats and drivers.

Edited by swbca
  • Like 1

• Baller

Tournament and practice PB are one in the same. The first time I ever ran a 32 was in a tournament, I ended with a score of 1@35. That was about 10 years ago. I have matched that score a handful of times since in practice and tournaments. Not much progress over the years due to the fact I don’t have access to a course. 

• Baller
On 9/21/2023 at 2:48 PM, skier2788 said:

When considering a PB do you think in terms of rope length or bouy count? My tournament pb is 3.5@38 36mph. I recently slowed to 34 mph and ran 5@38. So which is my PB?

I'm just a rookie/non-competitor, but when it comes to this question, it is reasonable to go to the points chart?  If I read it right, the 36 mph pass is 105.5 points, the 34 mph pass is 101 points, hence, the 36 mph pass is the pb.