Nate Smith Ties World Record (NOW APPROVED)

webbdawg99

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with T!!! I had that conversation with him. I am an ultra marathon runner, wanna be body builder, lift every day, run every day, eat healthy, etc...and here's NATE..."I can run for 16 seconds!!!" "I don't lift, I don't work out..." He kept telling me to stop using my muscles to ski. This is why I wanted to ski with him. If I can ski better without working so hard I'll get hurt less- this is the way I looked at it.

• Baller
Nate is a nice, polite young man. I've met him several times, and he's been nothing but good for the sport to me. I took this shot Saturday when he was just inside 2 at 43 (he ran 41 in 3 of 4 rounds...). He dropped the handle when he didn't get around 2, but as he ran up beside the boat, he thanked the boat crew before they got away.....pretty cool, I thought.

I think @T-fromTO hit the nail on the head. Being a life long tall/thin guy, there seems to be an animosity towards my body type by those who fall under "buff' category. I remember in high school winning pull-up and sit-up competitions in gym class and the big football players who always bragged about how much they could bench-press being pissed that I doubled their scores.

I think people who would otherwise appear to be way stronger than Nate are jealous. However, he gives us thin guys hope and makes everyone re-exam certain paradigms concerning the ideal body type of a slalom skier. Unfortunately, I can no longer blame my lack of performance on the water on my lighter body type!

Regarding personality, he's obviously a reserved, humble individual who fell in love with skiing and got addicted just like the rest of us. @Killer, you don't have to be loud to advance a sport; just look at Gretzky (who similarly took a lot of heat because he was so damn good and a relatively small player).

• Baller
@Brian M. - here here. Well said. No disrespect to the ballers that can bench over twice their weight as that really is quite impressive, but I never understood the drive to bench big weight with respect to sport performance unless you are an O or D lineman in football. If lifting itself is the sport, then, yeah, makes sense, but in most sports leg strength, core strength, and a high strength to body weight ratio is much more desirable (along with other talents like balance, agility, speed, explosiveness, great vision, coordination). This isn't anything new in slalom - tall, lean, strong has always been desired. I think Nate brings a lot of natural talent to the table in addition to his slalom physique.

• Baller

You have to tune your workout for the activity you are interested in, but I don't see a downside to using any muscle that would otherwise be ignored. The more overall control you have over your body, the better you're going to be at any sport.

Nate obviously has inNate fine motor skills.

• Baller
@MS, what about channel swapping while holding a can? In my view, coordination skills can be even further improved by balancing a bowl full of chips over your legs. Great proprioception exercise...

• Baller
I think @jimbrake is picking on me ;-). In fact, he is right. Power lifting doesn't help my skiing. It is just something entertaining to do in the winter. The good news is that I only actually power lift one day a week. The rest of the days I do other exercises which are more beneficial to a person my age who wants to keep skiing.

• Baller

@Razorskier1 - oh hell no. Seriously give you props. I'm the same size as you and I never benched over 205 and that was a long, long time ago. Never worked on it either though. My point was unless you are a power lifter, which you are, I don't get the fascination with bench which isn't very transferable to many sports, yet it has to be the most popular gym exercise there is. I guess big bench numbers just gets the chicks. That has to be it.

Funny, your signature - rehabbing another knee surgery just for fun. I'm doing exactly that myself. Four weeks out since surgery number four (scope number three) on my right knee. It's not happy. Been back on the water for about two weeks, but can't really bear down on it like I want to. Yet.

Nates killing it right now. When I skiid with him right before Moomba, he said hes gotten 3 @43 in practice, so I wouldnt be surprised to see that broken by the end of the year by the kid whose skiid the most 41s in recent memory!

• Baller

@jimbrake -- ya, second scope on this knee. Lots of floaters and torn up meniscus, along with arthritis. It isn't happy skiing.

I look forward to seeing Nate (or Will or CP or . . . ) add another half or whole to the record! I am also anxiously anticipating some stud 34mph guy running 41!

• Baller

Geez all the bench press bashers. Really, it's useless other than bench press competition, gym cred, scaring people, and it is kinda fun. Having said that since 2010 when I hung up my wrist wraps/weight belt, quit lifting freakish heavy and dropped a bunch of body weight I ski better and easier (BOS has helped, too, as well as some coaching and @razorskier1). I still hold my own in the gym but used to have to cut significant weight to make the 198 lb weight class for bench tourneys. I weighed 180 even a few days ago which is what I weighed as a HS senior...but I can still out bench @than_bogan! @razorross3 is now the family bench press freak of nature.

Strong enough is important in skiing, but if XS power means XS weight it's counter productive. Nate is testament to that statement. My bet is the kid rounds 3 ball soon in a tourney if for no other reason I suspect he runs more 41's than anyone giving him more shots at 43. I know I'm pulling for him....and CP too!

• Baller
@6balls has turned into a little girly man ;-). I have dropped from 205 during winter weightlifting season to 195 now. Another 5-10lbs will likely drop off of me if I can ever get water time and get out of the gym. In the meantime, kudos to Nate Smith! Awesome achievement to tie the record!