How do you say "hit it"?

dchristman

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
BTW, I don't like "hit it" as it conveys an aggressive throttle action which may not be appropriate for all sizes or skill levels of skiers. Also, I do think the skier should never tell the driver to go until the slack is out. I have seen too many people make that mistake. Don't assume the driver is always going to check first. Thus, the "in gear" or "tighten up" communications are probably a good idea.

• Baller
I am not picky. I just say "Whenever you're ready". All the people I have ever had drive me put it in gear when I say that and once they see me start to move pull me out. I do the same - I always go in gear until we are snug and then go. I generally keep the line pretty close to tight after shorting it so it only takes a second of gear before pull up.

• Baller

@ToddL

Absolutely, I hate when the driver keeps the line tight before I am ready. I generally keep it about 2-3 feet loose. This is after we shortened and talked to see if the skier wanted anything different. Once that conversation is over I move forward holding short by a few feet.

• Baller_

Occasionally I'll say "Okie dokie, Artichockee," as a reference to my friend Jesse Dobbertin.

If I need to pee and I'm south of Maryland, I always say "Wait a moment while I pray." Few southerners will say no to that one.

#iskiconnelly

Lpskier

• Baller

OK or hit it is our norm.

If I jump in and the wife is driving I say tighten up followed shortly by "^%*&$*($^*(%^ put it in nuetral already!"

With friends it is always volunteered by the skier on their first run that they need a moment, code for taking a leak.

After reading all these I might mix it up and have some fun this weekend.

• Baller

"gear" or "slack out" and one of the following: "hit it" "yep" "giddyup" "yessir" "go boat".

As a driver, I ALWAYS communicate back "Here we go" in case everything went to crap up to this point and the skier needs to let go before something bad happens.

Growing up i was taught to show the handle in the air until the rope was taught, then "hit it" and the boat went.

First time I started skiing with the club I yelled that i was ready multiple times when the rope was tight, there was a delay and then the driver communicated "here we go". Took a few times to get used to but now its a science.

Ill definitely have to try some of those out next time we meet up thought lol

• Baller

The pee break signal for us: a big smile.

I was skiing with a friend and he was in the water. He looked to be ready to go, but wasn't giving the "okay." His dad, a bit frustrated, said, "What are you doing?!" My friend hesitated a moment then said, "Smiling." I took that to my family, and now anyone that needs a moment just smiles at the driver.

• Baller
After talking to the driver (if not one of the usual ones), gear, hit it. And the driver doesn't say anything back: I am not sure how useful it would be, given that if something changes, I'd let go of the handle. Some of the things other people say really cracked me up!