off topic, the passing of my father

6balls

• Baller

@razorskier1, @razorross3 and myself are about to lose a great man. My dad has decided his fight is done, and took his last dialysis Friday which gives him probably 7-10 days from that date. He taught many of us to ski on a small rock quarry behind a boston whaler called Bud's Bug himself skiing with the "life belt" and split handle. He taught innumerable others to ski both family and friend. Later he won in a sales competition a 13.5 ft Switzer rated for 115hp and promptly dropped a 140 Evinrude on it and it was "on". We vacationed for 2 weeks each July in Wisconsin and Bud brought the boat, the equipment, and the desire to start the boat at sunrise and turn it off at sunset pulling anyone who would take the handle. The amount of gas we burned is the stuff of legend. Later came a 17.5 ft switzer, then a Centurion Barefoot Warrior that Jim eventually bought, and a Centurion Falcon Barefoot that I eventually bought. The barefoot boom took our footing to the next level. He used to meet me in Waterloo and hand time me at 36 mph into 35 off driving that boat...it's still on my lift today.

At the risk of boring you all, I can't help but tell a bit about a man's life that has more to do with who Jim and I have become than anyone else:

Bud grew up poor, lost his dad young, and often his family could afford meat just once/week. A great athlete he got a scholarship and was drafted by the Chicago White Sox as a pitcher. He once struck out 19 of 21 batters faced over 7 innings only to give up a home run to the great Ted Williams (my dad says this ball, not a NASA product, was the first satellite in orbit). At that time pitchers batted as well and Bud hit the longest home run in our home-town commercial club park history to date...it went out of the park, across the street, over 2 houses and landed on the third houses porch.

Bud got injured and became the first lay-teacher and coach in the Catholic HS in Dyersville teaching math and science, and coaching basketball and baseball. Family grew too large (10 kids) for finances and he bought his way into an insurance agency and shortly thereafter became Mayor paving all the streets, curb and gutter, city septic for all. He was voted the national Jaycees "man of the year"

He gave up politics to attack a local healthcare need, raised the funds and was the first to shovel dirt on the Dyersville Hospital project around 1970. That year he was a feature story in "Life" magazine regarding the hospital and recruitment of physicians to his community. Shortly thereafter he lead the charge to form what would become the largest public school district in the state of Iowa. He did this while lecturing in 3 states on the prevention of drug abuse in teens.

Bud eventually bought a second insurance agency, obtained his pilot's license and began marketing for EF Hutton over 14 states while becoming President of the Independent Insurance Agents Association. We got him a plaque that said "When Bud Ross speaks, EF Hutton listens" This year he was inducted into the Insurance Hall of Fame to add to being in the tri-state baseball Hall of Fame.

With my mom he raised 10(I'm #10) kids taking us on lake vacations and spending hours in the boat pulling anyone who would take the handle. We fished in Canada, dove in the Caribbean and shot lots of pheasant. He and Mom traveled the world, and often times his sales over-qualified him for trips and he took family members along. In fact, he once took all 10 kids and one of their spouses to the Cayman Islands on tobacco money he saved from when he quit smoking.

One of the most important things I will take from him is a lesson learned while fishing; he told me everything in one's life may be taken away, except one's honesty and integrity. To lose those you have to give them away; and to never give them away. The other thing he told us was that one day when we pass, regardless of our individual gifts, we will be called to ask how we used our gifts to benefit the greater good. He wanted ALL of us to have an answer. I don't suspect he will have an issue with this in the coming days.

Hell of a run, going to miss him like hell. He never personally rounded a ball...but he's a baller to me.

• Baller
Lovely Dave, I lost my dad 13 months ago. That story hits home. Over time you will think things like "I can't believe he's gone" and maybe even try to pick op the phone one day to call him, only to stop and realize he wont answer. It will get better. Time heals all woulds. But never forgotten. My dad died when he was 63. Pancreatic cancer took him from us in just exactly a year. He was a great supporter of me, and drove the '80 Mastercraft for years. Pulled me on my wakeboard and slalom ski quite a bit growing up. He never got up on a pair of skis. He was a Baller to me, too.

• Baller
Wonderful tribute Dave! Sincere condolences to you and all of Bud's family and friends. I'm sure he will be missed but never forgotten. He's clearly left his mark permanently on the hearts and souls of many. Godspeed....

• Baller
Dave nailed it -- Bud was the best father, mentor and friend I'll ever know. It has been an honor and a privilege to be part of his life. I was looking through a scrap book of newspaper articles my Mom has saved over the years about all the things he's done. It was six inches tall and every page had multiple clippings about the hospital, the school district, and his beloved baseball. By the way, the measured distance of his longest home run was 460 feet. He also regularly won the longest drive competition at our local golf course -- the boy had power! More than anything my Dad lived like a man on a mission. He never stuck his toes in the water to check before diving in with both feet, committed to being the best at whatever he chose to do from sports, to work, to family. Cheers Bud Ross -- you've earned your retirement spot in heaven.

• Baller
I told Jim I felt ill on my way to ski today. 28 opener and 32 I was not thinking about skiing at all but about my dad...I don't think I have ever skied balls and been thinking about something else. In a fitting moment of tribute, ran the 35 tail and a 38 head...gonna call and tell him about it tonight as well as a few other things. Mom's b'day today so going to sing to her on speaker phone as well with my family.

• Baller

Wow. Man, so sorry to hear about this Dave and Jim. Sounds like he was a great influence on many people besides his family. If you have and want to share any pics of him would love to see them.

Best to you and your family,

Jim

• Baller

@andre we each had our time. All 10 kids have been home, some with families. He fired up for a bit after his decision and ate, drank and was merry. We busted a gut around the kitchen table laughing so hard we almost fell from our chairs. I had my chance to tell him he was the best dad, my best friend, and my biggest influence.

Told him he set the bar ridiculously high...but I was coming for him. He told me there is nothing wrong with shooting for perfection, knowing you will never get there. If it was possible to get there, I would get complacent and quit going for more and that I should never quit going for more. Promised him "balls to the wall" in all pursuits until my time comes...just the way he taught me.

• Baller

@jimbrake he was renting Cherokee 9028niner from a construction company at that time. Prior to that he owned a Cessna 210 turbo Centurion 2110 Uniform and later Malibu 9220 Tango. He put about 800 hours on the Malibu in a couple of years marketing for EF Hutton not to mention flying it from Iowa to the Bahamas and also the Northwest Territories of Canada above the tree line.

2 years ago I flew from Litchfield MN in Mooney 194DJ and picked him up in Dubuque, IA. We flew to Duluth MN and toured the Cirrus factory. Took him back to Dubuque, flew back to Litchfield and was home for pizza. Coolest part was one of the best landings of my career in Dubuque with him on board. Just sort of got the sensation that the mains might be spinning on the runway but felt nothing, then the nose came down so soft. Very proud moment.

I flew home to see him on Sunday (and Monday) and took a cell phone pic of the garmin 550 as I had a tailwind on Sunday and was rocking 220 knots. He loved it.

• Baller
Grandpa scuba diving with Mitch, fishing in Canada with Susan and I, all three of our kids, Dave and John. Grandpa and Grandma pontooning at my house on Lake Minnewashta, and last but not least, Grandpa and his family as it was at his 80th birthday party at our house. Yep, that's him plus 10 kids plus most of the nieces, nephews and grandkids. Ya, I'd say he's had an influence on quite a few people!

• Baller
Great story Dave, sounds like he's been a great father and a friend to all. I lost my mom three years ago - very unexpectedly with no time to say goodbye. You are at least fortunate in that regard, but I know it will be tough when the time comes. Hang onto the memories forever and remember that each day will get a little better.

• Baller

I do have to say there was a woman born who afterward the mold was shattered. Regardless of Bud's accomplishments noted above, the best move he may have ever made was proposing to my Mom. First class couple.

Thanks for all of the support, Ballers. Jim and I are typically seen as big tough dudes...but don't let it fool ya we're really softies. This is a pretty tough ride.

• Baller
My thoughts and prayers go out to you, my dad also taught me to slalom (at 5) and I never saw him ski!!! He pulled me and my siblings day in/day out all summer! I lost him 3 plus years ago and not a day goes by wo wishing I could pick up the phone to say hi or drop in for coffee! Spend the time you have with him. It will get better over time! If you need anything, the ballers are here for you.

• Baller
Truly a great tribute to your father and an inspiring story about a man that we would have all been lucky to know. May God Bless your family with the grace and mercy you deserve during this last short, but trying, leg of your father's incredible journey.

• Baller_
@Razorskier1 @Razorross3 Sorry to hear this as I know how you two feel. my Father passed away in Feb. life goes on but their is a hole left. make the best you can with your father in the day's he has left. Peace be with your father and family. We will keep you in our Prayers!

• Baller
I know your thoughts and share your pain as I lost my Dad a couple of years ago. Our Dad's sound very similar and I often feel like there's no way I'm going to measure up to the standard he set. Embrace the memories and the emotions that come with them. And especially be there for your mom as she will just need a shoulder to cry on every once in a while. For example, I saw my mom the morning of the first daylight savings time after Dad had passed (it was a few months later). She had tears in her eyes because she realized it was the first time she ever had to change a clock. It was something Dad had always done. It's the silly little things that will pop up memories. And as you mentioned, time on the water will always remind you of him. I hope these coming days are peaceful and filled with joy for your family.

• Baller
@6balls, @razorskier1, @razorross3 - You all are certainly in our thoughts and prayers throughout the coming days. @6balls - that is a great write up, and really brings to light the things that are truly important in life - family. What a role model your father was, not just for the family, but for those around him as well. Be strong and be tall. Us Baller's are here for you if anything is needed.

• Baller

Just want to say a couple of things.

First, what a fantastic tribute. Well done!

Secondly, what an exceptional man. I hope you guys can take some peace from knowing what a tremendous life your father led.

You are in my thoughts.

• Baller

Jim and Dave after meeting you both I am not suprised that your dad is a hell of a guy!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I like ski dawg lost my dad and best friend a few years ago and I miss him every day! One of our best days was when I was 4 years old he strapped the skis on me and set me on the edge of the lake and told my older brother to Hit It!

• Supporting Member

One nerd's perspective: Fantasy writer J.R.R. Tolkein's mythology (Lord of the Rings) labels mortality as a gift. It was called "The Gift of Men" and it distinguished them from the immortal elves. As a young person, this notion seemed to me like Tolkein was just trying to be perverse. As I get older, I begin to get it. Knowing your time is limited means you need to do something with it.

Sounds like your father understood this and did everything he could to maximize ALL of his gifts.

Congratulations to him on a life well-lived.

• Baller
Dear Ballers -- Bud Ross, our father, grandfather, and friend, passed away this morning at home, in his own bed, at 8:47AM. My sadness is incomprehensible. At the same time, I am very happy that he is no longer in pain. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts.

• Baller

He sounds like a great man. Your story makes me glad I am going to see my Dad this weekend. Since my parents moved to FL I don't see them enough. My Dad taught me to ski and although he doesn't ski anymore it is my son skiing at Nationals which is bringing me to FL.

My condolences on your impending loss.